Is This Overkill? - How can i make it cheaper

JohnnyIsHere
Go to solution Solved by JebKerman,

Ahkk thanks! so i save $215 from this build.. by getting a lower quality cpu and gpu... Do u think it is worth it?

Like i don't know if this site is right but - http://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S18192-M34775.22173.39279vsS18192-M36976.33835.1767?tab=SSD

Is paying that extra $215 for the 960 and i5-6500 worth it? And would i be restricted from many games for having a i3, like can i still play sleeping dogs and stuff with the i3

well the 6500 is a much more "future ready" chip, as it won't be a bottleneck to even cards like the titan X. and the 950 performs admirably, and when overclocked it actually gets surprisingly close to the 960 (especially with the Gigabyte Extreme 950) So i'd probably go 6500+950, and then upgrade the graphics card when you find the 950 doesn't run the games you want to play well enough.

Heyy soo i am Johnny & I'm from New Zealand... i recently decided to build a computer, so uhmm yea before that i need to pick the parts.. and this is what i have so far.

Part Picker: http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/94dg99

Looking for CPU Cooler (IF NEEDED)

Total: $1555NZD (1008USD)

So Yeahh this is what i have came up with over the last 2 days with all the amazing help here!
And can someone proof check my stuff... like...
-Will all of these parts work well together.
-There is nothing in there to bottleneck it.
-There is nothing in there that is 2 expensive that is not needed.

So yeah i am basically playing TF2 & CS:GO with this computer along with games such as dayz,gta 4,sleeping dogs etc. So yeah i will need to move this each week from my dads to mums in the car where i will probs just hold it while we drive... Will this fuck up the parts when i carry it or nah?

Yeah so at one house my monitor is 1440 x 900 and at the other its 1600 x 900.

Sooo uhm yeah if anyone read this & can help in anyway that would be very very much appreciated :D and i kinda want to get it down a hunred or 2 dollars so if u know anyway pls gimme feedback :)

Thanks Johnnnyy

Those games will run easy with that pc even @ 1080p

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Those games will run easy with that pc even @ 1080p

Oh... Because i don't really play games any harder to run than that... and both my monitors are 900p...Do u know how much fps i would get in these games on like high settings?

You can save some good money (50-80usd) by going with a i5 4690k build. DDr4 ram is expensive. Pair the i5 with a Gigabyte Z97M or an Asus Z97M (either of which are around 100usd I believe) and you're golden.

Why do you need a Wifi adapter and a DVD writer though?

ps You can use the money you save by getting better peripherals as well (Corsair K65 and Mionix Naos 3200, hehe)

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

CPU: Good (no real need for a cooler)

Motherboard: Good

RAM: Good

Storage: Good (kinda hard to go wrong really)

GPU: Excellent

Case: Good

PSU: Good

NIC: Good

KB & Mouse: good functional budget options.

It's a fantastic build...(waitaminuite...I remember that build...), but for those games it is  a bit overkill (but overkill is better than just good enough)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

You can save some good money (50-80usd) by going with a i5 4690k build. DDr4 ram is expensive. Pair the i5 with a Gigabyte Z97M or an Asus Z97M (either of which are around 100usd I believe) and you're golden.

ps You can use the money you save by getting better peripherals as well (Corsair K65 and Mionix Naos 3200, hehe)

The i5 4690k is more expensive than the i5-6500 :o http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?j=2677308,3287020

What is a DDR4? Do i have one of them.. and can i get one of those cheaper motherboards with the i5-6500

CPU: Good (no real need for a cooler)

Motherboard: Good

RAM: Good

Storage: Good (kinda hard to go wrong really)

GPU: Excellent

Case: Good

PSU: Good

NIC: Good

KB & Mouse: good functional budget options.

It's a fantastic build...(waitaminuite...I remember that build...), but for those games it is  a bit overkill (but overkill is better than just good enough)

Ah okay sweet! good to hear it can run the games i want... in order for it to stay ''Good'' what parts are best to cheapen up on so i have more money left over?

I need the wifi adapter to connect to the internet... because the modem is not in my room so i can't hook it up... DVD writer is for my anti virus thingy which i am pretty sure is on a disk..

Oh... Because i don't really play games any harder to run than that... and both my monitors are 900p...Do u know how much fps i would get in these games on like high settings?

CSGO 300+ fps same thing in TF2 don't know about the else

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

It would be good to put more RAM in to equal out the system. 16 GB would seem reasonable.

AMD A10 7700k APU @ 3.8 GHz  /  Dem Integrated R7 graphics  / 8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1800 MHz RAM  /  1 TB WD Black HDD  /  ARC Midi R2 Case  /  ASRock FM2A88M Pro 3+ 

Logitech MX Performance / Razor Blackwidow Ultimate

CSGO 300+ fps same thing in TF2 don't know about the else

Oh wtf! thanks!!!.... thats wayyy more than i was looking for :o

It would be good to put more RAM in to equal out the system. 16 GB would seem reasonable.

How much more would that cost?? Because i am trying to make my build cheaper :l what does RAM even do again?

I need the wifi adapter to connect to the internet... because the modem is not in my room so i can't hook it up... DVD writer is for my anti virus thingy which i am pretty sure is on a disk..

Oh that's very weird. How about a i5 4670k? You have DDr4 ram in your current build. The DDr3 version of that costs around 50usd, compared to 80usd for the DDr4.

I see the need for the adapter. Fair enough :) but you don't really need that anti virus. Hence you don't need to spend 20usd on a writer. There's so much free and good AV's on the net. I'm using Avira and it's fantastic so far :)

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Oh that's very weird. How about a i5 4670k? You have DDr4 ram in your current build. The DDr3 version of that costs around 50usd, compared to 80usd for the DDr4.

I see the need for the adapter. Fair enough :) but you don't really need that anti virus. Hence you don't need to spend 20usd on a writer. There's so much free and good AV's on the net. I'm using Avira and it's fantastic so far :)

How much more would that cost?? Because i am trying to make my build cheaper :l what does RAM even do again?

RAM is a volatile source of Memory that helps you run more than 1 program at once. Whether you're playing a game and rendering a video, or rendering a video and listening to music. With a rig that size you'll struggle running a game, chrome, and a recording software at once. I recommend 16 gb of RAM but if you want price the 8 GB can be fine.

AMD A10 7700k APU @ 3.8 GHz  /  Dem Integrated R7 graphics  / 8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1800 MHz RAM  /  1 TB WD Black HDD  /  ARC Midi R2 Case  /  ASRock FM2A88M Pro 3+ 

Ahkk sweet will look into that and take the dvd writer out! :D and nahh don't wanna spend more on the cpu for the 3670... I like the sound of saving money on the ram bit though... does my build need a DDr4 or can it run just as well with this DDR3 thingy

RAM is a volatile source of Memory that helps you run more than 1 program at once. Whether you're playing a game and rendering a video, or rendering a video and listening to music. With a rig that size you'll struggle running a game, chrome, and a recording software at once. I recommend 16 gb of RAM but if you want price the 8 GB can be fine.

oh :o the most i will be doing is like having a couple tabs on with youtube and playing a game is that fine with a 8GB?

Wow! those vids were perfect, thanks a  ton! so now i have a clear idea of what i'm getting :D And with 900p Mointors only doing 60hertz... it seems wasteful to have over 200 in cs :l

Like the cpu i am most likely sticking with as the other i5s are only like $30 less... do u know if there are any vids of these on a cheaper Video card? or would a 2gb video card be able to play these games just aswell

oh :o the most i will be doing is like having a couple tabs on with youtube and playing a game is that fine with a 8GB?

If you're using chrome, Chrome eats RAM tbh.

If you're using chrome, Chrome eats RAM tbh.

Mhmmm well IF i did swap to a 16GB what would i change to make cheaper?

Ahkk sweet will look into that and take the dvd writer out! :D and nahh don't wanna spend more on the cpu for the 3670... I like the sound of saving money on the ram bit though... does my build need a DDr4 or can it run just as well with this DDR3 thingy

You're on Skylake so DDR4 is a requirement, not a choice. Haha.

It'll be cool if you can find used CPU's though. They're safe to buy. It's like buying a used watch. The fact that it's used means it works. They don't breakdown so easily unless you set fire onto it...

Buy used. That's how you really save ;) Just exercise common sense (don't buy a motherboard with a broken pin. don't buy a HDD with bad sectors)

Btw, 8GB is totally fine. I'm running a stick of HyperX 8GB right now (due to budget constraints)! Haha. I don't have a billion tabs opened while I'm playing games anyways. I also do photography work and 8GB is really OK. Just get another set of ram down the line. :)

You're on Skylake so DDR4 is a requirement, not a choice. Haha.

It'll be cool if you can find used CPU's though. They're safe to buy. It's like buying a used watch. The fact that it's used means it works. They don't breakdown so easily unless you set fire onto it...

Buy used. That's how you really save ;) Just exercise common sense (don't buy a motherboard with a broken pin. don't buy a HDD with bad sectors)

Btw, 8GB is totally fine. I'm running a stick of HyperX 8GB right now (due to budget constraints)! Haha. I don't have a billion tabs opened while I'm playing games anyways. I also do photography work and 8GB is really OK. Just get another set of ram down the line. :)

Lol what is skylake.... :o if i was not on skylake would i save much money from a DDR4 TO R3 :o

But yeah will look around for used cpus! What are your thoughts on the uhmm AMD cpus.. my mate who is also building a computer is not spending as much as i am :( and one of those things is that he has a AMD... like what is bad about AMD? should i just get that