Futureproof PSU for mid-range PCs

KN_Ikari
Go to solution Solved by KN_Ikari,

The GS 650w is still the best option so far. I managed to find it at 111€ and I'll buy it today or tomorrow. In the meantime I'll still consider other options, if any.

EDIT: I've just ordered it. Thank you everyone!

So, my PSU is clearly going to die, and I am looking for a good PSU for a mid-range PC. I've already read some guides and some reviews, but I'm still quite clueless.

My actual configuration is rather old (Intel i5 2400, Radeon HD6850, generic WD hard drive, some random ram and soon an SSD), however I want to be able to upgrade it in the future without buying another power supply.

Chances are I will never buy top-tier power hungry components (let's say I'll never buy something higher than a GTX970) and I won't overclock anything, so I won't need more than 550-650 watts if I'm correct. However I'd like the PSU to be up to the current standards (i.e. latest CPU power management standards) and power efficient.

Last but not least, budget: around 100€, of course a bit less is better. The store must ship to Italy and accept PayPal if possible.

Thank you in advance.

750 G2, it'll work for basically every system config and doesn't cost much extra vs 650w psu's.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Not sure how much this one is for you but hopefully it's not to much. :P Great PSU though and will server you well and it's fully modular so why not. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220gs0650v1

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

For the most part, find a 650/750W psu, preferably 80+ bronze or higher for your sake. Also, make sure that you buy from a well known and reputable company like Corsair or EVGA. Hope I helped!

Please notice me senpie

Xeon x3430 - GTX 660SC - Core 1000 - CX430 - DQ57TM - 4gb DDR3

I read "waterproof" and was like wth.

However, Any EVGA or Corsair PSU in your price-range.

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

For the most part, find a 650/750W psu, preferably 80+ bronze or higher for your sake. Also, make sure that you buy from a well known and reputable company like Corsair or EVGA. Hope I helped!

Neither Corsair or EVGA should be recommended as a whole for PSUs. Neither of them make the PSUs they brand, and both have some pretty bad ones in their lineup. 

The only companies I'd recommend as a whole are Seasonic, Superflower and Delta (and XFX, but they're Seasonic units). For all other companies, you should do research on the specific model, as normally a brand isn't a reliable measure of the quality (neither is the efficiency rating)

However, Any EVGA or Corsair PSU in your price-range.

No, no. EVGA and Corsair both have bad PSUs in their lineup. The 500W + from EVGA is a terrible unit, for example. 

Both are brands that source their units from various OEMs with various levels of quality. Be specific to the individual units.

You made my day. xD

Thank you for misreading it.

TheRedDragon    |i7-5820k (4.2Ghz) || MSI X99S SLI Plus || Crucial 2x8gb 2133hmz DDR4 || MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti 6Gb || Sandisk 128Gb SSD || Seagate Barracuda 3Tb |EVGA 1000W 80+ Pltnm ||  

dossium.net >

Posts that won the internet - Verticle Mice 

No, no. EVGA and Corsair both have bad PSUs in their lineup. The 500W + from EVGA is a terrible unit, for example. 

Both are brands that source their units from various OEMs with various levels of quality. Be specific to the individual units.

a half year ago, they were the sh.. when it came to PSU. Please enlighten me what changed?

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

a half year ago, they were the sh.. when it came to PSU. Please enlighten me what changed?

Nothing has changed, just more people are actually looking into the PSUs, rather than going off a brand that puts their stickers on various units. Some of their lower end units are cheap CWT OEM units, whereas their higher end (AX, for example) are better Seasonic OEM units. They gained a reputation as being a good PSU manufacturer, even though they don't make any PSUs. 

EVGA has now become (wrongly) synonymous with good quality PSUs, just because they have some great ones in their lineup (Seasonic and Superflower OEM). Their NEX series are not great, and their 80+ PSUs are mostly pretty bad. 

The only thing that has really changed is knowledge. With the PSU being arguably the most important part of a system, it's good to get a good quality unit, which means that you need to look into the unit specifically, rather than brands. 

Until now the Supernova GS 650W seems the winner, but it is a bit over my planned budget (110-115€). Are there other similar options with roughly the same characteristics? I think I'll buy this one if there isn't anything similar for this price.

Until now the Supernova GS 650W seems the winner, but it is a bit over my planned budget (110-115€). Are there other similar options with roughly the same characteristics? I think I'll buy this one if there isn't anything similar for this price.

Antec High Current Gamer or perhaps the Corsair RMx or RMi.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

What're some reputable brands?

Please notice me senpie

Xeon x3430 - GTX 660SC - Core 1000 - CX430 - DQ57TM - 4gb DDR3

What're some reputable brands?

Seasonic, SuperFlower, Delta and XFX (Seasonic OEM) are the companies that I'd recommend as a whole, as they don't sell any bad PSUs. 

The GS 650w is still the best option so far. I managed to find it at 111€ and I'll buy it today or tomorrow. In the meantime I'll still consider other options, if any.

EDIT: I've just ordered it. Thank you everyone!