Steelseries Apex Keyboard [NOT RAW]

First off, I put [NOT RAW] in the title because for whatever reason I had issues finding reviews of the not RAW version online :P

Disclaimer: I have not had this keyboard very long so I cannot judge how well it lasts.

Ok so here we go....

Look:

Default it comes with a fairly outlandish color scheme for its 5 lighting zones and its 4 profiles (using the buttons) It has some very nice looking lights on the sides and corners of the keyboard that truly looks amazing in the dark, if you get this keyboard I can confidently say that you will not dislike the look. It does have a plastic black finish by the keys which I was afraid would collect prints but I have had no issue with that so far. The backlights look really bright and nice and have a wide range of adjusting through the steelseries engine (see below).

Functions (Non-Normal Keys):

Macro Bank: First off I will start with the bank of macro keys to the left of the keyboard, the bank has 10 keys (2 rows consisting of 5 keys each) the backlight fades from the top keys (MX1 and MX6 are the brightest at the top) and gets less and less bright until you hit MX5 and MX10, this allows for some really easy distinction in the dark and has helped me a few times so far.  

"M" Keys and Profile Keys: The "M" keys are four keys that change the profiles of your keyboard (and the color scheme to help tell what profile you are on) these keys are at the top left of the keyboard and are labeled "L#" (# of course being the number between 1-4. Not much to say on these, they do their jobs. 

Now to the "M" keys, these keys are above the F keys and are additional macro keys, you get 12 of these.

Keypad: The keypad has diagonal keys that essentially just lets you push forward and left/right at the same time only using one key, rather cool and semi useful (arrow keys usually are not used in games so I haven't had much use of them, but still like that they are there. 

Media Keys: I really like these media keys because they go vertically rather than the usual horizontal, this allows them to have longer keys that are easy to use when watching movies (the play/pause button is the size of a shift bar going vertically) it has play/pause, fast forward, rewind, mute, volume up, volume down, volume up/down also serve as the light changing colors if you hold the steelseries key (next to alt on the right side of the spacebar).

Lights:

The keyboard has 5 lighting zones that you can change the color of to give your keyboard a very nice look. It has the standard 16.8 million color spectrum. 

Zone 1: The "L" keys and the Macro Bank (MX Keys)

Zone 2: Esc key, F keys, and the M Keys

Zone 3: Your normal key zone (all the letters, tab, shift, ect.)

Zone 4: Number Pad, Home Key Block, Arrow keys, Media Keys, Print Screen, Scroll lock block (only 3 keys)

Zone 5: Steelseries logo, I really like that you can change this color.

Other: 

Space Key is extra large, really nice ergonomic feel.

The mini wrist wrest on it (not really even sure what I should call it) is a bit small for my hands (I wear XL gloves for reference) so I had to change my normal position that I used to type on, within 24 hours I adapted fine to it, just thought I should mention that.

Full shift, backspace, enter, ect. 

Steelseries Engine:

I really was pleasantly surprised about the Steelseries Engine. It is really easy to use, remap whatever you want, disable windows key, set macros, lighting, and many other things very easily. I also have a Steelseries Sensei and it is very nice to manage my keyboard and mouse very easily. So personally I really like this engine. 

NON-Mechanical:

I didn't want a mechanical keyboard and this is a really high end rubber dome keyboard that I really like. I didn't get a mechanical keyboard because the only mechanical keyboard switch I like is the blues and I can't stand the sound they make, and I rather like rubber dome anyway, just thought I should say this to avoid future questions :P

I followed this topic so if you are thinking about getting this keyboard feel free to PM me or post here :D

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

Have you tried clear switches out of curiosity. Good review though I like my G510 which is another high end rubber dome keyboard.

Have you tried clear switches out of curiosity. Good review though I like my G510 which is another high end rubber dome keyboard.

I did try clears, I did like them but didn't really love them that much more than rubber dome keyboards

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

I did try clears, I did like them but didn't really love them that much more than rubber dome keyboards

ok just thought its close to a blue without being so noisy 

As much as I like Mechanical keyboards, I'll be getting the Apex and Sensei pair for the aesthetic appeal. It's a gorgeous matching pair. Good review.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

As much as I like Mechanical keyboards, I'll be getting the Apex and Sensei pair for the aesthetic appeal. It's a gorgeous matching pair. Good review.

They really do look so nice next to each other :P

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I put [NOT RAW] in the title because for whatever reason I had issues finding reviews of the not RAW version online :P

Disclaimer: I have not had this keyboard very long so I cannot judge how well it lasts.

Ok so here we go....

Look:

Default it comes with a fairly outlandish color scheme for its 5 lighting zones and its 4 profiles (using the buttons) It has some very nice looking lights on the sides and corners of the keyboard that truly looks amazing in the dark, if you get this keyboard I can confidently say that you will not dislike the look. It does have a plastic black finish by the keys which I was afraid would collect prints but I have had no issue with that so far. The backlights look really bright and nice and have a wide range of adjusting through the steelseries engine (see below).

