Case Fans' Impact on GPU Temps?

Dakkottadavviss

My rig is an i5-2000k 4.5GHz w/ Hyper 212 EVO. An Asus 970 Strix OC (1463/8000) and a NZXT Noctis 450. The hard drive cages are removed and I'm running 3x120mm front intake and 1x140mm rear exhaust (also going to be throwing the 140mm on the top for exhaust and putting my new LTT edition 140mm fan in the rear.) Both my GPU and CPU sit at about 50% fan speed at 60C/50C respectively. The case fans and CPU fan are at the same speeds (I use the PWM fan hub for all of the fans.) The air coming out of the rear exhaust is noticeably warm if that makes any difference.

The point of this is that my GPU is rather loud compared to the rest of the system. I was wondering what my options were. One question I had is how much of an effect would my case fan speed have on the GPU temperature? I was thinking about throwing an AIO 240mm/280mm water cooler on the GPU to reduce noise. The thing that isn't the option is lowering my overclock. I play at 1440P at 60-120Hz and I need all the help I can get.

CPUIntel Core i5 6600K - 4.6 GHz | MotherboardASUS Z170l Pro Gaming | RAM8GB Corsair LPX | SSDSamsung 850 EVO - 250GB HDDWD Blue - 2TB | GPUAsus Strix GTX 970 | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S | CoolingCorsair H110 w/ 2 x Noctua NF-A14 | MonitorAcer Predator XB271HU + Benq RL2455HM | PeripheralsCorsair Strafe RGB Silent + Mionix Naos 7000

One in the front, one in the back. That should be enough.

Please remember to follow your own topics! @Dakkottadavviss

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Case fans don't have that big effect on GPU temps. Max 5-10C I'd say. For now you can test to lower GPU fan speed to level that you are comfortable and check how temps change. GPUs can take up to 80-90C operating temp where 80C under gaming/high load is just fine. Triple 120mm intake should be quite enough for providing cool air to GPU.

Adding AIO will ofc be better, but I'd test lowering max speed or tweaking curve first. You can use MSI Afterburner or another Rivatuner skin for that.

One in the front, one in the back. That should be enough.

Please remember to follow your own topics! @Dakkottadavviss

You should read the question BEFORE posting.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Case fans don't have that big effect on GPU temps. Max 5-10C I'd say. For now you can test to lower GPU fan speed to level that you are comfortable and check how temps change. GPUs can take up to 80-90C operating temp where 80C under gaming/high load is just fine. Triple 120mm intake should be quite enough for providing cool air to GPU.

Adding AIO will ofc be better, but I'd test lowering max speed or tweaking curve first. You can use MSI Afterburner or another Rivatuner skin for that.

^

To add to that, a 120mm AIO should already be plenty for any gpu. More is just overkill.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.