Macro-Enabled Keyboard for CAD Work

bb5x24

I use a CAD program a lot at work. I tend to keep one hand on the mouse and the other on or above the keyboard when using that program. I've been experiencing pain in my hand and wrist some lately, and I think it's at least in part due to having my hands far apart like that. I'm considering getting a keypad with programmable keys and moving my full keyboard, so I can still reach it to type, but use the keypad when I'm working in the CAD program.

I have a Razer Naga mouse that a friend gave me, and I really like having the macros available. It isn't enough for me to put away the keyboard, though. I've looked at Razer's Tartarus and Orbweaver keypads, and Logitech's G13, but I haven't been able to try any out. Does anyone have any recommendations, or cautions? I'm not partial to Razer, except that it would be nice to be able to use them together to "talk" to each other and switch keymaps or profiles.

You only really need Autohotkey to create macros and scripts with an added bonus of working on everything.

With application specific macros, modifier key support etc. it should be pretty easy to create a script and integrate it to your workflow.

- AHK documentation

- AHK forums

- beginner tutorial

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10

Thanks, I'll check that out! Would it also allow me to reassign keys? For example, in the specific CAD program I use, you hold Shift and move the mouse to pan, and hold Ctrl and move the mouse to rotate. Could I reassign them to, say, O and P, so I could keep my left hand in a more natural position while moving around in a model?