Zoom H1 or H4N

KirbyTech

I have been looking at upgrading my audio set up for a while but have yet to decide on a recorder, it is down to the H1 and the H4N. Other than XLR, better mic and 4 channel audio what does the h4n offer over the h1? Which would you pick if I am only going to be using a single mic for the foreseeable future.

A good rule to follow is the more you spend, the more you want it to last. Even though you only see yourself using a single mic right now, you should equip yourself to expand production. 

But other than that, I don't know much about what you're asking.

Good luck :)

I have been looking at upgrading my audio set up for a while but have yet to decide on a recorder, it is down to the H1 and the H4N. Other than XLR, better mic and 4 channel audio what does the h4n offer over the h1? Which would you pick if I am only going to be using a single mic for the foreseeable future.

those are the main features, however the preamps in the H4n (although id get the h5 as it has add on modules) are much better

Also it works as a PC interface for XLR

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I own both, and I can tell you both are very good at recording audio.  Much better than anything that comes built inside photo cameras with video recording feature.

You've already stated many of the advantages that the H4n has over the H1, but additionally the H4n provides phantom power to external microphones that need it, the built-in mics can be rotated to be either a 90 degree or 120 degree XY stereo capture while the H1's microphones are fixed.  Another advantage is that the H4n has more buttons so that you don't need to go into the menus to change settings compared to the H1, sometimes I find the H1's buttons to be less accessible than the H4n.

If you're on a budget get the H1, otherwise get the H4n or the H5.

Who knows, even if you OWN a single mic, you may end up recording audio where the location might have a cable from a second mic that you can plug into your recorder.

And from now on I am going to try and remember to mention it: if you are going to use an external recorder such as these models to record better quality audio, either using the built-in microphones or with an additional microphone attachment, get a good pair of headphones to monitor the audio so that you know you are getting clean audio.  I recommend something like the Sony MDR 7506 studio monitor headphones or the Sennheiser PX100II stereo headphones which do not have any built-in or artificial audio enhancements, making them ideal for monitoring audio being recorded.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I only use an external recorder on very rare occasions, I was in the same boat, and opted for the H1 since I planned on literally recording a single line in from a mixer to use for a wedding video (two now). I am extremely happy with it as a line in recorder, and moderately happy with it as a "digital voice" recorder. Portability mattered to me, and price sealed it. However, if you see yourself needing XLR inputs in the future, the H4N or H5 will be the way to go.

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!