HELP! EVGA GTX 780 SC vs EVGA GTX 780 Classified...

Hi guys, 

New to the forum!

I will be building a new rig soon in a 900D. I'm set on 780 SLI, on an EVGA Dark motherboard (EVGA fanboy - just a little...) but the question is which version of the 780 to go for? I love the Geforce GTX Green Logo on the standard cards (which is why I want the 780 SCs') - AND my build was going to be green in colour scheme - BUT I also love the look and performance of the Classifieds. Also the 900D is a BIG case and I think the Classifieds will "fill" the case a little bit more, as they are larger cards. 

But I just don't know - I'm really torn between the two choices. These two are the only versions of the cards that I want - I don't want the Lightning for example, nor anything else.

What would you guys do? 

Thanks a lot for your time. 

They look really similar! What resolution will you be gaming at?

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Classifed is EVGAs best version of 780. Honestly you are being weird if you think you will run out of space in that case. Im sure a 10 year old could fit in it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Sorry, I should clarify. Cacao - The SC version that I want is the one WITHOUT the ACX cooler - it's got the stock fan on it and the GeForce logo etc...

I will be gaming at 2560x1440 but will probably be upgrading that setup within a few months!

And no, you're right brownninja - my fear is that the case will look a little bit too "empty" if the two cards aren't big enough. 

This is what it comes down to - do I prefer performance, or the look of the two logos glowing in SLI....and that's why I'm torn haha....both brilliant options.

go with the Classified.. Get some green LED's and make your Classified card glow :P

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

Sorry, I should clarify. Cacao - The SC version that I want is the one WITHOUT the ACX cooler - it's got the stock fan on it and the GeForce logo etc...

I will be gaming at 2560x1440 but will probably be upgrading that setup within a few months!

And no, you're right brownninja - my fear is that the case will look a little bit too "empty" if the two cards aren't big enough. 

Oh sorry, I thought they both had the ACX cooler, in that case for performance I would go for the ACX, but for looks I would go with the stock cooler. Good luck with your build!

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Btw, thanks for the quick responses guys. The forum is amazing!

At this point I'm leaning toward Dual SC 780s' - and I say that because I don't think the boost in performance with the Classified's is something that I'm gonna need. Dual 780 SCs' should make mincemeat out of most games at the resolution that I'll be playing at - AND I'll have the kickass logos. The 780 classifieds will be better/faster but I don't think they'd complement my rig as well as the SCs'.....

Anyway, thanks for the input guys.

I was wrestling with this same question, ACX vs Resource card looks.  I am only going to use one and not two cards however.  I was leaning toward performance, both in terms of framerate, temps and noise - since that is what the computer is for.  I plan to run in 1080p and will use it to play MMOs like WoW, GW2, Final Fantasy, Wilstar and ESO.  While I love the look of the reference cards, it seems like I the card has issues with noise and performance as the heat increases.  Any feedback from current reference card owners on their real world experience?

Thanks, Scott

I was wrestling with this same question, ACX vs Resource card looks.  I am only going to use one and not two cards however.  I was leaning toward performance, both in terms of framerate, temps and noise - since that is what the computer is for.  I plan to run in 1080p and will use it to play MMOs like WoW, GW2, Final Fantasy, Wilstar and ESO.  While I love the look of the reference cards, it seems like I the card has issues with noise and performance as the heat increases.  Any feedback from current reference card owners on their real world experience?

Thanks, Scott

The noise isn't too bad on the stock coolers, I had one on an open setup for a month or so and it was bearable still, so inside the case you should be fine. As for filling the 900D, watercooling is probably the best way to completely fill it.

[spoiler=Current Rig:]i5-4670K @ 4.4 Ghz on 1.3v | MSI Z87I | GTX 780 @ 1150 Mhz | 2x8GB ADATA XPG | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | CM V700 PSU | Custom Watercooled in a Caselabs S3

[spoiler=Peripherals:]Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 | Corsair K70 | Sennheiser Urbanite headphones | Corsair Vengeance MM200 | Asus PB278Q + Samsung 22"

get the sc, and watercool them, 780 komodo block from swiftech springs to mind

I've heard that a student can say anything he/she wants

2 evga titans with there glowing green logos and even better performance could look good

MoBo: GA-z77x-ud3h CPU: 2500K @ 3.1 (miss my h80) Cooler: Stock GPU: EVGA 780 ACX RAM: 8gb G.skill SSDs: 2X Sammy 120EVOs HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracudas PSU: Corsair RM750 Case: Blue NZXT H440

The Classifieds are binned for better Overclocks...otherwise very similar.

i7-4770K, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB, Samsung 840 120GB, 2xSeagate Barracuda 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ACX Cooler, NZXT Phantom 820, Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold, 2xASUS VH238H Build Log- http://bit.ly/1bWZKu6

Thanks all.  I finally just pulled the trigger on this one (which is the EVGA GTX780 with ACX cooler and FTW performance).  I didn't think I needed the larger cooler and performance of the classified.

While the green lettering of the reference card was a strong pull, I ended up choosing the card I think will be quieter, and hopefully cooler and thus preform a tiny bit better.  I am sure it will be vastly better than my 3 year old iMac graphics card.  LOL.

Thanks again,

Scott

• 11 months later...

I don't know about this but I think the chips in Classifieds are Cherry Picked

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW