Choosing a CPU - Cache or clock speed?

Hatsjer

My big brother is planning to build a new computer. And out of the two of us, do I have the most knowlegde when it comes to hardware. However, I am still only an apprentice. 

When he was going through a list of CPU's, did he ask me a good quiestion: What is the difference between cache and clock speed, and which are best when it comes to gaming? - I know know what both cache and clock speed are/is/does. (Feel free to correct my mistakes if you care enough to. Typos too. :) )

But while I'm making this topic, did an other thing occur to me in

Linus mentionned that not all CPU can use DDR3 RAM, as some have been designed for DDR4 RAM. - So are CPUs designed for DDR4 RAM backwards combatable to DDR3 RAM as well, or do we need to look out for that as well?

Any and every help and information is greatly appreciated. ;)

Thanks. 

- Hatsjer

More cache is better for video editing/any kind of editing really when those cores are under stress.

Core clock is just more instructions can be handled the higher it is, Core clock doesn't matter really, But when you overclock you see your self getting more FPS because the faster the clock the more info it can process before letting the GPU process the image.

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

A higher clock is mostly better.

Also, it makes no sense to go ddr3 when ddr4 is out when your CPU supports ddr4.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

A higher clock is mostly better.

Also, it makes no sense to go ddr3 when ddr4 is out when your CPU supports ddr4.

We have not entierly decided whenever to use DDR3 RAM or DDR4.

More cache is better for video editing/any kind of editing really when those cores are under stress.

Core clock is just more instructions can be handled the higher it is, Core clock doesn't matter really, But when you overclock you see your self getting more FPS because the faster the clock the more info it can process before letting the GPU process the image.

Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I was looking for! 

Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I was looking for! 

I can help with the build if you want?

Or you can link it to me and I can try to make it better if you want.

All up to you!

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

I can help with the build if you want?

Or you can link it to me and I can try to make it better if you want.

All up to you!

I already have a friend who has been fidling with computers for more years than I have been alive. The only reason why I did not ask him is because he asked me not to disturb him while he's playing Fallout 4. And I respect that. 

Also, because reasons, does my brother want to keep the build to family only (Which means more or less me and him.) - But I really appreciate your offer.  :D

The only reason why I did not ask him is because he asked me not to disturb him while he's playing Fallout 4. And I respect that.

Completely understandable.

:3

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

We have not entierly decided whenever to use DDR3 RAM or DDR4.

DDR3 kills Skylake CPUs, because of higher voltage, Skylake supports DDR3L, which is at 1.35V instead of 1.5V(DDR3)

Also, a better CPU means less stuttering in stress situations(like many Ai in GTA 5, or many cars in Beam.NG Drive)

DDR3 kills Skylake CPUs, because of higher voltage, Skylake supports DDR3L, which is at 1.35V instead of 1.5V(DDR3)

Also, a better CPU means less stuttering in stress situations(like many Ai in GTA 5, or many cars in Beam.NG Drive)

So, you're saying that Skylake CPUs are designed for DDR4 RAM?

So, you're saying that Skylake CPUs are designed for DDR4 RAM?

Yes, Intel never stated that Skylake officially supports DDR3.