Is my hard drive dying?

Tmt97

I just posted my storage setup on the "what is your current storage setup" thread, and it reminded me of a problem with my hard drive that it couldn't hurt to ask about. For about the last week or so, one of my hard drives is making what I can only describe as a gurgling noise... No water or moisture has gotten near it as far as I know, and there is no water cooling in my computer, so its obviously a rather confusing sound to hear coming out of a hard drive. As far as I can tell its still working fine, but I figured I'd ask if this was a sign of the hard drive dying or something else. Thanks!

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Step One BACK IT UP! Step Two Defrag It Step Three Hope for the best

You forgot to mention buy another drive. Doesn't hurt if you can afford it

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

what about Bad Sector check ?

I don't know what Software I need for that

Because he had a hard drive.

I don't know what Software I need for that

Download crystal disk info, it reports your drives health based on a number of parameters within the drives internal diagnostics.

Key Switches Guide | LLT Beginner Guide | GPU TDP & Power Consumption Explained | PSU Tier

s a d b o y s 2 0 0 1

If you suspect that your hard drive is failing, step one is to back up your data. Hard drives can be replaced, your data can't be. Step two, check your hard drive's health. I recommend using CrystalDiskInfo. If CrystalDisk reports that your drive is failing, you'll know for sure. I've never heard of a hard drive making a 'gurgling' sound, though. Can you upload a sound clip or video, perhaps?

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

"I have pockets in all my shorts." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

Okay, I just tried defrag it. It made a short squeeking noise and now its definitely dead. So that answers that question I guess. All data was backed up, so I guess its fine. Thanks guys.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

BEFORE YOU DO OR RUN ANYTHING BACK UP YOUR ESSENTIAL FILES!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stress that enough, get your data off it right now then move onto diagnosis and treatment. Running any type of scan on it before just adds more strain to the drive which will kill it sooner.

And you've already killed it :P That Iust proves it was dying ;)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

If you suspect that your hard drive is failing, step one is to back up your data. Hard drives can be replaced, your data can't be. Step two, check your hard drive's health. I recommend using CrystalDiskInfo. If CrystalDisk reports that your drive is failing, you'll know for sure. I've never heard of a hard drive making a 'gurgling' sound, though. Can you upload a sound clip or video, perhaps?

https://soundcloud.com/tmt79/hard-drive

Thats the sound for those that are curious, it's dead now anyway so I guess it doesn't matter, but who knows? Maybe someone can tell from that sound what exactly killed it.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

https://soundcloud.com/tmt79/hard-drive

Thats the sound for those that are curious, it's dead now anyway so I guess it doesn't matter, but who knows? Maybe someone can tell from that sound what exactly killed it.

Is that clicking sound coming from your hard disk?

If so, then it's definitely dead. I'm guessing you already know that, looking at your previous post... hehe...

If you're on the market for a new hard drive, I'd recommend a WD Caviar Black. Western Digital drives are usually very reliable.

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

"I have pockets in all my shorts." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

Is that clicking sound coming from your hard disk?

If so, then it's definitely dead. I'm guessing you already know that, looking at your previous post... hehe...

If you're on the market for a new hard drive, I'd recommend a WD Caviar Black. Western Digital drives are usually very reliable.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might be buying one of those soon once my other 3 are full. On a side note, I disassembled it up to try to gain some insight into whats been making that noise(the clicking is obvious, but the gurgling not so much). After removing the screws I picked it up and it had dripped some fluid in my lap... :mellow: So to add insult to injury not only did I lose a drive, but now I stained my pants.

Edit: Mystery solved. The drives previous owner got drunk and decided it needed an "oil change," before he gave it to me.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

~snip~

Hey there Tmt97,

I would also suggest to back up your data from the drive as these sounds may indicate that the drive is about to fail.
After that you can get a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer's website and see if the drive passes the tests. Getting the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status could also give you some detailed info about its condition. 
Defragging might reduce the sounds if the data is too fragmented. 

What's the drive's brand and model?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/