Did I mess up ?

Claydelas

Probably just like many of you, i was caught in the Black Friday black hole and rushed out and bought a seemingly really good price to performance monitor. My friends all tell me I messed up since it was an IPS panel and apparently slow (i know it ain't true). They are saying i could have bought a better monitor for the *140$* i spent on this one. Here is what I am talking about:
http://www.lg.com/us/commercial/lcd-computer-monitors/lg-23MB35PM-B/technical-specifications
What do you think, is it good for the 140$ price tag ? Thanks :*
I am mostly asking because I have 30 days to return it if it's not what I was looking for.

It's fine.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

IPS is slower than TN, that's a fact, but depending on what you are doing that may not matter since they have superior colour reproduction.  Are you doing photo/video editing, or gaming?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Probably just like many of you, i was caught in the Black Friday black hole and rushed out and bought a seemingly really good price to performance monitor. My friends all tell me I messed up since it was an IPS panel and apparently slow (i know it ain't true). They are saying i could have bought a better monitor for the *140$* i spent on this one. Here is what I am talking about:

http://www.lg.com/us/commercial/lcd-computer-monitors/lg-23MB35PM-B/technical-specifications

What do you think, is it good for the 140$ price tag ? Thanks :*

I am mostly asking because I have 30 days to return it if it's not what I was looking for.

You're fine.

IPS is slower than TN, that's a fact, but depending on what you are doing that may not matter since they have superior colour reproduction.  Are you doing photo/video editing, or gaming?

Usually gaming, very competitive in fact, but my only choices were 1-4 ms TN vs 5 ms IPS all 60hz.

Looks fine. 

If it's not an absolutely atrocious panel it will very likely never matter. Maybe if you're playing competitive CS:GO at a quite high level or whatever (and I'd even doubt that - I think it's mostly nocebic, tbh), but for everything else, even mainily gaming, I'd go with the just plain nicer looks of IPS over TN 10/10 times.

EDIT:

I don't think you'll notice that one millisecond in ANY way. That's quite decent for an IPS panel (afaik)

It is very meh. Not a great monitor, but I can't compare prices based on me being in the UK.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Usually gaming, very competitive in fact, but my only choices were 1-4 ms TN vs 5 ms IPS all 60hz.

It is true you will not notice a 1 ms difference, and in fact response time doesn't perfectly correlate to motion blur anyway, but if you could compare a 1 ms 144 Hz TN with pretty much anything else, I think as a competitive gamer you will appreciate it :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It is true you will not notice a 1 ms difference, and in fact response time doesn't perfectly correlate to motion blur anyway, but if you could compare a 1 ms 144 Hz TN with pretty much anything else, I think as a competitive gamer you will appreciate it :)

Couldn't spend that much to get a 120hz + anyway. So we are basically comparing response times here.

It is very meh. Not a great monitor, but I can't compare prices based on me being in the UK.

I just converted the currency, not living in USA as well, It's 259 BGN. 95 pounds.

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/statistics

The average human reaction time is 269 ms. If you're sure you need the 4 ms edge go for a TN panel.

Otherwise, enjoy the far prettier IPS panels. (Tell that to your friends if you want to sound dorky)

EDIT: If you think you can pick a better monitor at 140 go to a price/rating website in your country and go from there ;)

My Rig:

Model: P650RG | Brand: Clevo | CPU: 6700HQ | GPU: 980M | RAM: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X DDR4 | SSD: 2x 480GB Kingston KC300 | Screen: 3K Panasonic IPS LED 

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/statistics

The average human reaction time is 269 ms. If you're sure you need the 4 ms edge go for a TN panel.

Otherwise, enjoy the far prettier IPS panels. (Tell that to your friends if you want to sound dorky)

EDIT: If you think you can pick a better monitor at 140 go to a price/rating website in your country and go from there ;)

the 4 ms is response time, which (albeit not perfectly) correlated to motion blur.  It is going to have almost no affect on how quickly he can react to the image.  Now, if it was a factor like input lag, that would make a difference, but the reason people go for quick response times is to ensure the image is clear (not blurred) at all times - not to get it to the screen faster (since that is affected by input lag - something completely different).

the 4 ms is response time, which (albeit not perfectly) correlated to motion blur.  It is going to have almost no affect on how quickly he can react to the image.  Now, if it was a factor like input lag, that would make a difference, but the reason people go for quick response times is to ensure the image is clear (not blurred) at all times - not to get it to the screen faster (since that is affected by input lag - something completely different).

Input and response time tie into eachother, because a theoretical head popping up behind a rock forces the pixels to go from say white to black. which is response time. Do that plus your input time (which is a spec that is usually hidden) And seeing how little that is compared to human reaction times the argument is still valid. Ghosting and blur is very monitor specific and is usually better spotted by looking at a review than looking at response times.

My Rig:

Model: P650RG | Brand: Clevo | CPU: 6700HQ | GPU: 980M | RAM: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X DDR4 | SSD: 2x 480GB Kingston KC300 | Screen: 3K Panasonic IPS LED 

Ghosting and blur is very monitor specific and is usually better spotted by looking at a review than looking at response times.

Yes, that's why I said that it's by no means a perfect indicator.

Input and response time tie into eachother, because a theoretical head popping up behind a rock forces the pixels to go from say white to black. which is response time. Do that plus your input time (which is a spec that is usually hidden) And seeing how little that is compared to human reaction times the argument is still valid.

One could take the opposite stand though; maybe reaction times are already so slow that you should do anything you can to minimize anything that will make them worse :)

I suppose it's much worse on TVs though... most computer monitors are probably around or under 10 ms input lag, while most TVs are more like 30 - 40 ms, which by the way actually can make a huge difference in some games, making them almost unplayable despite the fact that this number is only a small fraction of reaction time. That's because not all things in a game are suddenly reacting to something unforeseen.  Timing and the feeling of control are greatly affected by the time between your inputs and when you see them.  That's one of the reasons 30 fps is so bad.  Not only is it not smooth, but on average you are waiting another 16 ms between your input and getting a response when comparing 60 to 30.

I suppose it's much worse on TVs though... most computer monitors are probably around or under 10 ms input lag, while most TVs are more like 30 - 40 ms, which by the way actually can make a huge difference in some games, making them almost unplayable despite the fact that this number is only a small fraction of reaction time. That's because not all things in a game are suddenly reacting to something unforeseen.  Timing and the feeling of control are greatly affected by the time between your inputs and when you see them.  That's one of the reasons 30 fps is so bad.  Not only is it not smooth, but on average you are waiting another 16 ms between your input and getting a response when comparing 60 to 30.

^^^

That is why I never advocate using a TV as a gaming PC's monitor.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |