More rads equal better cooling??

crocski

I searched for this topic and didn't find anything, sorry if thats already one out there.

I was wondering why do people configure a 2 or 3 rad system, does that equal to better cooling results? Does more radiators guarantee better temps? And is that type of configuration worth it in comparison to a single rad?

Your thoughts....

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

Typically more rads do add to cooling efficency to a certain point, afterwards it will have diminishing effects. One of the main benefits of more rads is that you can maintain a certain level of cooling with less fan speed, so you have a more silent systems, which is one of the main benefits of water cooling.

A typical rule of thumb is 120mm of rad per block plus an additional 120mm. Now, taking that into effect with a GPU and CPU block, you would want a minimum of 360mm of rad space. I won't get into thick versus thin, FPI and such for this. Just a general example. Now, you can maintain X temp with this setup, If you add a 240mm rad, you might then only gain an additional 1 ot 2 degress lower, but the main benefit is now you can run all 5 (or more) fans at reduced speed to maintain the temps you previously had on the single 360, which in turns makes an even quieter system...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

^ Pretty much that.

Once you have enough radiator space to cover the heat output of the components, having more radiator doesn't make much of a difference. But it allows you to run slower fans.

Coolermaster HAF-X, i5-3570k@4.3Ghz, AsRock Z77 Extreme4, Sapphire HD7870@1150Mhz, G.Skill Ripjaws 12GB 1600Mhz, Silverstone Strider Plus 750W, OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit