Recommend me a GPU please.

masked106

Hi guys.

I'd like to be recommended a GPU. I have done many posts on this forum and I change my mind so much because I firmly believe in getting the best value for my money. And this is my irst time getting into PC gaming as I came from a PS3.

I'm looking for a card that

1. maintains 60 frames at 1080p preferably at very high to ultra.

2. Does not cause a blackout around my suburb when I turn my PC on (slight exaggeration)

3. Is going to last me at least 2 years. The rest of my components I have sorted out which I'm getting and will easily last me a long time.

4. I dont really care for things like gameworks, since I've seen many times how much of a shite it is.

5. I do play alot of games, but I will also use this computer quite alot for University and YouTube, so low idle power consumption is a must since my family is not the richest anymore since my parents split up recently.

6. Driver updates I'm not sure if they should concern me, most games coming out now or later on I might not be able to play alot or straight away, so I dont know if that should affect me.

7. My budget is 850NZD.

If its possible please suggest a gpu that won't make me doubt buying it because of something like large power consumption from some reviews.

Please feel free to suggest your gpus, and please post about why you made that choice.

P.S. OC'ing is something I might get into later on. Although please dont suggest a card that is best when I OC it as much as possible.

Thanks for your help.

Hi guys.

I'd like to be recommended a GPU. I have done many posts on this forum and I change my mind so much because I firmly believe in getting the best value for my money. And this is my irst time getting into PC gaming as I came from a PS3.

I'm looking for a card that

1. maintains 60 frames at 1080p preferably at very high to ultra.

2. Does not cause a blackout around my suburb when I turn my PC on (slight exaggeration)

3. Is going to last me at least 2 years. The rest of my components I have sorted out which I'm getting and will easily last me a long time.

4. I dont really care for things like gameworks, since I've seen many times how much of a shite it is.

5. I do play alot of games, but I will also use this computer quite alot for University and YouTube, so low idle power consumption is a must since my family is not the richest anymore since my parents split up recently.

6. Driver updates I'm not sure if they should concern me, most games coming out now or later on I might not be able to play alot or straight away, so I dont know if that should affect me.

7. My budget is 850NZD.

If its possible please suggest a gpu that won't make me doubt buying it because of something like large power consumption from some reviews.

Please feel free to suggest your gpus, and please post about why you made that choice.

P.S. OC'ing is something I might get into later on. Although please dont suggest a card that is best when I OC it as much as possible.

Thanks for your help.

Sapphire AMD R9 390.

Sapphire AMD R9 390.

A 970 would be better for him as he wants to limit power consumption if he can. 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

@up, agreed- the 970 is very good at 1080p and runs most games without a hiccup. Get a GPU like the EVGA or Gigabyte and slap a decent OC on it.

Should I be concerned about the 3.5GB vram thing?? I know some games are beginning to use that 3.5 quite fast.

A 970 would be better for him as he wants to limit power consumption if he can. 

I've seen NVIDIA provide lower energy usage overall

Sapphire AMD R9 390.

Thanks for recommending a 390. What makes you recommend this card?? 8GB VrAm??

Should I be concerned about the 3.5GB vram thing?? I know some games are beginning to use that 3.5 quite fast.

The 390 is more powerful, but it is also much more power hungry.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

It has 8GB VRAM and it's better than the GTX 970.

I ran Skyrim with 80+ mods on my 980ti and that was hovering around 3.7GB. I doubt you'll use that many mods :D

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/