Changing PSU on a brand-PC?

Bazilias

Get an 500/550 Watt PSU from either EVGA or Seasonic. (Ja samo neznam koliko ce ti to kostati.)

Hello guys,

i have a problem, and i believe somebody can help :)

I have a HP Compaq 6200 Pro Microtower PC with a power supply with 320W. I want to upgrade my PSU, so i can install a new and better GPU for some games what I want to play. But my question is, can i change a PSU on brand-PC like my PC? And how much watts i need for all my components? If somebody can answer my question, i will be very happy. :D

I hate to tell you this, but there really isn't much upgrade options for your PC. The PSU doesn't follow the ATX standard of having a 24 pin, so you would either need to make an adapter or change out your motherboard..... but your motherboard isn't ATX either, its BTX which means that a new motherboard wouldn't fit unless you get a new case as well. I guess you could get a short 750 ti, since it won't interfere with your CPU heatsink and wont require the 6 pin power, or you could do a whole system re build.

I hate to tell you this, but there really isn't much upgrade options for your PC. The PSU doesn't follow the ATX standard of having a 24 pin, so you would either need to make an adapter or change out your motherboard..... but your motherboard isn't ATX either, its BTX which means that a new motherboard wouldn't fit unless you get a new case as well. I guess you could get a short 750 ti, since it won't interfere with your CPU heatsink and wont require the 6 pin power, or you could do a whole system re build.

i will see by the HP-Support in Zagreb if they change the PSU, but i believe i can change, but i will se

Get an 500/550 Watt PSU from either EVGA or Seasonic. (Ja samo neznam koliko ce ti to kostati.)

Hvala buraz na savjet, ja cu vidjeti dalje, ja mislim da se moze mjenjati, ali trebam se jos informisati. ;)

Hello guys,

i have a problem, and i believe somebody can help  :)

I have a HP Compaq 6200 Pro Microtower PC with a power supply with 320W. I want to upgrade my PSU, so i can install a new and better GPU for some games what I want to play. But my question is, can i change a PSU on brand-PC like my PC? And how much watts i need for all my components? If somebody can answer my question, i will be very happy.  :D

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core-i5 2400 with 3.1GHz (95W TDP)

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

Motherboard: HP Motherboard Model 1497

GPU: Sapphire HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 128-bit without a power connector on it (i planning to upgrade on a Sapphire AMD R9 270 OC 2GB GDDR5 256-bit)

PSU: 320W PSU from HP

HDD: 250GB WD Caviar Blue

and for more details there is a picture of the PC from inside 

post-257139-0-86370800-1447789587_thumb.

A friend of mine brought a branded pc (HP) and he changed the psu its fine.

My son has a 6000MT that i bought him. Does that green wire from your PS go to a 4 pin connector on the MB ? Also, the 6000 series pinout is different from standard ATX so you can't do it without modding the 24 pin unless they changed it. I had to buy him a 750ti because we couldn't upgrade his PSU. Now I do have the pinout from that 4 pin if your computer has it. Let me know.

As long as it fits u should be fine I would recommend looking up what brand to buy in the PSU buyers guide on the LLT forums get like a Tier 2 brand

and I would highly recommend anything other then a HP powersupply those things are build down to a price and can't take a whole lot

Spoiler

CPU: R7 5800x -- Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X v2 -- RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade -- GPU: Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming OC -- Case: Fractal Design North Walnut/Black Mesh -- Storage: 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 4TB NM790 -- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 Platinum 650w -- Displays: AOC AGON  AG352UCG, Dell Ultrasharp U2715H -- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 -- Mouse: Corsair M65 -- Keyboard: Func KB 460 MX Blue -- Sound: Motu M2 -> THX 789 -> DT880 600Ω -- Mic: RØDE NT1-A

Spoiler

RIG 2: Intel i5-8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070S

Spoiler

ACK, you have the stupid P@ connector ! NO...you can't just swap them. I will post the pinout for that POS !

pinout.jpg

I have the 8000 series technical manual that i got that from if you want it, same PSU as the 6 series :(

EDIT: Also 6 pin, not 4 sry !

My son has a 6000MT that i bought him. Does that green wire from your PS go to a 4 pin connector on the MB ? Also, the 6000 series pinout is different from standard ATX so you can't do it without modding the 24 pin unless they changed it. I had to buy him a 750ti because we couldn't upgrade his PSU. Now I do have the pinout from that 4 pin if your computer has it. Let me know.

it has 6 pin P2 connector and the green wire are going in it, but there is some good psu with cable managment which has this 6pin P2 connector i think

A friend of mine brought a branded pc (HP) and he changed the psu its fine.

which model? can you tell me that? could be very usefull

it has 6 pin P2 connector and the green wire are going in it, but there is some good psu with cable managment which has this 6pin P2 connector i think

If you find one let me know, because HP /Compaq lists 350 watts as the maximum wattage PSU available as far as I know. I tried to find my son a better one, but couldn't. Also, not the same as a 6+2 pin if that's what you are thinking. 6+2 is PCIE for the GPU and this 6 pin P2 sends signals to the CPU. Sorry if you already know the 6+2  PCIE stuff, I don't know your knowledge level :).

If you find one let me know, because HP /Compaq lists 350 watts as the maximum wattage PSU available as far as I know. I tried to find my son a better one, but couldn't. Also, not the same as a 6+2 pin if that's what you are thinking. 6+2 is PCIE for the GPU and this 6 pin P2 sends signals to the CPU. Sorry if you already know the 6+2  PCIE stuff, I don't know your knowledge level :).i

thanks for the advice, but i the 6pin P2 has only 3 cables on it (white, green and white-red) and the other 3 slots on the connector has no cable

thats weird

Do you have this ?

IMAG0175.jpg

If not good, but this should be on yours too according to HP.

Do you have this ?

IMAG0175.jpg

yes, i have it :(

yes, i have it :(

I think someone with PSU sleeving experience could easily make an adaptor and mod the 24 pin plug on a regular supply though. From what I saw on the net it's just a matter of moving 2 or 3 wires (exchanging sockets and a jumper for the 24 pin). As far as the P2 I don't see any reason why some sort of adapter couldn't be made where you run that off a regular 4 or 8 pin cpu plug. Seems doable for someone that makes custom PSU harnesses to me :)

If someone could make 2 adapters then you could use any PS you wanted/

I think someone with PSU sleeving experience could easily make an adaptor and mod the 24 pin plug on a regular supply though. From what I saw on the net it's just a matter of moving 2 or 3 wires (exchanging sockets and a jumper for the 24 pin). As far as the P2 I don't see any reason why some sort of adapter couldn't be made where you run that off a regular 4 or 8 pin cpu plug. Seems doable for someone that makes custom PSU harnesses to me :)

If someone could make 2 adapters then you could use any PS you wanted/

thanks man for the advice :D

I'll be glad to send you the manual that has the pinouts if you want. I looked into doing all this for my kid's too but ended up getting him a 750 and a sata to pcie adapter.

Do you have this ?

IMAG0175.jpg

I think thats a Floppy connector correct me if Im wrong

Spoiler

CPU: R7 5800x -- Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X v2 -- RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade -- GPU: Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming OC -- Case: Fractal Design North Walnut/Black Mesh -- Storage: 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 4TB NM790 -- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 Platinum 650w -- Displays: AOC AGON  AG352UCG, Dell Ultrasharp U2715H -- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 -- Mouse: Corsair M65 -- Keyboard: Func KB 460 MX Blue -- Sound: Motu M2 -> THX 789 -> DT880 600Ω -- Mic: RØDE NT1-A

Spoiler

RIG 2: Intel i5-8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070S

Spoiler

I think thats a Floppy connector correct me if Im wrong

Close :D... here is a floppy connector:

floppy.jpg

This is just proprietary power for the cpu, prob to make it impossible to upgrade !

• 1 year later...

I have the same HP 6200 Pro Microtower and I just got a GTX 470 and my PSU can't handle it