How do I switch from intel graphics to my gpu

CaptainWaffles
Go to solution Solved by CaptainWaffles,

Its solved now, sort of, I just took out my graphics card and just used intel integrated graphics for now.

I have been having this problem with my graphics card. I have a nvidia quadro fx 5800 (I know that its old). How do I change from my intel graphics to my graphics card. I tried going through nvidia control panel but it doesn't work. Anyone got any suggestions?

you plug the display into the GPU instead of the motherboard

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Are you physically plugged into your gpu?

Yes it is connected through PCI-E if thats what you meant, but my PC to monitor connection is HDMI through my motherboard (DVI wasn't working for my GPU).

you plug the display into the GPU instead of the motherboard

I tried that but it didn't work. I had to do it through my motherboard.

I tried that but it didn't work. I had to do it through my motherboard.

You can't. you have to plug your monitor in through the GPU. If it's not working, you may have a GPU problem.

You might have to disable or set it to prefer a GPU in your bios.

Oh I think I can do it in my BIOS. I have an MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition motherboard. Do you guys know how to set it that way?

You can't. you have to plug your monitor in through the GPU. If it's not working, you may have a GPU problem.

My PC recognizes my GPU

you may have to disable intel graphics in your mobo but you should automatically see video output from your graphics card. 

Captain Waffles, DVI should work. Perhaps your cable isn't compatible, try a different DVI cable. As far as  your original question, usually there is a setting in the bios as to which GPU to initialize first, Usually it'll say something like "primary display" or some such thing and have a choice like "IGP" for onboard or "PCIE" for your discreet GPU (quadro). Set it to PCIE of course. Also DVI adapters are junk, see if you can borrow a cable or go to monoprice.com and get one on the cheap.

Oh I think I can do it in my BIOS. I have an MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition motherboard. Do you guys know how to set it that way?

There should be an option under advanced settings, it should be labeled intel graphics or something like that. I wouldn't touch it until you can get a display running from your graphics card first. 

• 2 weeks later...

Its solved now, sort of, I just took out my graphics card and just used intel integrated graphics for now.