Dual Monitor Heat Problem

Blew

I have an EVGA GTX 670 FTW and am running two monitors at the moment. One is 1080p and the other is 1024x768 and when i plug the second one in my gpu temp rises about 12° Celsius at idle.

Is this normal? And is there any way to lower the increase? Thanks.

"The internet is a series of tubes"

Although there would be a slight increase do to a little more work, It's not normally that much.

However, the way GPUs work is that they stay at a low frequency, like 300mhz when they're not doing much and then jump up to say 1Ghz when they're being used. Having just the 1080p monitor could be just enough to keep it at 300mhz but once you add the second one, the gpu needs a higher frequency, therefore a higher temperature. 

But, I have the same setup with a less powerful card and my temps stay low. This was just a guess.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

From my knowledge this seems relatively normal. You have to think your GPU is working to display 2 images at the same time, and GPUs run really really hot. Other than getting some liquid cooling I can't think of anything to bring that temp down. What are your temps?

From my knowledge this seems relatively normal. You have to think your GPU is working to display 2 images at the same time, and GPUs run really really hot. Other than getting some liquid cooling I can't think of anything to bring that temp down. What are your temps?

31° idle without a second monitor about 44°with the second one.

"The internet is a series of tubes"

31° idle without a second monitor about 44°with the second one.

Oh I wouldn't be concerned then GPUs are built to be able to stand temps way hotter than that, as long as everything works alright and your video game performance is good I wouldn't be worried.