Controllers Suck

byalexandr

I don't have a nice racing wheel yet, and I was planning on asking for one for Christmas, probably a G27. For now I've been using a PS3 controller with some janky DS3 crap, which works but it's not nearly as realistic as a wheel. I can't feel the car at all through the gamepad. Is there ANYTHING I can do to pump up the fun a bit? Maybe DIY something? Any ideas?

Get in a car and drive off a cliff I highly recommend it. lol

try a scuf controller to make the ps3 feel better?

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

sadly that's the best experience you can get with a gamepad. wheel and pedals is your best bet at this point. luckily the G27 is an awesome wheel-and-pedal set. 

Get in a car and drive off a cliff I highly recommend it. lol

try a scuf controller to make the ps3 feel better?

Nah ain't got my license yet... Do have my driver's ed but I can't go rally racing...

Maybe I can set up a wheel with my Android tablet or something? Isn't that a thing?

sadly that's the best experience you can get with a gamepad. wheel and pedals is your best bet at this point. luckily the G27 is an awesome wheel-and-pedal set. 

Yeah I was using my friend's the other day and now I can't stop thinking about it. I thought gamepads were pretty okay but now they're awful to drive with.

That's what you get with a controller.

It's like asking a Lamborghini to go mudding or deep sea diving. It wasn't built for that specifically.

There's nothing that can rival the feel or functionality of a wheel...

G27's a fantastic wheel!

Nah ain't got my license yet... Do have my driver's ed but I can't go rally racing...

Well, driving off a cliff doesn't necessarily require your licence :P

(legally, on private property you're allowed to do whatever you want, including driving, without a licence)

"Rawr XD"

That's what you get with a controller.

It's like asking a Lamborghini to go mudding or deep sea diving. It wasn't built for that specifically.

There's nothing that can rival the feel or functionality of a wheel...

G27's a fantastic wheel!

Turn off ALL the assists! That will toughen it up a bit. Really though, there is nothing like a proper racing wheel. I bought a G27 a couple of months ago while it was on sale. It's great for the price and there are plenty of mods you can do to make it even better. Maybe if you try to use the controler with your feet and hands it would seem more realistic.

Current PC: Chimera, Because AMD and Nvidia belong together

| CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 | Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256 GB SSD, 2x Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HDD | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB SC | Case: CM N600 | PSU: Corsair CX 600W(Overkill but I was originaly planning for a 970) | Moniter: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24" |

Left five, Don't cut, Be brave.

Turn off ALL the assists! That will toughen it up a bit. Really though, there is nothing like a proper racing wheel. I bought a G27 a couple of months ago while it was on sale. It's great for the price and there are plenty of mods you can do to make it even better. Maybe if you try to use the controler with your feet and hands it would seem more realistic.

Yeah I did, makes it a bit better but there's no feedback or anything on the PS3 controller, or at least I don't know how to enable it with the DS3 or SCP or whatever I'm using.

Edit: I even turned off ABS... That was... Interesting.

Yeah I did, makes it a bit better but there's no feedback or anything on the PS3 controller, or at least I don't know how to enable it with the DS3 or SCP or whatever I'm using.

Edit: I even turned off ABS... That was... Interesting.

Before i was using a PS3 controller as well with SCP. The vibration feedback worked for me, I'm not sure how you turn them on within SCP though, it just worked. What games are you playing? I know for sure that i got feedback in DiRT Rally.

| CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 | Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256 GB SSD, 2x Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HDD | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB SC | Case: CM N600 | PSU: Corsair CX 600W(Overkill but I was originaly planning for a 970) | Moniter: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24" |

Before i was using a PS3 controller as well with SCP. The vibration feedback worked for me, I'm not sure how you turn them on within SCP though, it just worked. What games are you playing? I know for sure that i got feedback in DiRT Rally.

DiRT 3, just until I get me GPU cooler in the mail so I can play more intensive stuff.

DiRT 3, just until I get me GPU cooler in the mail so I can play more intensive stuff.

I just checked. In the settings there is an option for vibration. Do you have that on?

I just checked. In the settings there is an option for vibration. Do you have that on?

Which settings? DiRT 3 or SCP?

Which settings? DiRT 3 or SCP?

In DiRT 3. There isn't a setting for it in SCP as far as I can see.

In DiRT 3. There isn't a setting for it in SCP as far as I can see.

Huh, well I have it enabled but it's not doing anything. :/

Huh, well I have it enabled but it's not doing anything. :/

Hmmmmm. Try reinstalling SCP. If tht doesnt work, I dont know what it could be. I will look into this.

Hmmmmm. Try reinstalling SCP. If tht doesnt work, I dont know what it could be. I will look into this.

Eh, I must just get an X360 Controller instead of this PS3 controller. At least it will be natively supported lol.

Eh, I must just get an X360 Controller instead of this PS3 controller. At least it will be natively supported lol.

I'm sorry i couldn't really help you. I wish you a better experience in the future when you get a G27.