Napster is back in action, relaunches in Canada as a digital streaming platform

CtW

Source: http://dancingastronaut.com/2015/11/napster-back-action-relaunches-digital-streaming-platform/

In 1999, Napster introduced the internet to the concept of person-to-person file sharing. The rest is history, and in 2011 when Napster was acquired by Rhapsody, it looked like Napster had finally met its demise once and for all. But just as its original intention was to provide listeners with the music they wanted effectively, smoothly, and conveniently, now the brand is relaunching once again. Though this time around, Napster is riding the streaming wave to bring fans the music they seek.

Relaunching in Canada as a digital streaming service, Napster is calling for a subscription of $9.99 a month, already boasting functionality across iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and Chromecast platforms. The newest service to join the streaming family is keeping things close to home – at least for the time being. Napster intends to target Canadian artists for playlist curation and provide a “personalized music experience,” as described by the company’s CFO, Ethan Rudin.

We have come a long way since P2P file sharing took off in the late 90s, but as streaming continues to become the standard for media consumption, it will be interesting to see how an old player does in a brand new game.

I'm not sure this will do anything as far as market share is concerned as this will directly compete with Spotify and Apple Music as far as price is concerned. If they want to be successful, they need to do something more unique than just highlighting Canadian artists that will actually grab people's attention. If they cant, then they'll join Tidal on the list of failed streaming services.

Spotify already dominates this type of market. I doubt Napster will be able to come even close to compete. I mean Apple music barely competes with Spotify and only because Apple Music is included with every iPhone/iPad.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Considering this has literally nothing to do with the original creators of Napster, I don't really understand the logic of buying the Napster name. I mean, you then have to go into meetings with the Music Labels, using the name of the software that kinda fucked them over in the late 90's and then ask if you can license their Music. Kinda strikes me by doing that, you're almost certainly gonna have a catalogue of music that suffers compared to that of rivals. Especially when considering the benefit of the name is that it resonates with early adopters of internet piracy. Haha.