MSI 290 Gaming Overheating

winningsince1337

My MSI Gaming 290 idles at 60 my it's self an hits 95 then thermal throttles with both fans running 100% on it. No there is no dust on it, and yes there is adequate airflow just by its self. Should I buy new thermal paste and repaste it myself or should I RMA it and see if they give me a new 390 or something like that like the guy who RMA'ed his 280x last week said.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w聽

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon)聽Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Is it the second one? You said you have Crossfire in your sig, I'm wondering if the card is right up next to the other one and is choking for air. Even my reference 290 gets better temps than that.

My MSI Gaming 290 idles at 60 my it's self an hits 95 then thermal throttles with both fans running 100% on it. No there is no dust on it, and yes there is adequate airflow just by its self. Should I buy new thermal paste and repaste it myself or should I RMA it and see if they give me a new 390 or something like that like the guy who RMA'ed his 280x last week said.

Write them a e-mail and see what they say. Then you can still decide if you want to RMA it or not.

Reference no point

Non reference yes.

Get in touch with customer support first though.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Is it the second one? You said you have Crossfire in your sig, I'm wondering if the card is right up next to the other one and is choking for air. Even my reference 290 gets better temps than that.

No it had one slot between the two and I pulled my second card and ran the MSI one solo and it still did that.

According to:聽http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/msi-r9-290-gaming-overheating.216756/ 聽The thermal paste is just shitty and has to be repasted

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w聽

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon)聽Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Write them a e-mail and see what they say. Then you can still decide if you want to RMA it or not.

Reference no point

Non reference yes.

Get in touch with customer support first though.

Already submitted a ticket, and its a 290 Twin Frozr Gaming. Just seeing what the community thought about the issue. In my experience MSI RMA's are slowish but always work out for the best.

No it had one slot between the two and I pulled my second card and ran the MSI one solo and it still did that.

According to:聽http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/msi-r9-290-gaming-overheating.216756/ 聽The thermal paste is just shitty and has to be repasted

Redo it then. I'm not sure what MSI's policy is on removing coolers and what not but I think they're not as lenient as EVGA or XFX is.

Redo it then. I'm not sure what MSI's policy is on removing coolers and what not but I think they're not as lenient as EVGA or XFX is.

Depends on the region.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Depends on the region.

I'm in the USA, I guess we'll see what they tell me. Maybe I'll get a new 390 like that guy who RMA'ed his old 280聽 :D

Depends on the region.

Ah. I've only owned one MSI card and it was a 760, so there was no point in taking it apart.

I'm in the USA, I guess we'll see what they tell me. Maybe I'll get a new 390 like that guy who RMA'ed his old 280聽 :D

I doubt it with the 290 but who knows.

I doubt it with the 290 but who knows.

Ah. I've only owned one MSI card and it was a 760, so there was no point in taking it apart.

MSi Support told me to replace the thermal paste to no avail though. I guess we'll find out what I get as an RMA lol