Win 7 steals memory that i need and don't want to give it back.

Arwinnd
Go to solution Solved by Arwinnd,

This is the answer for my problem look if u have similar 

On this website http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-windows-7-superfetch/ man named mendota answered asked by Anon:

Anon:

So how was superfetch actually causing lag in your games? It only does its work (loading stuff into ram) while the computer is idle, and of course if something needs more memory the cache would get dumped as you go.

Very simple the most 3D games load up expecting the reported RAM to be available at a moments notice. Windows reports it as free and ready. Most the time the game will load and take for example 1 gig, but as you play the game and go to more and more places and add more things, build, buy etc. The game require more RAM. However in the meantime Superfetch decides that since the game loaded up with only the one gig, it then proceeds to load up the "extra as it sees it" with other things that you have used recently and might use again. When the game then reaches for more RAM it is not there. There is considerably lag while you wait for Superfetch to free up the RAM it commandeered. Even if it attempts to cache parts of the game itself, it really has no way of effectively knowing what will be used again. It might cache something that if fact you only needed to access once. It is very clear that Superfetch was designed with applications such as Office in mind. Applications that are pretty static in what they do, not dynamic apps such as 3D games that are accessing and demanding resources on an ongoing basis. Superfetch looks for junk to put into RAM. When I had it on, my computer would take literly 7 minutes to load, when I disabled it the computer booted in less than one minute. I will add that this was with Vista. I have not checked the setting since installing Win 7 so I do not know if Superfetch had been fixed or gotten rid of altogether.

Hi. My problem is, that WIN 7 takes 4 GB's of my memory and spams it with what he thinks i will use. But when i need it for BF3, win7 don't want to give me back my memory! Results are dramatic. 20 FPS less then with no memory stolen ( if i restart my pc and if i turn bf3 right away i will have 6 GB's of free memory and it runs smoothly. ) 

Might as well upgrade to 8GB

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

if i restart my pc and if i turn bf3 right away i will have 6 GB's of free memory and it runs smoothly. ) 

Might as well upgrade to 8GB

I think he has 8 GB...

Check in taskmgr what uses the most memory - it may be some spyware/virus.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

download more ram!

http://downloadmoreram.com/

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

I HAVE 8 GB of ram! And system steals 6 GB's of it. 

What programs are you running?

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

It is standby memory. That is memory that system thinks u might use ( for example system may think u will turn on Chrome, Some films, and League of Legends, so he steals place in your memory and spams it with that files needed to run those apps in order to quicker run it, and if u wont run it he should give it back to app which needs it more ) In my case from today, my system is thief. I installed today AMD 13.8 Beta 2 drivers but i want to use it.

Linus WE need U! Come out from Your cave, and guide us master. 

Well if you have a 3d printer...

But a 3d printer is expensive. Downloading ram is much easier

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

It is standby memory. That is memory that system thinks u might use ( for example system may think u will turn on Chrome, Some films, and League of Legends, so he steals place in your memory and spams it with that files needed to run those apps in order to quicker run it, and if u wont run it he should give it back to app which needs it more ) In my case from today, my system is thief. I installed today AMD 13.8 Beta 2 drivers but i want to use it.

You tried to increase page file size?

But a 3d printer is expensive. Downloading ram is much easier

You didnt get him - he thought that you download the ram and then use 3d printer to print the downloaded ram.

zORyMqS.gif

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

turn off superfetch in services

this will solve your problem

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Or get some little program that cleans unused RAM. I used for a while, carefull though, it tends to be unresponsive sometimes (Win 7).

Closing process in task menager and restarting it takes under 5 seconds and solves it.

Here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Memory-Tweak/CleanMem.shtml

"Never trust anyone and rely on your instincts" - If you know who said it, you're awesome

turn off superfetch in services

this will solve your problem

I think that u can't do this. I did PC format. Super-fetch makes PC steal memory to make it standby mode but now i didn't observe problems with games. I don't know if it will occur again.

yes you can, superfectch as nothing to do with standby mode, its to do with pre loading system files that it thinks you may need into memory. If you have an ssd you do not need it enabled.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

yes you can, superfectch as nothing to do with standby mode, its to do with pre loading system files that it thinks you may need into memory. If you have an ssd you do not need it enabled.

I meant memory in standby, u know, available memory, free memory, and so on. Sorry I'm not native English speaker, so sometimes you could not understand what do I mean to say. But thank you for the inside. I think i will not need superfetch anymore. ( first i wanted to turn it off by myself ( then i searched in google and i agree its possible ) ) 

This is the answer for my problem look if u have similar 

On this website http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-windows-7-superfetch/ man named mendota answered asked by Anon:

Anon:

So how was superfetch actually causing lag in your games? It only does its work (loading stuff into ram) while the computer is idle, and of course if something needs more memory the cache would get dumped as you go.

Very simple the most 3D games load up expecting the reported RAM to be available at a moments notice. Windows reports it as free and ready. Most the time the game will load and take for example 1 gig, but as you play the game and go to more and more places and add more things, build, buy etc. The game require more RAM. However in the meantime Superfetch decides that since the game loaded up with only the one gig, it then proceeds to load up the "extra as it sees it" with other things that you have used recently and might use again. When the game then reaches for more RAM it is not there. There is considerably lag while you wait for Superfetch to free up the RAM it commandeered. Even if it attempts to cache parts of the game itself, it really has no way of effectively knowing what will be used again. It might cache something that if fact you only needed to access once. It is very clear that Superfetch was designed with applications such as Office in mind. Applications that are pretty static in what they do, not dynamic apps such as 3D games that are accessing and demanding resources on an ongoing basis. Superfetch looks for junk to put into RAM. When I had it on, my computer would take literly 7 minutes to load, when I disabled it the computer booted in less than one minute. I will add that this was with Vista. I have not checked the setting since installing Win 7 so I do not know if Superfetch had been fixed or gotten rid of altogether.