Asus PG279Q Round 2? Or get Dell S2716DG?

solinvictus01

I received my Asus PG279Q today. i was very excited. This is my first "gaming" monitor. I plugged in the monitor, and I was immediately greeted by some pretty heavy Back Light Bleed. I tried lowering the brightness and configuring the color profile to see if that would help but it didn't. The Back Light Bleed was still present. I then noticed a stuck pixel and a cluster of pixels that weren't stuck, but they shined much brighter than other pixels whenever there was a bright screen. To top it off, the monitor was acting weird whenever I launched a game. The screen started flickering and the image was getting all distorted. It would stop once the game fully loaded. But it wasn't something I was used to seeing. 

I started the return process on Amazon. And now I'm stuck between re-ordering a new PG279Q or going for the Dell S2716DG. 

My current daily driver is the Asus PB278Q (PLS, 60Hz, 2560x1440) monitor. It's been my daily driver for the last couple of years. I do NOT do color/photo editing or graphic design. I use my monitor primarily to play games, Netflix and Chill, and the occasional light video editing.

I'd like to know what you fine people at LTT think about this. Would I be better off re-ordering a PG279Q? Is the Dell S2716DG not a good choice? Or will the Dell be a good choice?

I would like to add that I do not plan on replacing my Asus PB278Q, The PB278Q will remain as my second monitor. Either the Dell or the PG279Q will be used as my primary monitor. 

Thank you,

Geth Intel Core i5 2500k  |  ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z  |  ASUS GTX980 Strix |  G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1600MHz  |  Fractal Design Node 804  |  Noctua NH-U12S  |  Schiit Modi/Magni  |  Corsair AX650 650W 80PLUS Gold  |  Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB SSD  |  Corsair Force Series GT 480GB SSD |  WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD  |  WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD  |  ASUS PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440 Monitor  |  Logitech G710+  |  Logitech G9X |

I'd say roll the dice on another Asus (just because the Dell is TN). For whatever reason the QC on these super high end monitors seems to be severely lacking from just about every company that puts them out. My XB270HU has 2 stuck pixels, but no backlight bleed or other problems. The pixels are out of the way so I don't really care, but I expect more from a $700 purchase.

As others have noted, the Dell is TN, so just make sure that's what you want. On the plus side, the user reviewers ive looked at were all positive.

I'm on my 2nd Pg278Q, just got the new one in today and this time I won the panel lottery I think. Its surprisingly close to IPS quality. The viewing angles still suck though, but the colors aren't off and it doesn't have the washed out look my previous swift had. I'm actually quite stoked because I was going to get the pG279Q but it cost 250 more and seems to have some brutally bad IPS glow. I can definitely live with this Pg278q, poor viewing angles and all as the color looks so much better. I think my previous one was calibrated wrong or something because I could never get the colors to look right.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB