Faster rendering. cpu or gpu

ericks_comp

I'm planing on upgrading some parts on my system... 
Right now i have a i5 750, a Nvidia GT 220, SSD... And just got a GoPro Camara... I've been working on adobe premiere pro cs6 and the rendering times are taking for ever! 

My question is what makes rendering times faster? the CPU or GPU? I've read that Premiere now supports GPU-accelaration via OpenCL... 

Will just upgrading my video card to something like a HD7850 help speed up the rendering times? 

or do i need up upgrade the CPU? the new Intel have Quick Sync, i7 4770K used build in graphics... Or FX-8320 8core? with the an HD7850? 

I'm planing on upgrading some parts on my system... 

Right now i have a i5 750, a Nvidia GT 220, SSD... And just got a GoPro Camara... I've been working on adobe premiere pro cs6 and the rendering times are taking for ever! 

My question is what makes rendering times faster? the CPU or GPU? I've read that Premiere now supports GPU-accelaration via OpenCL... 

Will just upgrading my video card to something like a HD7850 help speed up the rendering times? 

or do i need up upgrade the CPU? the new Intel have Quick Sync, i5 4770K used build in graphics... Or FX-8320 8core? with the an HD7850? 

i7 4770K or i5 4670K? I would presume the i5 since its around the same price as the 8320.

\

Upgrade the GPU for the love of demigod Linus, get a 760, It's a quadrupillion times better that the GT 220

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

You'll likely need a good CPU (4770k if you render frequently for hyperthreading, or i5 4670k if you don't render often) and add a good GPU to take advantage of GPU acceleration. Your CPU may be fine for now, but an upgrade will definitely improve render times significantly.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Upgrading to a newer graphics card or processor will help out a lot. However upgrading both will help out a great deal. The processors of today in haswell will have a striking increase in performance and a gtx 220 won't compare to a 7850/7870 or gtx 760's performance. OpenCL is a beast in these newer cards and I put the gtx 760 in there because CS6 loves cuda according to logan.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 @4.2GHZ | MSI 970A-G 46| Gskill Sniper 2X4GB 2400| Samsung 840 EVO 120GB| NZXT Phantom 410 gunmetal|

Apevia 680W Iceberg| HIS R9-270X| WD green 3TB| 

Upgrade the GPU for the love of demigod Linus, get a 760, It's a quadrupillion times better that the GT 220

No, get a 7950/7970 adobe applications benefit from the stream processors I believe.

If you don't use huge effects (3D for example), you won't benefit that much from a powerful GPU with Premiere/After Effect, you'd be better off picking up a better CPU then.

Upgrading to a newer graphics card or processor will help out a lot. However upgrading both will help out a great deal. The processors of today in haswell will have a striking increase in performance and a gtx 220 won't compare to a 7850/7870 or gtx 760's performance. OpenCL is a beast in these newer cards and I put the gtx 760 in there because CS6 loves cuda according to logan.

If i was to upgrade one thing... I'm better of with the GPU then? 

i7 4770K or i5 4670K? I would presume the i5 since its around the same price as the 8320.

But the 8320 or 8350 have 8 cores, the i5 4670k has 4... google FX-8350 and Tek Syndicate has a video that it outperform most of the i5 for games... would it also be for rendering?? 

guys read what he is saying

Quick Sync is amazing 

when converting video on my HD4000 i get 400+ fps  and the quality is just as good as cpu rendering

if ur software supports it go with a good midrange haswell quadcore with the best iGPU

EDIT

after google it seems that adobe isnt showing any love for quicksync

upgrade you GPU i guess

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

the 4770k will probably be faster than the 7850, however, be sure to disable gpu rendering, or to force cpu rendering, otherwise it will still try to have the gpu help, and it will get screwed up, i built a system with a 3930k and a 7970, and it was rendering alright, but it was slower than my machine with an 8120, until i realized that the cpu wasnt even reaching 25% usage while rendering, i tweaked my editing programs (I use both CS6 and Vegas, as well as many different 3d animation/modeling programs) to use the cpu exclusively (besides Inventor, it really does benefit from the gpu) and now it can spit out a 30 sec 4k clip in a few seconds. (I oc'ed it to 4.8GHz as well..haven't updated my sig yet) also, i would still upgrade that poor little 220 either way 

Main Machines~ Prometheus - i7 3930k @ 4.5GHz, X79-UD3, HyperX Blu 1600Mhz 24Gb (2x8Gb, 2x4Gb), XFX Double-D 7970, H100i, Military green C70, TX850M, All Corsair SP/AF-120 fans, Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb, 750Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM x2, NZXT Hue accent lights (wouldn't reccommend, they don't stick well). Laptop~ Asus X202E touch notebook- 500Gb 5400RPM 7mm HDD, 4Gb RAM-not upgradeable, 1.8GHz i3, HD4000

get a 780 and enable CUDA/OpenCL

Character artist in the Games industry.

A 7850 is a great upgrade. The gpu acceleration would help quite a bit in rendering.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I would lean toward a CPU upgrade than a GPU upgrade in most rendering situations, but the GT220 is not very powerful. I would upgrade to an upper-end Radeon HD 7000 series cards.

MORE RAM!

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

More fans always helps :D

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

Where do you live? The FX-8320 here is $170 and the i5 4670K is $240. (i live in Canada btw)

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 []