College computer

I am a college student, and I work during the summers. I currently have a Lenovo Thinkpad T510 that I adore and I love Thinkpads. However, I am unable to carry it, my books, notebooks, etc. due to thickness and added weight (I am an Eagle (not bragging) so I am use to heavy backpacks but It gets tiresome for 8-9 months out of the year).

I don't have the space, there for I have been really eyeing a Macbook Air, but I have also had my eye on a Macbook Pro. What do yall think, Air or Pro. It will be used strictly and taken to school for papers, PP slides, internet browsing, and taking lots of notes. Everything else is used on my T510 at home. Let me know what you think and I will save up. I will be buying refurbished/used A/B+ condition. Where have you purchased a mac used and had good experience?

Also, what book bag would you recommend that can hold tons of stuff that is waterproof or has a rain fly added on? I could always use a trash bag too!

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

I am a college student, and I work during the summers. I currently have a Lenovo Thinkpad T510 that I adore and I love Thinkpads. However, I am unable to carry it, my books, notebooks, etc. due to thickness and added weight (I am an Eagle (not bragging) so I am use to heavy backpacks but It gets tiresome for 8-9 months out of the year).

I don't have the space, there for I have been really eyeing a Macbook Air, but I have also had my eye on a Macbook Pro. What do yall think, Air or Pro. It will be used strictly and taken to school for papers, PP slides, internet browsing, and taking lots of notes. Everything else is used on my T510 at home. Let me know what you think and I will save up. I will be buying refurbished/used A/B+ condition. Where have you purchased a mac used and had good experience?

Also, what book bag would you recommend that can hold tons of stuff that is waterproof or has a rain fly added on? I could always use a trash bag too!

Well the Macbook Air is just a bit more portable than the Pro. That being said with what you want to use it for, the Air is the best choice-though you could always do the same with a tablet/convertible tablet/Surface

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

i never understand why some people carry so much stuff to college, i mean you shouldn't need your text books in lectures seminars etc you only need one notepad and then a few pens calculator ruler etc

WOW that is the fastest I've had anyone reply. I was leaning towards the Air but never hurts to get opinions.

FYI to all this will be a 13 inch size.

ORLY?

You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

i never understand why some people carry so much stuff to college, i mean you shouldn't need your text books in lectures seminars etc you only need one notepad and then a few pens calculator ruler etc

Some text books still aren't digital-which is frustrating. And TBH with earlier laptops, such as my Compaq R3000 (4KG with its 12 cell battery+FDD+ODD+120W adapter for its desktop P4) you were better off carrying a lot of textbooks than a laptop with digital copies (mostly your own scans of the text book).

WOW that is the fastest I've had anyone reply. I was leaning towards the Air but never hurts to get opinions.

FYI to all this will be a 13 inch size.

Perhaps a Windows tablet then?

PMSL

I am going to school to become an RN and will be going to for my Masters after I achieve my Bachelors. So I will be going to a lot of classes and doing a lot of studying on campus. It all depends on the instructors/professors you have when it comes to the books.

ORLY?

Some text books still aren't digital-which is frustrating. And TBH with earlier laptops, such as my Compaq R3000 (4KG with its 12 cell battery+FDD+ODD+120W adapter for its desktop P4) you were better off carrying a lot of textbooks than a laptop with digital copies (mostly your own scans of the text book).

Perhaps a Windows tablet then?

I would do a tablet but I need a keyboard and a trackpad. I am not a huge fan of touch screens for things like this.

ORLY?

I am going to school to become an RN and will be going to for my Masters after I achieve my Bachelors. So I will be going to a lot of classes and doing a lot of studying on campus. It all depends on the instructors/professors you have when it comes to the books.

There is that. Are any of the text books available as digital copies? That'll save your back from the weight of at least some text books.

I would do a tablet but I need a keyboard and a trackpad. I am not a huge fan of touch screens for things like this.

This list might be helpful:

http://www.cnet.com/au/topics/laptops/best-laptops/thin-light-laptops/

http://www.techradar.com/au/news/mobile-computing/laptops/best-13-inch-laptops-which-is-right-for-you-901574

Though maybe not a Chromebook. You could pretty much just buy the cheapest (non Chromebook) laptop from both pages and it'd do what you want.

PMSL

Thanks. I'll take a look at the links tomorrow. Back to studying for test! :P

I'll see what other people have to say as well. I'll let yall know and mark it solved when I make up my mind.

ORLY?

As a guy who has a MacBook Pro Retina I would recommend getting the Air or another laptop of similar specs and size, i.e. Lenovo Y50.  The Air is really good despite what many PC master race individuals say, when it comes to portability and convenience it does great. 

In addition the battery live is incredible. 

As a guy who has a MacBook Pro Retina I would recommend getting the Air or another laptop of similar specs and size, i.e. Lenovo Y50.  The Air is really good despite what many PC master race individuals say, when it comes to portability and convenience it does great. 

Yep-it also kicks the crap out of the 2015 "shudders" Macbook.

PMSL

There is that. Are any of the text books available as digital copies? That'll save your back from the weight of at least some text books.

This list might be helpful:

http://www.cnet.com/au/topics/laptops/best-laptops/thin-light-laptops/

http://www.techradar.com/au/news/mobile-computing/laptops/best-13-inch-laptops-which-is-right-for-you-901574

Though maybe not a Chromebook. You could pretty much just buy the cheapest (non Chromebook) laptop from both pages and it'd do what you want.

A quick reply before heading to bed: I took a look at the links you gave, I have looked at the cnet list before but not the techradar. Thanks for those. I will mention that my dad had a computer company for over twenty years before he past, and the main brands he despised was HP and Dell. I say them being brought in all the time because of the quality and lack of money that was put into the products. If I go with Windows it will be with Lenovo, Acer, Asus, and possibly Samsung although I don't know much about their computers. The Air is also the other brand that is being decided on. I am wanting the laptop to be able to last me at least five years of schooling and I know Lenovo and Apple will last that long without a question. Not sure about Acer and Asus. Opinions are welcomed good or bad, ugly or not. It will be interesting who comes out with what by the middle of summer. We'll see. Thanks again. I'll be back on tomorrow.

Also, Dabobminable. I didn't see your question about the text books. I am not sure. I won't know until I find out what books I am getting at each semester. I am at a community college at the moment, then transferring to a university for the last two years/masters so it is going to be hard to tell. Some of my instructors (that I have had and will have again) are in love with older editions that you're lucky to find new online.

ORLY?

A quick reply before heading to bed: I took a look at the links you gave, I have looked at the cnet list before but not the techradar. Thanks for those. I will mention that my dad had a computer company for over twenty years before he past, and the main brands he despised was HP and Dell. I say them being brought in all the time because of the quality and lack of money that was put into the products. If I go with Windows it will be with Lenovo, Acer, Asus, and possibly Samsung although I don't know much about their computers. The Air is also the other brand that is being decided on. I am wanting the laptop to be able to last me at least five years of schooling and I know Lenovo and Apple will last that long without a question. Not sure about Acer and Asus. Opinions are welcomed good or bad, ugly or not. It will be interesting who comes out with what by the middle of summer. We'll see. Thanks again. I'll be back on tomorrow.

Also, Dabobminable. I didn't see your question about the text books. I am not sure. I won't know until I find out what books I am getting at each semester. I am at a community college at the moment, then transferring to a university for the last two years/masters so it is going to be hard to tell. Some of my instructors (that I have had and will have again) are in love with older editions that you're lucky to find new online.

Lenovo have had problems with their superfish malware-so I myself don't trust them despite their laptops, at the very least older Asus laptops had very good quality, Acer has always been a bit meh to bad when it comes to build quality, and Samsung I've never even dealt with when it comes to computers (apart from their excellent hard drives). I understand with the instructors-I had one like that with my IT course at college.

And NP, always happy to help-although I've never used a new laptop at college myself as I had to make do with either a 2006 Asus A3H (which I upgraded heavily) or a 2010 HP Pavilion DV6-which also was heavily upgraded (its actually quite a good laptop-comparable still to a lot of new ones). Also, Compaq has gone pretty bad since a few years after HP bought them (I used to own a Compaq Presario R3000-it was one of their last great laptops that wasn't branded as being HP).

PMSL

Mac Air is for those who want swift performance and long battery life in a lightweight machine for a reasonable price. Power users and photo and video editors should step up to the 13- or 15-inch MacBook Pro, which offer very sharp Retina displays along with beefier processors in heftier designs. While more expensive, the 15-inch Pro is really the only choice for those looking for workstation-class performance.

The 12-inch MacBook is a niche system. It's the most portable choice in Apple's lineup, but it also costs just as much as the 13-inch Pro (which offers more speed and a bigger display) and it's $300 more than the 13-inch Air (which has more battery life and ports). So get the MacBook only if you want to travel really, really light. For the vast majority of shoppers, the 13-inch Air continues to be the best choice, but the 13-inch Pro is a close second because of its better screen.

i was a mech engr major and used an asus e slate windows tablet for all my classes. my senior year i ditched all books and only used pdfs.  get a j create wormhole usb bridge.  its works as a kvm and data transfer device so i can use campus pcs. when u go there will most likely a place where your major will hangout.  if like mine then sharing is caring cuz i only needed to buy like 2 books while at school.

If i was you i would pick a surface pro 4 or lenovo yoga 900.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Thanks nielsenfiore and Dackzy for the input.
Thank you as well hk29! I was looking for something like that about a year ago! I'm defiantly getting one regardless!
Thanks for the info Dabobminable!
I'll keep this open till I get something and I'll post pictures. Any more suggestions are always welcomed. Never going to know who will come out with something by mid summer.

ORLY?

I'm just popping in to say if you can get an Asus Transformerbook T100 or any of its skews (I have a T100TAM) they're really really good 2in1's. Great for taking notes with a stylus and great for showing teachers stuff. Also can play older games like Mount & Blade Warband without a hitch and can almost run TF2 (Should be able to play it fine if you optimise the settings). I personally can't imagine any other product being as good for as little money as this thing. I absolutely adore it and really think you should give it a consider.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a classmate who is selling her macbook air 2014 i5 1.7 ghz 4gb mem, 68gb ssd, almost perfect condition, 11.6 inch for $400 flat. Decent price? I am super interested since I have a crap load of classes next semester that I will benefit from having a computer with me. I have to let her know on Friday since next week is our last week. Response ASAP would be awesome of yall. It is so appreciated. Thanks for the suggestions and if this doesn't work than I will do lots of homework on yalls suggestion. I know what I am getting (which I like what I've heard and seen) with the Air.

ORLY?

I have a classmate who is selling her macbook air 2014 i5 1.7 ghz 4gb mem, 68gb ssd, almost perfect condition, 11.6 inch for $400 flat. Decent price? I am super interested since I have a crap load of classes next semester that I will benefit from having a computer with me. I have to let her know on Friday since next week is our last week. Response ASAP would be awesome of yall. It is so appreciated. Thanks for the suggestions and if this doesn't work than I will do lots of homework on yalls suggestion. I know what I am getting (which I like what I've heard and seen) with the Air.

TBH, you could buy better laptops for the same price. That being said, since its the 2014 model the battery will still be good and it can do a bit more than tablets of a similar size.

PMSL

I am not looking so much at multi-tasking as I am with just looking at slides/making notes, typing papers, and doing online homework, all while on campus. So I don't need allot of humph. The biggest seller is the battery, thinness, and weight. My book bag will be stuffed and the thinner/lighter, the better.

ORLY?

I am not looking so much at multi-tasking as I am with just looking at slides/making notes, typing papers, and doing online homework, all while on campus. So I don't need allot of humph. The biggest seller is the battery, thinness, and weight. My book bag will be stuffed and the thinner/lighter, the better.

It will do those tasks fine, its just that you could get better specs for less (the build quality and battery life wouldn't be the same)

PMSL

Understood and completely agreed. Build quality is a huge factor in general for me, great battery life for on campus use it's going to be a must. I'd rather trade the better specs for great BQ an BL. I have my T510 for all the heavy stuff I do, which I never do until I am home and on the docking station anyway (where it stays 95% of the time).

I do appreciate your opinion and suggestions Dabombinable, it has been a huge help. +10 for you. I'm surprised there has been any fanboys coming out for this post. (*knocking on my wood desk like it's a front door*)

Ready to hear what everyone else says.

ORLY?

Understood and completely agreed. Build quality is a huge factor in general for me, great battery life for on campus use it's going to be a must. I'd rather trade the better specs for great BQ an BL. I have my T510 for all the heavy stuff I do, which I never do until I am home and on the docking station anyway (where it stays 95% of the time).

I do appreciate your opinion and suggestions Dabombinable, it has been a huge help. +10 for you. I'm surprised there has been any fanboys coming out for this post. (*knocking on my wood desk like it's a front door*)

Ready to hear what everyone else says.

Well pretty much for basic tasks a Macbook air is perfect, considering last year while at college I was able to make do with an Asus A3H (at the time its specs were: Celeron M380, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD that runs between 50-60oC, battery worn to 44% capacity). And apart from its battery life (TBH extremely good for a laptop that turns 10 next June) its got outstanding build quality, features and display (can be viewed from any angle perfectly) which you'd have to pay a fortune for with newer laptop, which is why I could stand it despite its limits. You'd have to wait and see (and the battery definitely won't last as long) but for standard use at college the Macbook Air should last at least 5 years, or until Apple's latest OS are no longer supported. Also don't worry about the fanboy's, at the right price Apple laptops become extremely good value (though that's mainly to do with the high build quality).

PMSL

Well pretty much for basic tasks a Macbook air is perfect, considering last year while at college I was able to make do with an Asus A3H (at the time its specs were: Celeron M380, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD that runs between 50-60oC, battery worn to 44% capacity). And apart from its battery life (TBH extremely good for a laptop that turns 10 next June) its got outstanding build quality, features and display (can be viewed from any angle perfectly) which you'd have to pay a fortune for with newer laptop, which is why I could stand it despite its limits. You'd have to wait and see (and the battery definitely won't last as long) but for standard use at college the Macbook Air should last at least 5 years, or until Apple's latest OS are no longer supported. Also don't worry about the fanboy's, at the right price Apple laptops become extremely good value (though that's mainly to do with the high build quality).

Wow, that thing had to have weighed 8 pounds at the least. Hey if it runs good, feels good, and looks good, why toss it? Plus a lot of the new/newer stuff is expensive as hell.

Agreed.

I know how to handle those di*ks. I agree 110%, if only they are a little cheaper. One thing to point out strengths but some people go too far.

ORLY?