Macro Bank: First off I will start with the bank of macro keys to the left of the keyboard, the bank has 10 keys (2 rows consisting of 5 keys each) the backlight fades from the top keys (MX1 and MX6 are the brightest at the top) and gets less and less bright until you hit MX5 and MX10, this allows for some really easy distinction in the dark and has helped me a few times so far.

"M" Keys and Profile Keys: The "M" keys are four keys that change the profiles of your keyboard (and the color scheme to help tell what profile you are on) these keys are at the top left of the keyboard and are labeled "L#" (# of course being the number between 1-4. Not much to say on these, they do their jobs.

Now to the "M" keys, these keys are above the F keys and are additional macro keys, you get 12 of these.

Keypad: The keypad has diagonal keys that essentially just lets you push forward and left/right at the same time only using one key, rather cool and semi useful (arrow keys usually are not used in games so I haven't had much use of them, but still like that they are there.

Media Keys: I really like these media keys because they go vertically rather than the usual horizontal, this allows them to have longer keys that are easy to use when watching movies (the play/pause button is the size of a shift bar going vertically) it has play/pause, fast forward, rewind, mute, volume up, volume down, volume up/down also serve as the light changing colors if you hold the steelseries key (next to alt on the right side of the spacebar).

Lights:

The keyboard has 5 lighting zones that you can change the color of to give your keyboard a very nice look. It has the standard 16.8 million color spectrum.

Zone 1: The "L" keys and the Macro Bank (MX Keys)

Zone 2: Esc key, F keys, and the M Keys

Zone 3: Your normal key zone (all the letters, tab, shift, ect.)

Zone 4: Number Pad, Home Key Block, Arrow keys, Media Keys, Print Screen, Scroll lock block (only 3 keys)

Zone 5: Steelseries logo, I really like that you can change this color.

Other:

The mini wrist wrest on it (not really even sure what I should call it) is a bit small for my hands (I wear XL gloves for reference) so I had to change my normal position that I used to type on, within 24 hours I adapted fine to it, just thought I should mention that.

Steelseries Engine:

I really was pleasantly surprised about the Steelseries Engine. It is really easy to use, remap whatever you want, disable windows key, set macros, lighting, and many other things very easily. I also have a Steelseries Sensei and it is very nice to manage my keyboard and mouse very easily. So personally I really like this engine.

NON-Mechanical:

I didn't want a mechanical keyboard and this is a really high end rubber dome keyboard that I really like. I didn't get a mechanical keyboard because the only mechanical keyboard switch I like is the blues and I can't stand the sound they make, and I rather like rubber dome anyway, just thought I should say this to avoid future questions :P

I followed this topic so if you are thinking about getting this keyboard feel free to PM me or post here :D

Where the hell you bought it?

Where the hell you bought it?

Right off the steelseries site, it is out of stock right now, but it has been in stock for over a month now, you should be able to get it soon enough, I am sure they will restock it :)

Right off the steelseries site, it is out of stock right now, but it has been in stock for over a month now, you should be able to get it soon enough, I am sure they will restock it :)

Yeah didn't want to pay 25$ shipping, found one on NCIX but theres no image. I asked Steelseries why almoat no stores sell the Apex and they told they are in backorder all over the globe, lol.

Disclaimer: I have not had this keyboard very long so I cannot judge how well it lasts.

Ok so here we go....

Look:

Macro Bank: First off I will start with the bank of macro keys to the left of the keyboard, the bank has 10 keys (2 rows consisting of 5 keys each) the backlight fades from the top keys (MX1 and MX6 are the brightest at the top) and gets less and less bright until you hit MX5 and MX10, this allows for some really easy distinction in the dark and has helped me a few times so far.  

"M" Keys and Profile Keys: The "M" keys are four keys that change the profiles of your keyboard (and the color scheme to help tell what profile you are on) these keys are at the top left of the keyboard and are labeled "L#" (# of course being the number between 1-4. Not much to say on these, they do their jobs. 

Keypad: The keypad has diagonal keys that essentially just lets you push forward and left/right at the same time only using one key, rather cool and semi useful (arrow keys usually are not used in games so I haven't had much use of them, but still like that they are there. 

Media Keys: I really like these media keys because they go vertically rather than the usual horizontal, this allows them to have longer keys that are easy to use when watching movies (the play/pause button is the size of a shift bar going vertically) it has play/pause, fast forward, rewind, mute, volume up, volume down, volume up/down also serve as the light changing colors if you hold the steelseries key (next to alt on the right side of the spacebar).

Lights:

Zone 1: The "L" keys and the Macro Bank (MX Keys)

Zone 2: Esc key, F keys, and the M Keys

Zone 3: Your normal key zone (all the letters, tab, shift, ect.)

Zone 4: Number Pad, Home Key Block, Arrow keys, Media Keys, Print Screen, Scroll lock block (only 3 keys)

Zone 5: Steelseries logo, I really like that you can change this color.

Other: 

Steelseries Engine:

NON-Mechanical:

I think you'll like ALPS Green switches, but not the Xiang Ming or MX version clones (those a cliky, tactile keys) , the original ALPS switch (A dying breed, slowly being beat to death by Cherry) was a very pleasent linear switch.

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife