Thank you LinusTechTips Community! Last Chance to review build before buying!

Drummaboy57

I went from knowing nothing to designing this bad boy from all the help I have had from this community.

Every Spec has a specific application, and thus makes it my ultimate gaming and audio production machine as of 2015. 

The only remaining questions I have is any noise reduction/additional fan cooling solutions? Budget is 3k

God bless and thank you!

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($91.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($88.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($435.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($654.98 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($52.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit)  ($129.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $2760.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 03:13 EST-0500

Looks fine to me (a bit overkill in places but hey, why the f not)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Spend less on SSD' s and put the saved money towards another 980 Ti.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Spend less on SSD' s and put the saved money towards another 980 Ti.

though if you've been following this somewhat of a Saga of a build. it's not for gaming, it's for music creation

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

though if you've been following this somewhat of a Saga of a build. it's not for gaming, it's for music creation

Oh, yes, I recall the reasons now. The SSD could prove very useful. 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

get 3 more 140mm case fans (either noctua, or fractal if you want to stick to the one which is already in) for better airflow and better chance of oc'ing that beast of an i7 ;)

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfa14pwm

And (i dont know where you come from, but where i live, there is a special R5 Edition from PCGH, where they closed the top vents and made it all black)

http://geizhals.de/fractal-design-define-r5-pcgh-edition-oem-pcgh-ca-def-r5-b-a1276676.html

that could also make it more silent and stealthy looking

CPU: Intel i7 5820K CPU @ 4,3 GHz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: ASUS X99-A/USB-3.1 Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2400 Optical: LG GH24NS DVD Burner Optical: BD Reader SSD: Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256 GB SATA 6GB's PSU: Seasonic X650 Video Card: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 Case: fractal design Define R5 black OS: Windows 10 64bit Monitor: Dell U2715H

The SSD's are to hold the sound libraries and the OS. Yes, 1tb of sounds. It's insane.

I chose an i7 gaming style build instead of a xeon workstation build due to the fast response-times of a gaming setup, makes live midi recording much snappier.  

The 64gb ram are for active VSTi and VST plugins. a combination of which is extremely CPU intensive, this helps make the editing process much smoother as apposed to pre rendering audio to be able to listen to a multitude of tracks in one project. I could have easily gone with an i7-5960x 8-core processor, but I am for skylake to release their higher core count lineup. the same with the choice of the 980ti vs the titan x and pascal lineup due towards the end of next year. 

The WD red was a bit puzzling to most people, but it operates under lower noise and has a longer life longevity to it. This is going to be responsible for document based files while the SSD run all the programs. If it can't do the job due to its rather low rpm, it is still very easy to swap out. 

If you noticed, i have very similar parts in my Rig (the GPU is different of course^^)

But i can tell you, if you put that GPU in the top slot and the noctua ND15 as a CPU cooler, that is going to be a very tight fit...

When i first built that PC, i thought it wouldn't fit at all and i put it in the 2nd slot (but there the GPU was only having x8 Speeds).

I think if there would be more clearance between the GPU and the CPU cooler, the thermals would be better.

Maybe opt for an CPU-cooler which isn't that bulky, or at least more bend to the top, or maybe chose a Mobo which has a top x1 slot, that makes some space for the GPU ;)

CPU: Intel i7 5820K CPU @ 4,3 GHz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: ASUS X99-A/USB-3.1 Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2400 Optical: LG GH24NS DVD Burner Optical: BD Reader SSD: Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256 GB SATA 6GB's PSU: Seasonic X650 Video Card: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 Case: fractal design Define R5 black OS: Windows 10 64bit Monitor: Dell U2715H

TBH, i would change out the HDD, i wouldn't recommend that you get a 5400 RPM, get a WD Black or Seagate Barracuda. Unless you plan on getting another one and are going to RAID them. 

Something Awesome!

Pffffff only 64gb of ram man?? Come on!  :D

jk jk lol

Looks like a beastly machine! I hope it handles your DAW and any other content creation programs you need for years to come :)

Hmm, thathat the GPU heat may be rising into the cooler, lessening the efficiency of the heat dispersion for the CPU.

However, the gigabyte g1 gaming 980ti I believe will cool more sufficiently than the 970, and radiate less heat.

Having no ventilation at the top probably traps a lot of that heat that should be rising out of the case, so airflow would be restricted to a sideways motion the intake being in the front and exhausting out the rear. 

Hmm, thathat the GPU heat may be rising into the cooler, lessening the efficiency of the heat dispersion for the CPU.

However, the gigabyte g1 gaming 980ti I believe will cool more sufficiently than the 970, and radiate less heat.

Having no ventilation at the top probably traps a lot of that heat that should be rising out of the case, so airflow would be restricted to a sideways motion the intake being in the front and exhausting out the rear. 

You will have no problems with heat man :)

First off you have pretty much the best CPU air cooler you can get

Second, the G1 Gaming moves a lot of air on its own, and even if it all went directly to the CPU cooler you would only see a negligible temperature change since theres so much air flow.

Third, the R5 has plenty of airflow! As long as you don't have the machine right up against a wall you should be fine! And if you ever think the heat is not escaping properly you could take the vent covers off the top and let it passively radiate heat or even put a few fans there :)

Regardless, your not gonna have to worry about it :P

Yes and i dont know about the difference between my GTX 970's backplate and your 980TI's but, that could also be a close call of fitting at all (just want to warn you, that you could be running into difficulties, i was suprised about the little clearance the card had against the cpu cooler)

Btw: my CPU is running @4,4 GHz and 1,295V which generates at full load a CPU temperature of up t0 85°C (with the CPU-Cooler at 100% and all 3 fans (2x Fractal and 1x Noctua) blowing at 100% also

Well the 980ti almost draws double the power than my 970, so the extra heat must go somewhere. And if the backplate sits directly on the CPU-cooler it's worse than it can be

i think positive pressure airflow from the front is pretty good, but if you dont have much clearance inside the case, that will be more difficult, than let's say every component has some space and the air can circulate around it and make it cool nicely

But nevertheless, your milage may very^^ and it could pan out very well for you as well (i dont know if you even consider OC'ing your CPU and or GPU (just something to think about).

If i had known about that, before i bought my PC, i would've probably bought either a different mobo or a different cooler

Unfortunately I found another potential problem, This is in the notes of the motherboard, are any of these potenial bottlenecks? I use gonna use ton of usb connetions.

1* The PCIe x16_4 shares bandwidth with M.2 x4. When M.2 socket is occupied, the PCIe x16_4 slot will be disabled.
2* The PCIe x16_4 shares bandwidth with M.2 x4. When M.2 socket is occupied, the PCIe x16_4 slot will be disabled.The PCIe x16_3 slot support x8 devices only.
3* The PCIe x16_2, PCIe x1_1 and USB3_E56 connectors share the same bandwidth. By default, the PCIe x16_2 slot and PCIe x1_1 slot will automatically run at x1 mode with USB3_E56 enabled for best resource optimization.
4* Due to chipset behavior, The SATA6G_78, SATA6G_910 ports (black) do not support IRST including RAID configuration.
5* These functions will work depending on the CPU installed.

don't think so

Change the cpu cooler to a all-in-one water cooling solution for the same price.

I think the ram is a bit overkill for you (32Gb is more than enough).

Change the cpu cooler to a all-in-one water cooling solution for the same price.

I think the ram is a bit overkill for you (32Gb is more than enough).

Air coolers are quieter than AIOs since the pump is the noisiest component (+ Air coolers beat all AIOs at their price point, only once AIOs get more expensive than air coolers do they start to out perform them)

64 GB RAM for just audio is overkill forsure. At that point 16 would do. But the insane amount ram is for all the mastering, vsti, and vst synthesizers I am going to run and edit simultaneously can get demanding enough to justify 64gb worth of ram. the investment is made so I can make a product quicker.