Contemplating an Upgrade to a 980 Ti

SometimesStuff

I currently have a standard GTX 660, I've been thinking of upgrading, eventually I want to get everything upgraded but I can only really do it bit by bit. I could upgrade my CPU for cheaper to an i7-4790K but since I eventually want a Skylake compatible motherboard, I struck that off and looked at my GPU.

PSU is EVGA Supernova P2 650W, incase that's a question you may ask!

So, I eyed the 980 Ti, that's the highest I am able to dump into a GPU until I save up more money, my real question is, is there a better upgrade for price to performance? I am awful at working these things out and still learning a lot about bits inside the case.

Really, in the Nvidia camp there isn't a better card, unless you go for a titan X. 

To be honest, I would get a 970 until the Pascal cards out. 

You want skylake, so I am assuming DDR4 in the future. I hope the new line of GPUs will aimed at the 4k/144hz market. You'll want a futuristic GPU to go with your skylake build. 

Your CPU will suffice for a 980Ti, and it's the best single card you can get as far as gaming goes right now :) R9 290X/390/290 are better price/performance-wise but if you want the best performance, the 980Ti should be your choice

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

The 980TI is the best your gonna get without spending an overkill amount on a TitanX. 

My PC: i5 4690k===MSI GAMING 3===980TI===8GB-Corsair-Vangence-Pro-Series===H100i-GTX===EVGA G2 750W===Samsung 850evo m.2 boot drive===Samsung 250gb evo SSD===Seagate-Barracuda-1TB-HDD===NZXT-H440

980ti with aftermarket cooler and sick overclock (typically get higher binned ones from gigabyte) actually out perform a titan x at a very much lower price.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

If it's price-to-performance, you might actually be better served with a 980 or even a 970.

If you game primarily in 1080p, you don't really need the 980 Ti. But if you plan on doing any 1440p and/or high framerate gaming soon, you might as well go for it.

If you want the best money can buy, without getting a Titan X, then yes, the 980 Ti is it.

As for your PSU, you'll be fine.

---

Im waiting on pascal before I drop the ball on a new gpu

Intel i5 4690k | NZXT Kraken x61 | MSI z97 Gaming 5 | MSI GTX 970 EVGA Supernova G2 750 G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2133mhz [2x8] | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD NZXT H440 [black and Red]

Saving for a Dream rig :)

I currently have a standard GTX 660, I've been thinking of upgrading, eventually I want to get everything upgraded but I can only really do it bit by bit. I could upgrade my CPU for cheaper to an i7-4790K but since I eventually want a Skylake compatible motherboard, I struck that off and looked at my GPU.

PSU is EVGA Supernova P2 650W, incase that's a question you may ask!

So, I eyed the 980 Ti, that's the highest I am able to dump into a GPU until I save up more money, my real question is, is there a better upgrade for price to performance? I am awful at working these things out and still learning a lot about bits inside the case.

What games do you run and at what resolution/framerate? Something like an R9 390X might be more appropriate.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Currently playing Fallout 4 and Heroes of the Storm (also Hearthstone but anything can run that!), my time wasting games are not going to need a great deal, but I will be looking at picking up the next Deus Ex and Tomb Raider when those come out. I'd like to say the idea of a 970 makes a bit of sense with future plans, allows me to hold some of the money for a more significant upgrade.

Certainly given me more to think about than I initially was, didn't really even consider the AMD cards, though, I'm not keen on the power requirements of the R9 390X. As for the Titan X, I would love one and some bigger monitors to go with it, sadly, I don't have that kind of dosh :(

My 660 will find a new home anyway, it can rest when it's dead!

The 980ti is perfect for maxed out 1080 gaming. You don't have to compromise your settings for fps, and that's why I'm staying on 1080 until I throw a second 980ti in, I have a hybrid which is a reference pcb hitting 1503 MHz, go for a lightning on sale, or like the msi variant. You'll want an aftermarket pcb so you can hit crazy overclocks and not worry about thermals as much. The strix has had a rough start, but they're popping back up, and a serious competitor now. As far as powersupply, I have a 850w powering my oc'd 5820k plus the 980ti and 12 fans and I can pull over 450 from the wall, so it will be completely fine :)