6700K vs 5820K OCed, which has better SINGLE THREAD performance?

I make games. Some of the programs rely on a single core. I have been talking with people because I was originally going to just go with the 6700k and be done with it..until I realized that Amazon are the only ones that have it and it is 440 plus tax..so nearing $500 for just the proc.

So last night I ordered a 6600K and the Asus z170 deluxe. I love me the Asus deluxe boards. I got the 6600k because I just can't justify the $200 premium right now. The plan was to wait and then sell the old proc and upgrade to the 6700k once prices came down.

However, people are still insisting I get the 5820k. So for a single thread application which is better when overclocked with say a junk cooler like the Evo 212? I am really unsure right now...I have everything else ordered..Fury X, 3 4K monitors and more. I just need to decide on which platform.

Should I keep the 6600k or send it all back and get the X99 deluxe and 5820k? PLEASE keep in mind this is for SINGLE thread performance. Not multicore. Can the 5820 match the 6700k at all in single threaded programs? Are there any benchmarks? Power usage between the two platforms?

I just need some help with this. I was dead set on the 6700 but now I have no idea....

For single-threaded performance, the 6600K and 6700K both crush the 5820K.

And the 6700K is so expensive right now because there is a shortage that won't be resolved until around the holidays.

That is what I thought but everyone was trying to tell me the 5820k can overclock and beat the 6700k. Then after that they said the new 2011 chips coming out god knows when will be faster for single thread stuff.  Is there any truth to that or no?

That is what I thought but everyone was trying to tell me the 5820k can overclock and beat the 6700k. Then after that they said the new 2011 chips coming out god knows when will be faster for single thread stuff.  Is there any truth to that or no?

Next 2011 CPU will be Broadwell-E, which is still 1 gen behind Skylake.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

So in other words...I made the right call?

For anyone who does these things this is the information I have found online! Unity likes single thread performance. When you build projects it ONLY builds on 1 core. Maya likes single thread performance for realtime modeling and cores for rendering. So if you are just building things in Maya you want single thread performance again. Those are the big ones I know about.

So in other words...I made the right call?

For anyone who does these things this is the information I have found online! Unity likes single thread performance. When you build projects it ONLY builds on 1 core. Maya likes single thread performance for realtime modeling and cores for rendering. So if you are just building things in Maya you want single thread performance again. Those are the big ones I know about.

You made the right call. You didn't even need the 6700K. The 6600K will be just fine.

Awesome guys. Thanks so much.

One more question if you wouldn't mind. What air cooler would you guys suggest for overclocking? Just mild overclocks, nothing crazy. I kinda wanted a water cooler but I guess some of the AIOs are loud? I got the 212 evo cause it was cheap and looked like it would get the machine running.

I would like to eventually do a full closed loop with the Fury eventually but more because I just wanna do it than anything else.

212 EVO is an excellent choice. Another popular option is the Cryorig H7, but you are fine with what you got unless you want to water cool.

Sounds good to me. Can't wait to get back home and throw it all together. This is a pretty decent build IMO. Very excited. Thanks again!

I make games. Some of the programs rely on a single core. I have been talking with people because I was originally going to just go with the 6700k and be done with it..until I realized that Amazon are the only ones that have it and it is 440 plus tax..so nearing $500 for just the proc.

So last night I ordered a 6600K and the Asus z170 deluxe. I love me the Asus deluxe boards. I got the 6600k because I just can't justify the $200 premium right now. The plan was to wait and then sell the old proc and upgrade to the 6700k once prices came down.

However, people are still insisting I get the 5820k. So for a single thread application which is better when overclocked with say a junk cooler like the Evo 212? I am really unsure right now...I have everything else ordered..Fury X, 3 4K monitors and more. I just need to decide on which platform.

Should I keep the 6600k or send it all back and get the X99 deluxe and 5820k? PLEASE keep in mind this is for SINGLE thread performance. Not multicore. Can the 5820 match the 6700k at all in single threaded programs? Are there any benchmarks? Power usage between the two platforms?

I just need some help with this. I was dead set on the 6700 but now I have no idea....

Why are you getting the 6600k? It'll save you money to fork out the cash and just plain get the 6700k instead of upgrading later.

CPU: i5 4690 GPU: Powercolor R9 390 RAM: 2X4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill Ripjaws X Case: NZXT S340 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H CPU Cooler: Some cooler I took off of an old Socket 775 Mobo

Cause I am not handing over almost $500 for that proc. It just isn't happening. We are talking $200 MORE than I paid for the i5. $250 if you order it from a retailer that would charge tax on the i7. Least the i5 is closer to retail pricing. I know it sounds crazy but it's how I wanted to do it.

Also, Amazon 3rd party were the only ones with it in stock. Who knows what kinda warranty issues could have arose. It just seemed safer to deal with the 6600k for now. Maybe toss it into a media PC later. I could also sell it to a friend. Good thing about Intel procs is they REALLY hold their value.

Sorry but what a pointless question, unless you're running a game, software or OS older than 5 years single threaded performance means nothing.

Heck all the latest games/software use all cores/threads, a simple ini edit for Fallout 4 allows it to take advantage of 12 threads over the default 4.

A 5820k will crush a 6600k.

Why in 2015 are we focusing on single thread performance, anything that does use single thread would be lucky to get the cpu above idle speeds.

Look this question will resurface once Skylake-E hits the shelves, and I can bet anything the song will be sung in it's favor due to it's 6 to 10 cores and multi-threaded performance like when Haswell-E hit the shelves.

(Flame away  ;) )