[Folding Rig Build Log] "Till Death Will it Fold"

iamdarkyoshi

what if it is?

There's a tiny variation between the two.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Out of curiosity, why'd you choose Ubuntu with Unity? My only experience with Unity is that it's a massive resource hog compared to the alternatives. At least install a different DE, I guess.

I cant seem to get the control to work. Any other suggestions to use? I have a 4GB flash drive and I will be trying to find my 4GB RAM kit.

If you like Ubuntu, you can always just use Lubuntu or Kubuntu, both use a much lighter DE, Lubuntu probably being the lightest.

http://www.kubuntu.org/

http://lubuntu.net/

This is my first time using linux for something that isnt dinking around. I will try lubuntu,

Good luck, in that case. If you need any help, feel free to send a PM or something. 

Well, I got it installed and the client and control are both working. However, I cannot seem to get the GPU to fold, it just says "Ready" and the CPU is folding (at 65 PPD)

Is this system running off just a flash drive and no actual HDD? I tried doing that and couldn't get it to work, care to share how you did that? Also, subbed! This build reminds me of one of my builds. I was given an HD 6870 with really bad artifacting issues so I fixed it.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

Is this system running off just a flash drive and no actual HDD? I tried doing that and couldn't get it to work, care to share how you did that? Also, subbed! This build reminds me of one of my builds. I was given an HD 6870 with really bad artifacting issues so I fixed it.

When you create your flash drive, enable persistence. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/

My flash drive lives on the motherboard's USB port.

Update Three: I suck at anything other than windows.

I cannot get this machine to draw more than 100W from the wall. It IS folding, but after an hour, the GPU accomplished .1% and the CPU reached about 12% 

I am thinking I might need to steal the HDD from my xbox 360. Unless it is IDE...

Right now, it is more of a vacuum cleaner than furnace.

Update Three: I suck at anything other than windows.

I cannot get this machine to draw more than 100W from the wall. It IS folding, but after an hour, the GPU accomplished .1% and the CPU reached about 12% 

I am thinking I might need to steal the HDD from my xbox 360. Unless it is IDE...

Right now, it is more of a vacuum cleaner than furnace.

That's unfortunate, but keep trying!

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

Those drives are sata, so go for it! :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

So I found a 250GB hard drive in my box of nintento whee stuff. I used it as a WBFS drive. Friend stole my mario kart. 250GB is a little excessive, but I will have to run windows on this thing.

perfect :)

Update (posting from mobile, will update op later)

She lives!

KQ3LAnD.jpg

Drawing 200w max

lGB68k4.jpg

200w seems a bit low for the GPU itself having a TDP of 200w. Seems odd. But it is folding. 2.7% and 1.75% at the time of posting this. Gpu temps around 55.

Wow that power draw :o

Update (posting from mobile, will update op later)

She lives!

Drawing 200w max

200w seems a bit low for the GPU itself having a TDP of 200w. Seems odd. But it is folding. 2.7% and 1.75% at the time of posting this. Gpu temps around 55.

It's beautiful.  :o

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC