College Laptop

multitasker451

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive (max $400 USD) laptop that will last me at least 4 years for college.  It doesn't need any fancy features for gaming or anything since I will have my desktop in my room for that.  It just needs to be able to run Microsoft office, have a reasonable amount of storage space, and last 4 years.  Any recommendations?

Processor Intel Core i5-4690K CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 RAM 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Case NZXT Phantom (Black) PSU Corsair CX600M Operating System Windows 10 Monitor BenQ GL2760H Headset Skullcandy PLYR 1 & Sennheiser Momentum

Any laptop... my core duo laptop can do that.. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Look for a lappy with an i3 or an A8/A10 and preferably the option to add in an SSD.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Look for a lappy with an i3 or an A8/A10 and preferably the option to add in an SSD.

I'm kind of looking for a specific brand that is known for reliability

Processor Intel Core i5-4690K CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 RAM 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Graphics Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Case NZXT Phantom (Black) PSU Corsair CX600M Operating System Windows 10 Monitor BenQ GL2760H Headset Skullcandy PLYR 1 & Sennheiser Momentum

Because you are looking specific brand I will go with Lenovo, because I have great experience with their notebooks in terms of quality and reliability. :)

Just get a cheap laptop that looks nice and upgrade the hard drive to an SSD.

Hp envy laptops are very good and acer aspires are also great both have various models however hp is more competively priced

I'm kind of looking for a specific brand that is known for reliability

good quality at that price point is not common - look for a ThinkPad or maybe a Dell Inspiron.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I'm kind of looking for a specific brand that is known for reliability[/quote any brand it's the components that matter

the basic models from Lenovo are pretty great. i wouldn;t recommend anything from HP since every single classmate i have with an HP has had the thing breaking at least once. withing the first few months of usage.

the basic models from Lenovo are pretty great. i wouldn;t recommend anything from HP since every single classmate i have with an HP has had the thing breaking at least once. withing the first few months of usage.

really! I agree Lenovo are good but they are expensive....for what they are in my opinion

I would recommend looking for a used one. There you can look for some older Dell or Lenovo business notebooks. Most of their older ones (2+ years old, depending on what you can find) are really robust and not even that bulky. They are easy upgradeable, too. So if you want to upgrade it after some time with an SSD, or something like that, it is way more easy than with most other brands. 

For their age most of the old top class notebooks beat new ones in case of price/performance..

I would recommend looking for a used one. There you can look for some older Dell or Lenovo business notebooks. Most of their older ones (2+ years old, depending on what you can find) are really robust and not even that bulky. They are easy upgradeable, too. So if you want to upgrade it after some time with an SSD, or something like that, it is way more easy than with most other brands. 

For their age most of the old top class notebooks beat new ones in case of price/performance..

This is fairly good advice - a Sandy Bridge ThinkPad is quite a good one for work