Why I don't see screan tearing?

XCalinX

Hey guys,

I have a 32" 1080p TV that I use as a monitor and I'm looking to get a 28" 4K monitor. But I dont know if I should get a GSync panel (Acer XB280HK) or a standard one (Asus PB287Q) because on my TV I see no tearing when over 60FPS with vsync off. The TV is 60Hz. Is it related to the TV or screen tearing is just a myth? Should I get the gsync one?

Thanks

Some games have it worse than others, but it's definitely there.

The game I have that it's most noticeable in is Bioshock: Infinite, if you have that.

You want to replace your tv with a gsync one because theres no screen tearing? wat

It depends on game and environment. 

And don't forget we also have double and triple buffering. These works well on battling tearing and lag in some games.

Going from 1080p to 4k will stress your frames, might introduce tearing at that resolution.

The only game I get screen tearing in is in GTA V.

It's not such a terrible thing to where I decide I should spend $200 extra on my next monitor.

Its always there when vsync is off, and the trained eye can spot its impact (stutter). But tear lines mostly become noticeable when they appear in more or less the same place in the screen, then the eye has time to spot the actual difference and the image corruption. So frame rates bang on 30/60/120 will give you stable tear lines and they will be very easy to see.

There is a possibility also that vsync isn't genuinely off, you might think you are turning it off but its forced on in the drivers or something and actually everything is actually using vsync.

Its always there when vsync is off, and the trained eye can spot its impact (stutter). But tear lines mostly become noticeable when they appear in more or less the same place in the screen, then the eye has time to spot the actual difference and the image corruption. So frame rates bang on 30/60/120 will give you stable tear lines and they will be very easy to see.

There is a possibility also that vsync isn't genuinely off, you might think you are turning it off but its forced on in the drivers or something and actually everything is actually using vsync.

But the Fraps FPS counter shows over 60. in the nVidia CP VSync is off. I tried 2 GPUs and none of them get tearing. A 980 Ti and a 650 Ti.

But the Fraps FPS counter shows over 60. in the nVidia CP VSync is off. I tried 2 GPUs and none of them get tearing. A 980 Ti and a 650 Ti.

Check if you're using triple buffering or not.

Check if you're using triple buffering or not.

Well it's off. Strange.

the reason you do not see it, is because there is two kinds of people.

there is those who play the video game

and then there is those who play the "complaining game".

the former have fun and immerse themselves in the game, the latter just want to find something to bitch about.

the reason you do not see it, is because there is two kinds of people.

there is those who play the video game

and then there is those who play the "complaining game".

the former have fun and immerse themselves in the game, the latter just want to find something to bitch about.

Well OP somewhat implies the 3rd type : 

those who complain why they aren't playing "complaining game"  :lol: