Looking to 970 SLI, Questions!

phongle123

Hello everyone. I am going into SLI and have some questions.

I already have the MSI GTX 970 4GD5T OC. I want to SLI this.

Question 1, what 2nd card can I SLI:

1) Does it have to be the same exact card, or 2) can it have to be any GTX 970 in the MSI brand, or 3) can it be any GTX 970 card no matter the Brand.

Question 2, if not Answer 1) for Question 1, does a card different from the exact card have a different impact or will having the exact same card provide the optimal performance?

Question 3, the MSI GTX 970 4GD5T OC clock speed is "1102MHz Core (Boost Clock:1241MHz)" and the MSI GTX 970 Gaming OC has 3 clock speeds for Silent, Gaming, and Overclocking. Does this matter if I plan on Overclocking both cards to 1400+ Mhz anyways? Assuming I get the MSI GTX 970 Gaming OC along with my MSI GTX 970 4GD5T OC.

Thank you guys. Any other answers or insights are appreciated.

It can be literally any other 970. If you have them OC' ed the same, there won't be any performance loss.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Can be any 970 no matter the brand. The clock speeds will be adjusted to whatever the slowest of the two cards is. Just something to note.

If the new card you buy has lower clock speeds, the performance of both cards will be lowered as one card gets down clocked to match the other. Again, this isn't something to worry about unless you're putting the money into a ridiculously high clocked GPU and then pairing it with a stock card. You can OC to fix any issues if you feel so inclined.

Question 3; I don't know for sure. I don't have MSI cards. I'd imagine there's a way to force both cards to run at a specific clock speed. Otherwise the one card will force the other card to adjust its clock speeds (again, not totally sure).

Edit- @jcw150 <- I'd do what he says. Better performing single card solutions tend to be a better deal than SLI/Xfire systems simply because that 1/50 chance that you'll get stutters, driver issues, etc..

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Actually unless you have a 4k monitor or are planning to get one very soon I would just wait.

Edit- or 1440p 144hz monitor

Actually unless you have a 4k monitor or are planning to get one very soon I would just wait.

If I wait, should I just keep the MSI GTX 970 4GD5T OC version or get the MSI GTX 970 Gaming OC which costs 30$ more?

If I were to overclock a single 970. The Gaming OC versions 3 clock modes shouldn't matter, correct?

Also to note, the Gaming OC version has a huge wall of awards from the hyperlink while the 4GD5T OC version has none.

EDIT: What I worry about is heat causing the room to burn up. If the difference is minuscule then I will not go through the return and buy process from the website. But heat is definitely a matter in my situation.