Microsoft Surface

Go to solution Solved by defunkt,

No.

Is the Surface a good buy? I need something with a touch screen and a small, light design. I want it to be a little weird and cool looking. I was also looking at the Sony Vaio Duo 11 and the Sony Vaio Pro 11. And is the Surface RT a good idea, i mean i has good battery  life and it comes with a Version of Microsoft Office. 

I love the Sony Vaio, so here are some that i am looking at. Tell me what you think.

Duo 11

Duo 13

Pro 11

Pro 13

T series 14

S series 13.3

Z series 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

No. Explore other options.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Surface broke wile they showed it off.. so no

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

My cousin in law has one, it's pretty cool.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Microsoft just made 900'000'000$ loss by just price cutting the thing that noone wants. That should give you all the information you need. ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Unfortunately the Surface RT is neither small nor light. It's also running a Tegra 3 chip, so is rather weak nowadays.

If you wish to get a tablet tied to the Windows ecosystem, you have two real options - buy a more expensive one such as the Surface Pro or wait for a newer and better version of the Surface RT.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I advise staying away from the surface/surface rt until at least the next revision.  First time around...not a good platform.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Unfortunately the Surface RT is neither small nor light. It's also running a Tegra 3 chip, so is rather weak nowadays.

If you wish to get a tablet tied to the Windows ecosystem, you have two real options - buy a more expensive one such as the Surface Pro or wait for a newer and better version of the Surface RT.

He'd better wait for the next Haswell Surface cause the actual Pro version has horrible battery life (we talk about 3.5 hours)

CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx

He'd better wait for the next Haswell Surface cause the actual Pro version has horrible battery life (we talk about 3.5 hours)

Totally agree, I have been using Windows 8 for over a year, and 8.1 makes the Surface PRO much more usable. But the battery life sucks!

Wait for the Gen 2 part.

I have the Surface Pro and use it as my Laptop (its my first laptop). The only reason i got it was because i had a discount which made it cheap for any laptop with those specs.

At $900 for the Surface Pro, it is a big waste of money. There are many many better ultrabook options in the market.

Some issues with the surface i've encountered:

-battery life: low for a laptop/tablet (i have tweaked some settings so i get about 5hrs)

-screen scaling: it has some weird 150% scaling so apps not optimized in desktop version for it are a bit fuzzy (chrome is not optimized!!!) +there is a fix but then things get really small on the 10 inch display (which is Amazing btw! when optimized)

-high pitched noise-the cpu gives off a noise when in low power mode

- lack of accessories: i'm looking for a case/sleeve but there are no good but cheap options.

As for the RT version, there are very few good and useful apps in the Win8 store and since you cannot install outside apps, it is very limited.

I would suggest skipping this gen of products and wait until the price is lowered for upcoming models.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

If I could get one with the touch keyboard. ( Which means it had Microsoft Office ) for $250 (or so) on E-Ebay (New) would that make it worth it. I mean i payed that for my Galxey Tab 2 and it was good-ish. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well i needed something cheap thin, good looking, and portable.

I have a 15.5" Sony Vaio E series but it is sooo heavy and fat.

In the end i got a Samsung Chromebook, its nice for what it does and at $250 the build quality is awesome! It really looks like a MacBook Air when its open, i keep confusing my friend that i'm using his Air.

Thanks guys! If you want to know anything about the Chromebook, ask me! Which one should you buy? Ask me!