Is this ok?

jeraldcandelario

Hi guys! I'm currently on planning to buy the spec-03 from Corsair and i'll add 4 more 120mm fans plus 2 included, in a total of six fans. And i'm also planning on buying the gtx 970 turbo oc by ASUS, and i read somewhere that blower types are meant for smaller cases and SLI's. So my question is, will there be any heat problems in my gpu/case since im getting a mid tower case? I'm not sure if i can risk buying this card and getting 80c or more when under load. And i really want this card for my setup, my other choices are 380 and 280x..

Anyways let me know guys!

blowers are better if they are right next to eachother. If you can slightly space them either could be feasable, the second card still will be slightly hotter. Also See the Fan video from Luke, he shows where the most optimal places for fans are. 

the blower card pushes all the hot air out of the case, so your case won't be hot

there is no 390 to choose?

Usually you don't even need to mess with extra fans if you use a no-SLI, no overclock and mid-tower case. After looking at that "reference looking card" I still think the 2 fans is enough, they tested it in the same environment probably. and as long as you dont OC or SLI you should be fine.

EDIT: If you are unhappy with the cooling performance you can always opt to buy an extra fan or two later.

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ

My Rig:

Model: P650RG | Brand: Clevo | CPU: 6700HQ | GPU: 980M | RAM: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X DDR4 | SSD: 2x 480GB Kingston KC300 | Screen: 3K Panasonic IPS LED 

Hi guys! I'm currently on planning to buy the spec-03 from Corsair and i'll add 4 more 120mm fans plus 2 included, in a total of six fans. And i'm also planning on buying the gtx 970 turbo oc by ASUS, and i read somewhere that blower types are meant for smaller cases and SLI's. So my question is, will there be any heat problems in my gpu/case since im getting a mid tower case? I'm not sure if i can risk buying this card and getting 80c or more when under load. And i really want this card for my setup, my other choices are 380 and 280x..

Anyways let me know guys!

Blow style cards are good for small cases as you said but they NEED to have a clean air supply otherwise they will throttle. Blower fans are terrible at removing heat at normal fan speeds. I had two 980ti with blower fans and when playing witcher 3 I had to keep the fans at 85%+ and the cards were still hitting 85C. A good design of a case for a blower style is for example, the Silverstone RVZ01 where the card has it's own thermal zone and perforations for air intake. If you are getting a normal case just get a open air blower for the GPU and set up intake/exhaust fans properly.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

blowers are better if they are right next to eachother. If you can slightly space them either could be feasable, the second card still will be slightly hotter. Also See the Fan video from Luke, he shows where the most optimal places for fans are.

I wont be doing any SLI, but thank you for that info, might do SLI in the near future.

the blower card pushes all the hot air out of the case, so your case won't be hot

there is no 390 to choose?

Forgot to put the sapphire r9 390 nitro in my other choices.. I think its on par with 970and beats 970 in 1440p or higher reso. But the thing is my current setup is 1080p.

Usually you don't even need to mess with extra fans if you use a no-SLI, no overclock and mid-tower case. After looking at that "reference looking card" I still think the 2 fans is enough, they tested it in the same environment probably. and as long as you dont OC or SLI you should be fine.

EDIT: If you are unhappy with the cooling performance you can always opt to buy an extra fan or two later.

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ
  I wil be oc'ing this card though so i might add fans. Thanks for that vid!

Blow style cards are good for small cases as you said but they NEED to have a clean air supply otherwise they will throttle. Blower fans are terrible at removing heat at normal fan speeds. I had two 980ti with blower fans and when playing witcher 3 I had to keep the fans at 85%+ and the cards were still hitting 85C. A good design of a case for a blower style is for example, the Silverstone RVZ01 where the card has it's own thermal zone and perforations for air intake. If you are getting a normal case just get a open air blower for the GPU and set up intake/exhaust fans properly.

Whats the cons of putting your fan speed higher than usual?

I wont be doing any SLI, but thank you for that info, might do SLI in the near future.  Forgot to put the sapphire r9 390 nitro in my other choices.. I think its on par with 970and beats 970 in 1440p or higher reso. But the thing is my current setup is 1080p.   I wil be oc'ing this card though so i might add fans. Thanks for that vid! Whats the cons of putting your fan speed higher than usual?

sapphire 390 is the best of 390's

in fact, Sapphire is the leader in AMD cards

390 beats 970 in 80% of games at 1080p

so that woul be a perfect choice my friend

I wont be doing any SLI, but thank you for that info, might do SLI in the near future. Forgot to put the sapphire r9 390 nitro in my other choices.. I think its on par with 970and beats 970 in 1440p or higher reso. But the thing is my current setup is 1080p. I wil be oc'ing this card though so i might add fans. Thanks for that vid! Whats the cons of putting your fan speed higher than usual?

Jet engine noise.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Jet engine noise.

I dont really mind hearable/notable noise since i use headset when gaming, but is it really that loud? Specially the sapphire one?

sapphire 390 is the best of 390's

in fact, Sapphire is the leader in AMD cards

390 beats 970 in 80% of games at 1080p

so that woul be a perfect choice my friend

How about the msi 290x? Just saw it on sale and like 30-40$ cheaper..

I dont really mind hearable/notable noise since i use headset when gaming, but is it really that loud? Specially the sapphire one? How about the msi 290x? Just saw it on sale and like 30-40$ cheaper..

Yea dude, putting headphones does help a little but still, a jet taking off.

I dont really mind hearable/notable noise since i use headset when gaming, but is it really that loud? Specially the sapphire one? How about the msi 290x? Just saw it on sale and like 30-40$ cheaper..

about the same performance, vram difference 4-8GB