New Build Old HDD

I am building a computer and I am using my mother's old HP TouchSmart Computer Hard Drive. Will this even work with my new build? It has things on it so I'm not alowed to wipe it which I wish I could do but will this effect my new build if it has other driver's on it and Windows 7 Home Premiumm, and a few pics and games. But I can't wipe it.

I don't see why it would stop you from using your computer. Hard drives are cheap get a new one shortly after you build it.

Thank's it has been worrying but I was already planing on getting a WD Caviar Black after I build it anyway so that plays right into my wheelhouse! Thanks for the help.

Yes, it should work. But performance wont be as good until you uninstall all the old drivers and stuff and install the latest drivers of your new pc parts...

CPU: AMD FX 6100 Stock - MB: Asus M5A97 EVO - RAM: AMD Memory Entertainment Edition 2x4 GB 1600 MHz - PSU: Topower 650W NANO - SSD: Samsung 840 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 RPM - GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor - X OC - CASE: Aerocool Strike - X Advance (Red/Black) - OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

you cant instantly recycle an hdd. you need to reinstall windows on it first

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure on that? I know I have to install new driver's but a whole over-haul on windows?

If the HDD still has the Windows OS on it then you shouldn't use it as the boot drive. If you get a new drive and install Windows on it, then you can plug in the old drive, and then pull all the important data off it.

I wouldn't recommend it as the boot drive, since it's an older drive and is more likely to fail at this point in time.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking