Confused myself with what kind of cable I need

MattTheMayor
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

Use a DVI-to-HDMI cable.

My friend is going to get a new monitor (LG 25um57-p ultrawide). His other monitor which he's gonna use as a secondary has hdmi. The one he wants uses hdmi. His gfx card has only 1 hdmi, 1 vga, and 1 dvi ports. I was wondering what kind of cable to get. Whether it's DVI or VGA, I need it to be have an adapter to hdmi to use the monitor. I confused myself and I was wondering which one I need as female and which one I need as male.

Live in the US and looking for the cables on amazon. Thanks :)

You'd need Male to Male I think.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

My friend is going to get a new monitor (LG 25um57-p ultrawide). His other monitor which he's gonna use as a secondary has hdmi. The one he wants uses hdmi. His gfx card has only 1 hdmi, 1 vga, and 1 dvi ports. I was wondering what kind of cable to get. Whether it's DVI or VGA, I need it to be have an adapter to hdmi to use the monitor. I confused myself and I was wondering which one I need as female and which one I need as male.

Live in the US and looking for the cables on amazon. Thanks :)

Are you sure both monitors only use HDMI? They should take other inputs like DVI so you wouldn't need an adapter.

EDIT: the LG is only HDMI, but what about the secondary one.

Are you sure both monitors only use HDMI? They should take other inputs like DVI so you wouldn't need an adapter.

EDIT: the LG is only HDMI, but what about the secondary one.

his secondary one is a tv and that only has hdmi.

What is the resolution of the monitor?

HDMI -> DVI will only send a single link signal which can carry only up to 1920x1200 pixels at 60 frames per second.

As it is an ultrawide monitor it most likely has more pixels than that and you will be limited to 30 FPS if that is so.

You would need an ACTIVE DVI-Dual LInk -> HDMI converter to avoid this problem.

What is the resolution of the monitor?

HDMI -> DVI will only send a single link signal which can carry only up to 1920x1200 pixels at 60 frames per second.

As it is an ultrawide monitor it most likely has more pixels than that and you will be limited to 30 FPS if that is so.

You would need an ACTIVE DVI-Dual LInk -> HDMI converter to avoid this problem.

That's only true if it's DVI on the monitor and HDMI on the graphics card. All he has to do is reverse that and go from DVI on the GPU to HDMI on the display and the graphics card will send HDMI signals, with the increased pixel clock, enough to handle 2560x1080 at 60Hz. No need for converters.

both male right? thanks!

Yes, all monitors and graphics cards have female connectors, all cables are male connectors unless you're looking for a cable extender.

That's only true if it's DVI on the monitor and HDMI on the graphics card. All he has to do is reverse that and go from DVI on the GPU to HDMI on the display and the graphics card will send HDMI signals, with the increased pixel clock, enough to handle 2560x1080 at 60Hz. No need for converters.

Would you care to shed a little more light on this for me?

This is the first time I have seen anyone say that, but I have hundreds of times seen people complaining in reviews of these converters that they only do single link, and with no mention anywhere that they would be dual link compatible in either direction.  I fact I have only ever seen the passive converters advertise to be single link and support 1920x1200 @ 60.  Most of them have dual link DVI connectors though, but claim to not support the extra bandwidth.

Could you link me a passive converter that advertises more bandwidth than this?  I would be useful for all those times, when people ask something like this.

edit -

According to the link in your signature, both DVI and HDMI use completely different methods for expanding the available bandwidth from 1920x1200 @ 60.  You say that with passive adapters (as long as HDMI is driving it I believe?) "it's a toss up" which doesn't sound so great when you are giving recommendations to people of something to buy.

Would you care to shed a little more light on this for me?

This is the first time I have seen anyone say that, but I have hundreds of times seen people complaining in reviews of these converters that they only do single link, and with no mention anywhere that they would be dual link compatible in either direction.  I fact I have only ever seen the passive converters advertise to be single link and support 1920x1200 @ 60.  Most of them have dual link DVI connectors though, but claim to not support the extra bandwidth.

Could you link me a passive converter that advertises more bandwidth than this?  I would be useful for all those times, when people ask something like this.

edit -

According to the link in your signature, both DVI and HDMI use completely different methods for expanding the available bandwidth from 1920x1200 @ 60.  You say that with passive adapters (as long as HDMI is driving it I believe?) "it's a toss up" which doesn't sound so great when you are giving recommendations to people of something to buy.

It is single-link only in terms of the pinout, but it's not limited to the limits of single-link DVI. When the display is HDMI, the pixel clock is matched to the HDMI spec, whereas if it's in the other direction the pixel clock is matched to single-link DVI.

This is why audio works on DVI-to-HDMI adapters when used from a DVI GPU to an HDMI display, but not the other way around.

It's not as much of a toss-up as I made it sound, sorry my guide wasn't clear. In all or nearly all GPUs the DVI and HDMI ports share the same controller and the DVI ports are capable of HDMI pixel clock, and so can be used with adapters at full HDMI bandwidth. In nearly all displays, the DVI ports do not take in HDMI signals, they will only accept DVI signals (so no audio). Whether it is restricted to 165MHz or not depends on the display controller and firmware, some enforce the spec strictly and others don't. And now we're basically talking about the "overclockability" of monitors. So in that sense yes it's a toss-up, but in the other direction at least, from DVI to HDMI, it should work at full bandwidth with audio in every case. It's just the HDMI to DVI case that varies.

It is single-link only in terms of the pinout, but it's not limited to the limits of single-link DVI. When the display is HDMI, the pixel clock is matched to the HDMI spec, whereas if it's in the other direction the pixel clock is matched to single-link DVI.

This is why audio works on DVI-to-HDMI adapters when used from a DVI GPU to an HDMI display, but not the other way around.

It's not as much of a toss-up as I made it sound, sorry my guide wasn't clear. In all or nearly all GPUs the DVI and HDMI ports share the same controller and the DVI ports are capable of HDMI pixel clock, and so can be used with adapters at full HDMI bandwidth. In nearly all displays, the DVI ports do not take in HDMI signals, they will only accept DVI signals (so no audio). Whether it is restricted to 165MHz or not depends on the display controller and firmware, some enforce the spec strictly and others don't. And now we're basically talking about the "overclockability" of monitors. So in that sense yes it's a toss-up, but in the other direction at least, from DVI to HDMI, it should work at full bandwidth with audio in every case. It's just the HDMI to DVI case that varies.

Thanks for clearing that up.

So, it has nothing to do with the adapter then?  Makes me wonder why the sellers aren't mentioning this...