NEW AMD BUILD

Hi everyone, 

This is my first time posting as well as building a gaming rig. I'm sure you all have answered thousands of these though, just browsing the various topics in this forum and based on all of the options out there, I'm quickly learning that no build is identical - not even close. Therefore, I decided to sign up and seek some advice on my first PC build. 

Philosophy of Use:

I do some graphics designing and minor video editing for work. I may even get into some web design down the road with Adobe Dreamweaver and I already use Photoshop CS5. However,  the bulk of my work can be accomplished using basic MS Office apps. Therefore, the hardware I researched is really directed at handling the games I love to play. I'll play anything from Civ 5 to the new Star Wars Battlefront (when it comes out, can't wait!). Obviously, I'll need some major power for the latter, but I don't need to run it on the highest settings and I do have a budget. That led me to the following. 

Specs:

- AMD FX 8350 Processor

- MSI 970 Gaming ATX Motherboard: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9194718&sku=RSC-102599344

but I also found the MSI 970A MB-G46 and while the specs look similar, It is like $30 cheaper and wondering why... and would it make a big difference to go with this instead... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1963472&CatId=7244

- MSI Radeon R9 380 Graphics Card

The SSD, HD, RAM, and Power Supply I figure doesn't really matter quite as much, as long as it is a reputable brand and accomplishes what I'm looking for. I'm aiming for a 240GB SSD,  1TB HD, 16 GB of RAM (1833Mz at least, even though I know I can go to 2133 based on the mother board I picked), and probably 700W power supply. 

Based on all of these items, I came in around $750 between Amazon and Tiger Direct, which is on target with my budget. I also want to run 2 monitors for productivity. I don't know which monitor to get and was hoping to get some advice. I'd like to use one of the monitors to plug in my PS4 when I want to game on that as well. 

However, my big question is are these good items for what I'm looking for, or should I be looking at something else? Knowing very little about builds, i just want to make sure I'm building a quality machine that will last for a while with room to expand and not a jumble of mix-matched parts. 

Thank you in advance for all of your help and advice!

not a jumble of mix-matched parts

I thought all PCs were jumbles of mix-matched parts...  :P

|| Case: Corsair Graphite 230T || CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K || CPU Cooler: Corsair A50 || Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE 3X || Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO ||

|| RAM: ADATA XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) || Storage: Seagate 600 SSD 240GB, WD Black 1TB || PSU: XFX Pro 650W Core Edition || OS: Windows 10 Pro || What's an optical drive? ||

OP, AMD CPU's are horrible for gaming, generally (before someone jumps on me with a Witcher 3 benchmark, I said generally). You will have a better overall experience on the Intel platform.

You don't need high clock speed memory for gaming when you have a dedicated GPU.

If you go Intel, you won't need a high wattage PSU either.

If you can post your actual budget, we can get you a proper gaming PC.

wait a few moments for Zen and XPoint they are only months away

We don't even know if it'll be worth the wait or even the money, as we have no idea how it'll perform. So that doesn't help the OP whatsoever.

OP, AMD CPU's are horrible for gaming, generally (before someone jumps on me with a Witcher 3 benchmark, I said generally). You will have a better overall experience on the Intel platform.

You don't need high clock speed memory for gaming when you have a dedicated GPU.

We don't even know if it'll be worth the wait or even the money, as we have no idea how it'll perform. So that doesn't help the OP whatsoever.

we have a start for XPoint Cad will be amazing CAD is always running no load times 

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

we have a start for XPoint Cad will be amazing CAD is always running no load times 

Could you rephrase that? I have no idea what you're saying.

Do not use AMD CPUs at the moment...

Why not AMD at this moment? 

The FX 8350 will be very good for what you are doing video editing and photoshop

High speed ram is also very good for what you are doing  video editing and photoshop

The FX is not fantastic for gaming but it is fine and competes with an i5 4460+ in games that use 8 cores.

The PSU really matters, a bad PSU and your computer is fucked. Get an EVGA G2 or GS

Could you rephrase that? I have no idea what you're saying.

thats the point of XPoint things on your hard drive are always "running" theres next to no load times. They are in your RAM slots essentially on a huge scale. 128 GB of XPoint Ram will be the minimum. 

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

A bit over budget but I think this will do you really well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($224.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($76.75 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $782.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-08 02:55 EST-0500

Thanks, Kloaked, 

I'm looking at a total budget of $1500 which would account for monitors, speakers, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. I'm literally starting from scratch. 

Your budget is 750 you say?

Well, for the hardware aspect of the build. I'm literally starting from scratch, so when I factor I'll also need two monitors, speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc. I'll end up at around $1500. 

Thanks, Kloaked, 

I'm looking at a total budget of $1500 which would account for monitors, speakers, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. I'm literally starting from scratch. 

OH! Why didn't ya say so? We can make you a nice setup. 

Thanks, Kloaked, 

So before I chime in with my own recommendation, I want to pull more info from you so we can get you what you need.

How many monitors are you wanting and do you care if they're IPS panels? Do you have a keyboard preference (mechanical? if so, which switch type), mice preference, speaker preference?

I thought all PCs were jumbles of mix-matched parts...  :P

LOL very true! Just a properly working, cost-efficient, jumble of mix-matched parts then  :D

Why not AMD at this moment? 

Because AMD CPUs suck for gaming atm. That, and Zen which is set to be a high performance chip is due next year so it would be pointless in getting an FX8xxx at the moment. 

So before I chime in with my own recommendation, I want to pull more info from you so we can get you what you need.

How many monitors are you wanting and do you care if they're IPS panels? Do you have a keyboard preference (mechanical? if so, which switch type), mice preference, speaker preference?

Good idea.

Dude I love Zen too, but that's due in Q4 of 2016....

Q3*

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Not a problem! 

I'll need 2 monitors. I'd prefer IPS panels but it doesn't have to be. I'm guessing just about any monitor would be ok for console gaming since the refresh rate can only go as fast as the HDMI 2.0 port will allow it? I ask as I'd also probably use one to plug my ps4 in when I'm playing that as well. 

For the keyboard, I'd prefer a mechanical, MX Cherry-Brown switches would be ideal but I'd be willing to sacrifice my keyboard, mouse, and speakers for say, better monitors or something else if I had to.

The speakers can be basic, I'll be investing in a quality headset once I get some more money in a few months. But for now I'll just need some decent, basic audio. 

wait a few moments for Zen and XPoint they are only months away

Zen is coming Q4 2016

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps?