MSI GTX 980ti micro-stuttering, please help..

MichelleS
Go to solution Solved by MichelleS,

OK, so good news and not but more good than not. I upgraded from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro and then ran the bcdedit commands and then ran the games that I play. At 30hz no stuttering at all regardless of graphics setting, however, at 60hz it isn't playable. Could this be the monitor or maybe cable?

In every game I play I am experiencing micro-stuttering. It feels visually as if the game is trying to constantly load from the hard drive.

My current configuration

M/B: ASUS 99x-A/USB 3.1

CPU: Intel 5930K

Mem: 32gig GSkill DDR4 2400

Vid: MSI 980ti Gaming 6g

HD: 2x 250gig SSD and 2TB internal

Vid Drvr: Latest WHQ Nvidia Driver

I am using 2x CTL 2800 4k monitors

I have experienced this issue with a fresh install of Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10. I have tried with just 1 monitor plugged in and still the same thing. I've tried going back to the last 3 Nvidia drivers and still experience the same micro-stuttering.

I have seen a few times in GTAV where changing the refresh rate has helped but it still comes back. I have tried turning off vsync in game and in the Nvidia control panel with no luck.

I have tried switching from displayport 1.2 back to 1.1 and still the same thing.

I bought the video card about 4 months ago, so I'm not sure if there's nothing more that I can do should I just talk to MSI about an exchange?

Run Firestrike to check the Cards overall Performance.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Run Firestrike to check the Cards overall Performance.

I'm confused, sorry. So I'm supposed to buy this program to find out what exactly? Are you saying that the card is not capable of pushing even 1920x1200 without stuttering? 

I'm confused, sorry. So I'm supposed to buy this program to find out what exactly? Are you saying that the card is not capable of pushing even 1920x1200 without stuttering?

No. Just run the free benchmark.And post the result link here.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

OK, this is what I got 

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9541367

Top Result. You can run prime95 and memtest  to make sure your System has no other issues. But your GPU work like it should.

It might be worth uninstalling the current driver and reverting back to an older one. Stupidly enough Nvidia's latest drivers have been really hit and miss so its not always a good idea to use the latest.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It might be worth uninstalling the current driver and reverting back to an older one. Stupidly enough Nvidia's latest drivers have been really hit and miss so its not always a good idea to use the latest.

Ya try this.

But bevore install the new driver, run "driverfusion" and delete all old driver remains. Than you install the new one and check "new installation". But i doubt it helps, otherwise ure FS Score wouldnt be 18k.

As I said, I've gone back several drivers and every one it's the same thing and it's the same thing on fresh installs of Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10. I guess there's just nothing that I can do and am stuck with a bad computer. Thanks tho.

Hello there,

so you say you have stuttering in 3D applications such as games. Well first of all your system specs look fine and your benchmark result was good too. What setting are you using since you play in 4K and are you playing with 2 monitors or 1 at the time?

Do you have the chance to try the video card in another PC by chance? And have you tried what happens if you for from 4K to 1080p? Is it running fine? Also please check your AA setting, running in window or fullscreen mode.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Hello there,

so you say you have stuttering in 3D applications such as games. Well first of all your system specs look fine and your benchmark result was good too. What setting are you using since you play in 4K and are you playing with 2 monitors or 1 at the time?

Do you have the chance to try the video card in another PC by chance? And have you tried what happens if you for from 4K to 1080p? Is it running fine? Also please check your AA setting, running in window or fullscreen mode.

I only play with 1 monitor. I've tried unplugging the second monitor and still the stuttering.

I do not have a second PC.

I get stuttering regardless of any graphic setting from ultra to the lowest available settings.

I get stuttering if I play in full screen, windowed, or full screen windowed.

Dynmictick can sometimes be the cause of Microsutter.

Try running this in CMD as admin

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

Also disable High Precision Event Timer (HPET) in your bios if you have it. 

Hope it works for you.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Dynmictick can sometimes be the cause of Microsutter.

Try running this in CMD as admin

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

Also disable High Precision Event Timer (HPET) in your bios if you have it. 

Hope it works for you.

This command does not work in Win 8.1 Pro, I've tried that too but thank you.

On which drive do you have the game? And do you run a Raid0 or those SSDs in single?

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

On which drive do you have the game? And do you run a Raid0 or those SSDs in single?

OS is on drive C

Games: Raid 0 2x 1TB SSD's

I have also tried to run games outside of a raid setup and it's the same thing.

@MichelleS

What games do you have microstuttering in? You said you bought the card 4 months ago, so did you have this issue since then or did it occur recently? Download MSI Afterburner if you don't have it already and monitor frametime. Then either report some of the highest values it recorded during gaming, or post the screenshot. If it's spiking above 30 ms in every game then you definitely have an issue.

Afaik microstuttering is caused by bad software, cpu bottleneck, or lack of memory. So your GPU is most likely fine.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

As you can see from the Firestrike report I have a good computer. With that said, the stuttering just started within the last week. I'll see if I can't get those values tonight when I get home from work, 

Have you tried reverting to old driver or reinstalling the latest one with the help of DDU?

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

How many memory sticks are you using? Could also be a Frametime issue. I´d try to remove all RAM sticks except for one run Memtest with that particular one and run a game. Test more than one RAM bank and different sticks.

http://imgur.com/a/Rf0Mh

So here are the read outs from MSI Afterburner from GTA on high graphics, GTA on low graphics, and WoW on high graphics. In each game I experience the micro-stuttering regardless of graphics settings.

http://imgur.com/a/Rf0Mh

So here are the read outs from MSI Afterburner from GTA on high graphics, GTA on low graphics, and WoW on high graphics. In each game I experience the micro-stuttering regardless of graphics settings.

Ok, the first SS is what I experience with my GTX 970 using either my i5 4440/ or 4790K, perfectly normal with no bottlenecks. The third SS appears normal as well, but that second one is disturbingly similar to what I see with my GTX 970 when using either one of my LGA775/771 quad cores (aka a CPU bottle neck)-which you should never see with the CPU in your computer. Since you done all that you can to fix the micro stutter and are still experiencing it I'd get into contact with MSI and ask them what else you could do, and if you still can't remove the micro stutter ask if you can get it exchanged. Though if possible it would be a good idea to try it in another computer first.

PMSL

Ok, the first SS is what I experience with my GTX 970 using either my i5 4440/ or 4790K, perfectly normal with no bottlenecks. The third SS appears normal as well, but that second one is disturbingly similar to what I see with my GTX 970 when using either one of my LGA775/771 quad cores (aka a CPU bottle neck)-which you should never see with the CPU in your computer. Since you done all that you can to fix the micro stutter and are still experiencing it I'd get into contact with MSI and ask them what else you could do, and if you still can't remove the micro stutter ask if you can get it exchanged. Though if possible it would be a good idea to try it in another computer first.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm going to contact MSI today and I'll let you guys know what I find out.

OK, so good news and not but more good than not. I upgraded from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro and then ran the bcdedit commands and then ran the games that I play. At 30hz no stuttering at all regardless of graphics setting, however, at 60hz it isn't playable. Could this be the monitor or maybe cable?

Its quite possible its the screen. What model is it?

PMSL

Its quite possible its the screen. What model is it?

CTL x2800 4k