Laptop Case Idea

Tmt97

I have an idea i've been thinking over for a while. The thing is, I like laptops. I like the portability, the built in peripherals, everything about them is just so much more convenient than a desktop. Unfortunately you can't really make a custom laptop like you can a desktop. I mean sure you can buy an empty case on eBay or something, but your extremely limited in customization since each laptop case is really only designed for certain motherboards. In addition your extremely limited when it comes to upgrading, and as for internal water cooling? Forget about it.

What if someone made a laptop case thats made for customization? I think if one was creative with the layout it could be done. It would need a slot for a standard 2.5" SSD, space for a micro-atx or maybe a mini-itx, enough height for a low profile cpu cooler and ram, and there could be a compartment for a graphics card that sits flat next to the motherboard connected by a cable. The case itself could come with just a built in screen, keyboard and trackpad. The biggest challenge would be the laptop battery, but if you can find a way to manufacture a battery that fits, and comes with this custom case, then why wouldn't it work?

Obviously this idea has some flaws. To be able to fit the average graphics card, and even a low profile cpu cooler it would have to be a fairly thick laptop. But would you really mind that much if the laptop was slightly heavier but had similar performance to a desktop? Personally I wouldn't. Do you guys think there is a market for this kind of customizable laptop case? I've been working on a 3d model for fun, and I'm considering trying to 3D print it when its finished.

edit: does anyone know how to make polls on a post? I was hoping to add a poll to this asking wether or not you would be interested in buying such a case.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Yea, I've seen some people mod briefcases to basically have what I'm talking about. But what I'm wondering is if there is a market for an actual case you could buy, that has the aesthetics and features of an actual company such as thermaltake, antec, nzxt, ect... Because although i've seen several mods for this, I've never seen any company actually fill this niche. 

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I have an idea i've been thinking over for a while. The thing is, I like laptops. I like the portability, the built in peripherals, everything about them is just so much more convenient than a desktop. Unfortunately you can't really make a custom laptop like you can a desktop. I mean sure you can buy an empty case on eBay or something, but your extremely limited in customization since each laptop case is really only designed for certain motherboards. In addition your extremely limited when it comes to upgrading, and as for internal water cooling? Forget about it.

What if someone made a laptop case thats made for customization? I think if one was creative with the layout it could be done. It would need a slot for a standard 2.5" SSD, space for a micro-atx or maybe a mini-itx, enough height for a low profile cpu cooler and ram, and there could be a compartment for a graphics card that sits flat next to the motherboard connected by a cable. The case itself could come with just a built in screen, keyboard and trackpad. The biggest challenge would be the laptop battery, but if you can find a way to manufacture a battery that fits, and comes with this custom case, then why wouldn't it work?

Obviously this idea has some flaws. To be able to fit the average graphics card, and even a low profile cpu cooler it would have to be a fairly thick laptop. But would you really mind that much if the laptop was slightly heavier but had similar performance to a desktop? Personally I wouldn't. Do you guys think there is a market for this kind of customizable laptop case? I've been working on a 3d model for fun, and I'm considering trying to 3D print it when its finished.

A breif case would work pretty well.

I've seen attempts like this before, but it will never be as compact as a real laptop, purely due to laptop companies specifically having parts that work with their computers. The very design of the boards inside were for that computer. If you buy each part separately from different companies it will never be that compact, especially if you're using things like mini-itx motherboards. Sure, it's a cool concept, and you'll get a lot more performance, but it's not going to be thin or light by any means.

Also, follow your topics.

I've seen attempts like this before, but it will never be as compact as a real laptop, purely due to laptop companies specifically having parts that work with their computers. The very design of the boards inside were for that computer. If you buy each part separately from different companies it will never be that compact, especially if you're using things like mini-itx motherboards. Sure, it's a cool concept, and you'll get a lot more performance, but it's not going to be thin or light by any means.

Also, follow your topics.

Do you think that would be a reasonable trade off for some people though? I know for myself, having it be slightly less compact(maybe around the size of a briefcase), is still sufficiently portable for me, and getting to choose my own components would make it worth it. Thats just me anyway, I might just have weird tastes which is why I made this thread.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Making it super thin and light wasn't the purpose of this build / idea. The question really was "Would you mind trading off a thin build and a lighter build, for desktop grade performance, for less than a high end laptop?"

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Do you think that would be a reasonable trade off for some people though? I know for myself, having it be slightly less compact(maybe around the size of a briefcase), is still sufficiently portable for me, and getting to choose my own components would make it worth it. Thats just me anyway, I might just have weird tastes which is why I made this thread.

After I finish the server build I'm doing I'm gonna try and make a mini itx mobile gaming PC.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

After I finish the server build I'm doing I'm gonna try and make a mini itx mobile gaming PC.

I always thought this was the best compromise between a big tower and a laptop. But for me personally, not having a screen/keyboard built in is too much of a pain. I'm honestly surprised no company has tried to fill this niche yet... Maybe I should make a kickstarter or something.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I always thought this was the best compromise between a big tower and a laptop. But for me personally, not having a screen/keyboard built in is too much of a pain. I'm honestly surprised no company has tried to fill this niche yet... Maybe I should make a kickstarter or something.

I run a startup with my friend Noah, not sure if this is self promoting but I'm trying to seriously help you out if you're series. Check out our videos on YouTube- we're "KickVids", together we've raised over 50,000$ USD between just two clients.

I run a startup with my friend Noah, not sure if this is self promoting but I'm trying to seriously help you out if you're series. Check out our videos on YouTube- we're "KickVids", together we've raised over 50,000$ USD between just two clients.

Yea, I'm serious. I obviously need a working prototype first, and as I said I'm still working on a 3D model. But yea, I'le check you out. I don't really have any experience in raising money, so if this works out that could be pretty helpful. 

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Yea, I'm serious. I obviously need a working prototype first, and as I said I'm still working on a 3D model. But yea, I'le check you out. I don't really have any experience in raising money, so if this works out that could be pretty helpful. 

I've got some experience in designing cases n' shit. I'd be glad to help.

I've got some experience in designing cases n' shit. I'd be glad to help.

Mind if I show you the 3D model tomorrow? I think I'm getting somewhere, but I could use a second opinion to make sure i'm not just going mad.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Mind if I show you the 3D model tomorrow? I think I'm getting somewhere, but I could use a second opinion to make sure i'm not just going mad.

You can send me a screen shot now if you'd like, my email is jgerrior1998@gmail.com

You can send me a screen shot now if you'd like, my email is jgerrior1998@gmail.com

It's not quite ready now, I'le send a screenshot tomorrow afternoon. By then it should be in a kind of rough draft stage. Do you happen to have any ideas regarding regarding the power supply/peripherals? Hypothetically if this is something that could be "mass-produced", I would either need to find a way to manufacture them custom, or find a way to fit premade ones into the case. As far as I know, there isn't any standard form factors for laptop batterys, and keyboards, although we could probably get away with using screens from another manufacturer if there are any selling them without the bezel.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

It's not quite ready now, I'le send a screenshot tomorrow afternoon. By then it should be in a kind of rough draft stage. Do you happen to have any ideas regarding regarding the power supply/peripherals? Hypothetically if this is something that could be "mass-produced", I would either need to find a way to manufacture them custom, or find a way to fit premade ones into the case. As far as I know, there isn't any standard form factors for laptop batterys, and keyboards, although we could probably get away with using screens from another manufacturer if there are any selling them without the bezel.

Yeah, since you'd be making a case the first and most important things are being able to fit, a sfx psu, a itx board, a dual slot gpu, and a ssd / hdd. Then I'd add a vesa compatible mount so people can choose their own monitor, and then make sure it has the space to either contain or hide a third party 60% keyboard.

Yeah, since you'd be making a case the first and most important things are being able to fit, a sfx psu, a itx board, a dual slot gpu, and a ssd / hdd. Then I'd add a vesa compatible mount so people can choose their own monitor, and then make sure it has the space to either contain or hide a third party 60% keyboard.

Would the SFX PSU be neccesary? I'm not super familiar with how laptop battery's work(research time I guess), but does the PSU feed the battery? Or does the battery function as its own PSU?

Edit: the vesa compatible mount might actually be the perfect solution for that. Adds its own layer of customization too.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Would the SFX PSU be neccesary? I'm not super familiar with how laptop battery's work(research time I guess), but does the PSU feed the battery? Or does the battery function as its own PSU?

Edit: the vesa compatible mount might actually be the perfect solution for that. Adds its own layer of customization too.

Desktop grade hardware would last like 15 minutes on a high end laptop battery, it's gotta be wall fed.

Desktop grade hardware would last like 15 minutes on a high end laptop battery, it's gotta be wall fed.

Probably right... Too bad though since that would take away some of the convenience of a laptop. However when I think about my personal use I don't really spend that much time anywhere that there's absolutely no wall outlet. I wonder if there's any possible way to build in space for a UPS backup inside of one... Probably not due to the bulk, but I'll look into it.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Probably right... Too bad though since that would take away some of the convenience of a laptop. However when I think about my personal use I don't really spend that much time anywhere that there's absolutely no wall outlet. I wonder if there's any possible way to build in space for a UPS backup inside of one... Probably not due to the bulk, but I'll look into it.

Set some basic goals, like what it can fit- then down the line see what extra stuff can be added.

Set some basic goals, like what it can fit- then down the line see what extra stuff can be added.

Your right, also checked newegg and there's absolutely no way a ups is happening so I guess it's back to an SFX power supply. As for the motherboard and dual slot gpu I got that down. First thing I did when I had this idea was design a compartment that fits next to the motherboard, and holds a dual slot gpu. It will slide in from the back of the laptop, and connect to the motherboard with a cable. Both the motherboard and the graphics card would be facing down so the air can vent out of he laptop. There's gonna be a similar compartment for a wireless card. Theoretically it will be able to house two 2.5" SSDs behind the screen. Still working on where the PSU will go, but I think the design is fairly compact for what it's capable of holding.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!