Will a AMD Athlon x4 860K bottleneck a R9 380?

refinedskillz

Im doing a budget build and this is the only pption i really have? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

Im doing a budget build and this is the only pption i really have? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Most games, you'll be getting good playable framerates.

CPU demanding titles like AC:Unity/Crysis3/Witcher3/GTA5 will have some issues providing the FPS the GPU can provide.

Not all games are affected, but some ones are.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Most games, you'll be getting good playable framerates.

CPU demanding titles like AC:Unity/Crysis3/Witcher3/GTA5 will have some issues providing the FPS the GPU can provide.

Not all games are affected, but some ones are.

Thanks! The only problem i have is GTA 5 but ill put the graphics down a bit.

Thanks to this post I have found some new music for my 8 hour train journey. YAY

Do you play football/soccer?

Cause you look like a left-back

Thanks to this post I have found some new music for my 8 hour train journey. YAY

What? How?

Thanks! The only problem i have is GTA 5 but ill put the graphics down a bit.

As long as CPU demanding titles are at a constant 30fps+ I'd consider them playable to a degree.

I'm sure the GTA5 performance is gunna be around 35fps or so with the ottlenecking of the GPU (From past reports I've seen on the 860K+380)

But as long as its not inducing stutters and such, 35fps as a constant, is playable. (But people will still argue its not cos people have different views on "playable")

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Ehh, you're borderline at the moment. You can skirt around the problem by a good overclock, assuming you haven't already. I ran a similar setup with GTA, A10 6800K and HD 7950, and I could get 40-70 depending on what's going on. What helped me was turning down Population Density and disabling shadows entirely. For CPU-bound games in general, set the process priority to "High" in Task Manager and disable shadows, or turn it down as much as you can.

[witty signature]

Ehh, you're borderline at the moment. You can skirt around the problem by a good overclock, assuming you haven't already. I ran a similar setup with GTA, A10 6800K and HD 7950, and I could get 40-70 depending on what's going on. What helped me was turning down Population Density and disabling shadows entirely. For CPU-bound games in general, set the process priority to "High" in Task Manager and disable shadows, or turn it down as much as you can.

To be honest i need a guide on overclocking CPU's. Where could i find one?

To be honest i need a guide on overclocking CPU's. Where could i find one?

Right here.  You have an AMD CPU, so you can use AMD Overdrive: http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/over-drive

1. Load up Overdrive, navigate to "Clock/Voltage" under "Performance Control."
  2. Increase the Core Multiplier by 1.  Go down to "Stability" and run a test for an hour or so.
  3. If the test goes through without a problem, increase the Core Multiplier again.  Keep going until Overdrive spits out an error or your system hangs.
  4. Either go back to the last stable clock speed and call it a day, or increase the voltage slider pertaining to the CPU by ONE NOTCH.  Increasing the voltage will provide stability and temperature, so monitor your temps while stress testing.
  5. Repeat this process until you reach a clock speed that cannot be stable, or you have increased your voltage to the point that your CPU temperature, when at full load, is at a value you deem too high.  Instead of giving a straight value, AMD's chips will report a "Thermal Margin,"  in which the value shown indicates how close it is to reaching a temperature unsafe for operation.  Eg, your thermal margin is 20° C, it means that your CPU is 20° C below it's maximum safe operating temperature.  I'd keep yours over 15 just to be safe.

Obviously, this will take awhile, but it'll be worth it, I promise.  If you need help, we'll be here.  Good luck!

[witty signature]

How's my music goin :D

Its good. My train ride is gonna be good. 

Do you play football/soccer?

Cause you look like a left-back

Right here. You have an AMD CPU, so you can use AMD Overdrive: http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/over-drive

• Load up Overdrive, navigate to "Clock/Voltage" under "Performance Control."
  • Increase the Core Multiplier by 1. Go down to "Stability" and run a test for an hour or so.
  • If the test goes through without a problem, increase the Core Multiplier again. Keep going until Overdrive spits out an error or your system hangs.
  • Either go back to the last stable clock speed and call it a day, or increase the voltage slider pertaining to the CPU by ONE NOTCH. Increasing the voltage will provide stability and temperature, so monitor your temps while stress testing.
  • Repeat this process until you reach a clock speed that cannot be stable, or you have increased your voltage to the point that your CPU temperature, when at full load, is at a value you deem too high. Instead of giving a straight value, AMD's chips will report a "Thermal Margin," in which the value shown indicates how close it is to reaching a temperature unsafe for operation. Eg, your thermal margin is 20° C, it means that your CPU is 20° C below it's maximum safe operating temperature. I'd keep yours over 15 just to be safe.
Obviously, this will take awhile, but it'll be worth it, I promise. If you need help, we'll be here. Good luck!

Thanks so much!