Please help me pick an ultra wide curved monitor!

Hello!

I have watched Linus for a very long time but over the past year or so I haven't been able to keep up with tech much as I've been working long hours. I am now in the market to purchase an ultra wide curved monitor today and I am having a very hard time making a choice. Coming from a knowledge base of nothing when it comes to these curved, ultra wide monitors, I have been studying the different top options intently the past two days and I am still unable to separate the good from the bad and make a choice. Here is the criteria I am looking for below and I'm hoping you guys can help me out!

• Budget is $1,000.
  • Must be 34" or larger and 3440x1440 resolution.
  • I will only be using this monitor for poker playing and static media consumption (movies, TV shows, etc.). I don't game anymore, but if I ever decide to game again I have a separate 144hz monitor I will use.
  • Text clarity and overall sharpness is of huge importance to me. 
  • I would really like the lowest chance of having to RMA my monitor. I see that seemingly all of the 34" ultra wides have QC issues, but it does appear some have more QC issues than others. I would really like to factor this into the decision making process.
  • I don't own a calibrator, so if the colors are bad out of the box I will likely just go on google and find settings to use. If this is an issue please incorporate this into the decision.

Like I said I am really stumped and I can't seem to find a reason to pick any one monitor (whether it be Dell, Asus, Samsung, LG, etc.) over another. If you guys can help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much in advance!

Tyler

Hello!

I have watched Linus for a very long time but over the past year or so I haven't been able to keep up with tech much as I've been working long hours. I am now in the market to purchase an ultra wide curved monitor today and I am having a very hard time making a choice. Coming from a knowledge base of nothing when it comes to these curved, ultra wide monitors, I have been studying the different top options intently the past two days and I am still unable to separate the good from the bad and make a choice. Here is the criteria I am looking for below and I'm hoping you guys can help me out!

• Budget is $1,000.
  • I will only be using this monitor for poker playing and static media consumption (movies, TV shows, etc.). I don't game anymore, but if I ever decide to game again I have a separate 144hz monitor I will use.
  • I would really like the lowest chance of having to RMA my monitor. I see that seemingly all of the 34" ultra wides have QC issues, but it does appear some have more QC issues than others. I would really like to factor this into the decision making process.
  • I don't own a calibrator, so if the colors are bad out of the box I will likely just go on google and find settings to use. If this is an issue please incorporate this into the decision.

Like I said I am really stumped and I can't seem to find a reason to pick any one monitor (whether it be Dell, Asus, Samsung, LG, etc.) over another. If you guys can help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much in advance!

Tyler

There are not many monitors like that that exist, so its easy to narrow down the best 

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-34uc97s

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Hello!

• Budget is $1,000.

Tyler

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-34-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00PXYRMPE\

This one seems to be doing pretty well, also has a good rating on newegg, and out of the box, the ultrasharp line from dell is usually good

OAS || AAS || LLS

There are not many monitors like that that exist, so its easy to narrow down the best 

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-34uc97s

Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure how this narrows down the best. There are 5 solid choices in the 3440x1440 range including the Dell option, Samsung, Asus, and multiple LGs.