Computer won't start when new RAM is inserted.

refinedskillz

Hello everyone. Some time ago, i bought myself four extra GBS of DDR2. To go along with my current 4. I have 4 slots on my mobo, but whenever i boot, my pc makes ram beeping erros. Ive seen other people get 8gb, but i dont know how. Any help?

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

What speed?

What voltage?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

So I don't know how applicable this is to your case, but there were a few generations there where getting all four dimms to work was a total crap shoot.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

DDR2

lol, i'm sorry, DID YOU BUY DDR2!?!!?

"Life's too Short, Use Express Install" Express install subject to spying
                                        -Microsoft 2015

DDR2

Some people don't have the money for a more modern system.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

DDR2

he woudlnt be able to get it in the slot if he didnt 

unless he forced it... in that case hes beyond our ability to help

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

Some people don't have the money for a more modern system.

Yeah i understand that, like i have 32GB Of Corsair Platinum DDR4

But still DDR2? 

DDR3 sells so cheap in the UK

-Microsoft 2015

But still DDR2? 

you do realize that some boards need ddr2 right? 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

But still DDR2? 

Boards that take DDR2 are incompatible with DDR, DDR3, and DDR4...

If you didn't know that, I can't believe that you have 32GB of Dominator Platinums.

Boards that take DDR2 are incompatible with DDR, DDR3, and DDR4...

If you didn't know that, I can't believe that you have 32GB of Dominator Platinums.

Yes, i do know this

I'm not a idiot

-Microsoft 2015

Yes, i do know this

I'm not a idiot

then why would you make a comment asking why he got ddr2 instead of 3......

anyways to try and help op

first things first, are both sets of ram the same? same timings, voltage, brand(preferably)

try posting your pc with just the new ram, if it doesnt post you have bad ram, try different configurations of all ram 

but most likely if they are different kits then they may not be compatiible, it really is a crap shoot when you combine different ram sets, thats why people say to get all your ram at the same time if possible to avoid stuff like this

Yes, i do know this

I'm not a idiot

i get what ur saying, alot of my folks use the old hardware, and im rocking i5 4690k r9 390 850 evo sdd, and laughing at them behind there backs,

but hey if an older gen pc hardware gets the job done so be it.

But still DDR2? 

Iv'e stuck with one DDR2 board my whole life, i plan to change in a month.

What speed?

What voltage?

I don't know the voltage. I know the speed of all my ram is 800 mhz

So I don't know how applicable this is to your case, but there were a few generations there where getting all four dimms to work was a total crap shoot.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

Literally for a few generations of motherboards a good 75% of all motherboard/cpu combo's just wouldn't run 2 dimms per channel properly.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

then why would you make a comment asking why he got ddr2 instead of 3......

anyways to try and help op

first things first, are both sets of ram the same? same timings, voltage, brand(preferably)

try posting your pc with just the new ram, if it doesnt post you have bad ram, try different configurations of all ram 

but most likely if they are different kits then they may not be compatiible, it really is a crap shoot when you combine different ram sets, thats why people say to get all your ram at the same time if possible to avoid stuff like this

It's annoying. The current ram im using is korean, i bought another set of korean, they are completley diffrent brands, but they have similar clocks, i though only the clocks needed to be the same, and someone told me you cant have more than 4GB of ram in a DDR2 board.

Literally for a few generations of motherboards a good 75% of all motherboard/cpu combo's just wouldn't run 2 dimms per channel properly.

Oh, right. Well i have an AMD Phenom 9850 quad core Black edition at 2.7ghz. My mobo is a Gigabyte MA-770-UD3

It's annoying. The current ram im using is korean, i bought another set of korean, they are completley diffrent brands, but they have similar clocks, i though only the clocks needed to be the same, and someone told me you cant have more than 4GB of ram in a DDR2 board.

if they are both say 9-9-9-24 (example of ddr3 timings) and say voltage is the same at say 1.5v then they should run, but if the timings are different or different voltages they might not work

there should be a sticker on the ram saying what the voltage and timings are, if not refer to manufacturers website

Iv'e stuck with one DDR2 board my whole life, i plan to change in a month.

Ah i just assumed you bought the wrong Type of ram

-Microsoft 2015

Did you force the ram sticks down,

They require plenty of force to put in, even more so for a old computer.

According to GIGABYTE's website, it supports up to 16 GB

Like zzenigmaxzz suggested, you need to try a single stick in each slot, then the other sticks in a working slot to make sure all slots / ram sticks are working

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!