Laptop for university

NeutronGTX

As stated in the title I'm looking for a laptop, budget is not a concern. I do not need a very powerful CPU or a gaming grade GPU however for productivity I really want a 1080p 14-17 inch screen as I have tried 1366x768 and it feels really cramped.

P.S I am also planning to add an SSD to the laptop so an easily upgrade-able laptop would be a bonus.

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2X4GB) 1600MHZ, Mobo: Asus P8Z77M, Chassis: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass editionStorage: Seagate 1TB + Samsung 2TB In RAID 0 + Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS, Mouse: Steelseries Sensei, Keyboard: CM Storm Quick Fire Pro, Monitor: BenQ G2410HD + Samsung SA1900

You don't want a MacBook Pro I suppose?

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

As stated in the title I'm looking for a laptop, budget is not a concern. I do not need a very powerful CPU or a gaming grade GPU however for productivity I really want a 1080p 14-17 inch screen as I have tried 1366x768 and it feels really cramped.

P.S I am also planning to add an SSD to the laptop so an easily upgrade-able laptop would be a bonus.

what are you studying and planning to do on this laptop? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Most laptops that have 1920x1080 resolutions are ultrabooks, or have a Geforce 940M. But, on the bright side, the ones with dedicated graphics aren't as much as the ultrabooks, believe it or not.

what are you studying and planning to do on this laptop? 

I am studying BSc (Maths Science)(Computer Science)

I plan on using it for the purpose of doing projects and maybe some very light gaming

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2X4GB) 1600MHZ, Mobo: Asus P8Z77M, Chassis: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass editionStorage: Seagate 1TB + Samsung 2TB In RAID 0 + Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS, Mouse: Steelseries Sensei, Keyboard: CM Storm Quick Fire Pro, Monitor: BenQ G2410HD + Samsung SA1900

You don't want a MacBook Pro I suppose?

I have never tried OS X before and while I can afford one, I don't find the price:performance ratio to be very compelling.

What is your budget?

If you are going to do light-gaming, what type of games are we talking about? Be specific. 

Does battery life matter?

Are you going to take notes or whatever with your laptop in class or what?

your biggest concern for school is how light it is. i bought something like this  and while the price to performance is pretty good but its heavy.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Performance-i5-5200U-15-6-Inch-Dedicated/dp/B016PY3SLC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1448286747&sr=8-13&keywords=gaming+notebook

knowing your budget helps a lot though because the best recomendation would be surfacebook and thats a pretty penny.

What is your budget?

If you are going to do light-gaming, what type of games are we talking about? Be specific. 

Does battery life matter?

Are you going to take notes or whatever with your laptop in class or what?

As I mentioned in the original post, the budget does not matter, you can recommend anything from $1 to $10k as long as it represents a compelling value for money I do not care how much it costs.

By light gaming, I mean older AAA titles and newer indie titles, so nothing a GT 940M can't handle.

Battery life does matter quite a bit.

Yes, I will be using it to take notes as well as do projects.

As I mentioned in the original post, the budget does not matter, you can recommend anything from $1 to $10k as long as it represents a compelling value for money I do not care how much it costs.

By light gaming, I mean older AAA titles and newer indie titles, so nothing a GT 940M can't handle.

Battery life does matter quite a bit.

Yes, I will be using it to take notes as well as do projects.

Do you even know why we need to know your budget? Are you really sure you want to carry a $10k, 10 pound machine around? No right. So give us a budget. It does not matter whether it is a rough estimation or a specific one, it is easier for us people here helping you with shit out.

And since your budget is up to 10K, get the laptop that Linus just reviewed in his latest vid. Max out the specs, you still have money left.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Do you even know why we need to know your budget? Are you really sure you want to carry a $10k, 10 pound machine around? No right. So give us a budget. It does not matter whether it is a rough estimation or a specific one, it is easier for us people here helping you with shit out.

And since your budget is up to 10K, get the laptop that Linus just reviewed in his latest vid. Max out the specs, you still have money left.

You want the budget in order to narrow down your recommendations, that is why I specifically omitted the budget figure because it limits the recommendations people are able to give, I am looking for a solid well-built machine with good battery life that is also adequate for my needs therefore constraining the budget would limit the available options as I am willing to pay a premium for a quality device. 

The laptop Linus reviewed is hardly a good example seeing as for my needs it would be woefully overkill spec-wise and as such does not represent a good value for money. I am not spending money for the sake of spending it.

P.S if it makes it easier for you, a rough estimate of $500 to $750 will do.

P.P.S If you notice I said "from $1 to $10k" not as a literal representation of my budget but instead to show people that budget is not a concern.

You want the budget in order to narrow down your recommendations, that is why I specifically omitted the budget figure because it limits the recommendations people are able to give, I am looking for a solid well-built machine with good battery life that is also adequate for my needs therefore constraining the budget would limit the available options as I am willing to pay a premium for a quality device. 

The laptop Linus reviewed is hardly a good example seeing as for my needs it would be woefully overkill spec-wise and as such does not represent a good value for money. I am not spending money for the sake of spending it.

P.S if it makes it easier for you, a rough estimate of $500 to $750 will do.

P.P.S If you notice I said "from $1 to $10k" not as a literal representation of my budget but instead to show people that budget is not a concern.

How about this Dell laptop?

This laptop has a beefy ass specs, lol. 

It is $10 dollar more than your budget, but I think it is perfect. Of course, I don't know how good the battery life is. 

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-GeForce/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_25?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448420830&sr=1-25&keywords=Laptop