ASUS 990fx Red CPU LED help

MaybeRalph

Before anybody asks, yes I have looked for other cases of the same problem and a lot of them were for the 990fx r2.0 motherboard

Hey guys,

So Im working on a friends PC currently and I have no idea what is going on. The motherboard is a ASUS 990fx sabertooth (Not a r2.0 or whatever) and the CPU LED is now bright red. He was doing some windows updates and he said on steam 5/5 his power went out, when he turned the PC back on the video cards wouldn't send anything to the monitor and upon further inspection the CPU LED was now Red. He has had this PC for 4 years, never had an issue like this. My first though was that he may have corrupted the BIOS from the unexpected shutdown. I went to clear the CMOS by using the 3pin with the jumper, but I found out that he didn't have the jumper for some reason. Im not sure if that is a necessary thing to have, as I think the only purpose is to move it over to short the pins for a reset and the main position of the jumper doesn't do anything but theres that. Anyways I proceeded to remove one of the video cards and remove the Onboard battery, left it out for about 10 minutes, and when I put it back same thing. Nothing is feeding through to the monitors, every single fan is running, and the CPU LED is still red. If anybody has any suggestions they would be appreciated. 

Im going through and cleaning out some of the components while I try and figure out what else could be going wrong. If anybody needs me to list the rest of the components that won't be an issue just say so.

I think a red CPU LED means that it's dead.

EDIT: after a quick google, make sure all the cables are properly connected, especially the 8-pin CPU power

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Try a different RAM, the Red LED on my Asus M5A97 R2.0 is usually the checking RAM thing.

I think a red CPU LED means that it's dead.

So you think that the unexpected shutdown during the update killed the CPU? That will be heartbreaking.

Try a different RAM, the Red LED on my Asus M5A97 R2.0 is usually the checking RAM thing.

Checked that using my own RAM from a different PC, nothing changed sadly.

So you think that the unexpected shutdown during the update killed the CPU? That will be heartbreaking.

Not exactly. The red LED means that the CPU isn't preforming correctly, try different configurations of the RAM as AMD boards can be finicky.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Not exactly. The red LED means that the CPU isn't preforming correctly, try different configurations of the RAM as AMD boards can be finicky.

he has 4x4gb DDR3 RAM sticks, so Im gonna try seeing how 1 stick or 2 sticks works. I have also double checked all the Cables are properly connected.

Honestly check the power supply, because the red cpu light may be a power issue, i remember one day working on a sabertooth x79 and i've forgot to connect the 8 pin power connector and upon starting the cpu red led light up.

Honestly check the power supply, because the red cpu light may be a power issue, i remember one day working on a sabertooth x79 and i've forgot to connect the 8 pin power connector and upon starting the cpu red led light up.

Im starting to think that its a PSU issue. Im just confused how it went from working fine to dead that quickly. I mean the power went out and all, but there was a surge protector. 

If anybody has any other suggestions for me, let me know, I might just end up salvaging the parts and selling the working stuff. Sadly its kinda old and I don't know if there is a market for cards with 1gb video ram. Even for like $20+ shipping lol

Power outtages can be hard for a psu perticulary when the grid comes back online, i've seen my share of dead components, that's why i'm using 2 ups combined with a automatic voltage regulator for my main rig and one for my NAS.

Power outtages can be hard for a psu perticulary when the grid comes back online, i've seen my share of dead components, that's why i'm using 2 ups combined with a automatic voltage regulator for my main rig and one for my NAS.

Well, oddly enough I don't think it is the PSU since everything is working on the case (LED/Fans) so Im not really sure, Im still struggling here haha. Different ram didn't do anything, nor did changing the position. Im at a loss currently.

Check the PSU.

I know you might think it's ok, but PSUs are wierd when it comes to shocks (outage and returns).

The 12v rails might be fine to power the fans and such but the 5v and other rails (that power CPU and low voltage hardware) might be shot due to the surge; they use different transformers inside to channel / reduce the power that is needed.

Use a 'known good' PSU in that machine and see if it posts.

You don't even have to install it, just hook up the CPU power, main power and plug it in.

If it posts, get a new PSU.

If it doesn't, start looking at other options.

Test one thing at a time to rule out possibilities.

FX-8320 @3.79 - Corsair H80i - Gigabyte GTX 970 WF - Asus Sabertooth - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 80+ Platinum - Thermaltake Commander Black
--- Twitter: @Armchairgooroo    FB: Thearmchairguru    Twitch: armchairguru ---