Dual R9 290x or Single GTX 980 for Watercooling w/ XSPC GPU Blocks

jjjepong

Greetings!!

I'm currently upgrading my custom water cooled loop, I'm looking towards upgrading my GTX 960
to either a Dual R9 290/290x or a Single GTX 980. Performance and Aesthetics are more or less Equal
Since this is a "show rig" and I only use it for gaming and a little of editing/rendering.

I saw these GPU Blocks (http://www.xs-pc.com/waterblocks-gpu/) and just simply had to have them..

Question 1: In terms of Performance and Cost which would be better?

Aesthetics wise, the Dual 290/290x would definitely win it hands down for me.
But still I was almost always accustomed to "one faster card is better than two slower cards"

Question 2: BTW With Regards to the R9 290/290x and GTX 980,
                       If I would be watercooling it with the XSPC Razor Blocks,

Which Brand would I be looking at? MSI,EVGA,PALIT,ASUS,GIGABYTE?
                      Since Looks/Noise wouldn't be a factor, Lets go with Cost and Performance?

Current Setup BTW:

i5-4690k OCd
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
MSI GTX 960 OCd
2x 256 Samsung SSD
1x 3GB HDD
4x 2133 Avexir Raiden RAM
Corsair RM850 PSU

Others:
XSPC D5 Vario Pump
1x 140mm Thermaltake Riing RGB  14 Fan
6x 120mm Thermaltake Riing RG 12 Fans
2x Deep Cool RGB LED Strips (planning to get more just incase I can get the XSPC Blocks)

All inside a custom modded Cooler Master  MasterCase 5 PRO 

Question 3: Lastly, Would my PSU be enough to support the Dual 290/290x setup?

Dual 390 or 980ti is a better idea

And yes your PSU is fine

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Dual 290Xs. They're just below a 980 for now. Two of them will absolutely waste the 980. And I don't even want to think about what will happen in DX12...

Computationally, the 290X is an absolute face-wrecking monster.

Go dual 390s.

Yeah, your PSU should work with it.

he was saying dual 290 :P

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Go dual 390s.

Yeah, your PSU should work with it.

Dual 390 or 980ti is a better idea

And yes your PSU is fine

I was looking into that.. but in XSPC's page (http://www.xs-pc.com/waterblocks-gpu/) I don't see the 390s anywhere..

I am kinda upgrading so that I can get these magnificent Blocks so I can place my RGB LED strips in them for it to match my build.

I know, just sayin' that dual 390s would be a better fit because VRAM 

oh i see

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

I was looking into that.. but in XSPC's page (http://www.xs-pc.com/waterblocks-gpu/) I don't see the 390s anywhere..

I am kinda upgrading so that I can get these magnificent Blocks so I can place my RGB LED strips in them for it to match my build.

290 = 390 so any reference design 290 block will work with a reference design 390

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

the xfx 390 uses the same design as the 290x

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

290 = 390 so any reference design 290 block will work with a reference design 390

the xfx 390 uses the same design as the 290x

Ohh I see.. Thanks for the enlightenment ;) Will definitely consider 390s now.. I just have to dig deeper in my wallet >.<

-SNIP-

-SNIP-

-SNIP-

-SNIP-

Thanks guys, I'm lovin the input.. But any Opinions/Answers to Question #2? Which Brand? I wouldn't be using the stock coolers.. so please factor that out :)

for 980 evga has best price to performance by far http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42983kr 

290 probably sapphire 

Thanks guys, I'm lovin the input.. But any Opinions/Answers to Question #2? Which Brand? I wouldn't be using the stock coolers.. so please factor that out :)

like I said only xfx uses a ref design on their 390

Thanks man, got that. but with regards to the 290x/290s? which brand would you prefer? or in your opinion would best suit my needs?

Thanks man, got that. but with regards to the 290x/290s? which brand would you prefer? or in your opinion would best suit my needs?

MSI or Sapphire.

MSI, they let you take off the cooler.

XFX also lets you take the cooler off in NA despite the warrenty sticker

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

I'd like to add, Powercolor and asus uses reference design as well. There's also no warranty sticker at the heatsink screw on the PowerColor card I've noticed.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I'd like to add, Powercolor and asus uses reference design as well. There's also no warranty sticker at the heatsink screw on the PowerColor card I've noticed.

but we don't touch Asus when it comes to amd..

but we don't touch Asus when it comes to amd..

That's only for the air cooler on the card. The board itself is fine. If I'm watercooling I'd take Powercolor since I know there isn't a sticker covering the screws.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case