Would it be worth my time looking into a CRT monitor? Or should I go for a decent LCD monitor or TV?

PlayStation 2

I've been thinking about it for almost a month at this point, but would it be worth looking into getting a CRT monitor?

I've got a laptop (specs are on my profile) that I'm gonna use it with, and potentially some parts that I might use it for.

I'd be looking into most likely a 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 CRT.

If yes, any recommendations that you could find on eBay or Craigslist (I live in Huntsville, AL so keep that in mind)?

If no, any recommendations on TVs or monitors under $150 that could work?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

$150 budget and your looking to get a crt monitor from 1996? Troll post

I have 4,404 posts.

Does it really look like I'm trying to shitpost.

Now STOP ASSUMING AND GET THE FUCK OUT IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA HELP

What do you want to use it for?   I assume this is for work or business or is this for gaming?

The best CRT to look for is a FW900. It comes from different brands but the main one is Sony , as a GDM FW900, its a 16:10 24" FD Trinitron screen with a native resolution of  2304 x 1440 at 80 Hz. It can go higher on the HZ at lower rez, or higher rez at lower Hz.

Arguably the best CRT monitor made. IF you find one, and ull be lucky, you will likely have to shell out for it, as its highly sought after by CRT users.

( FYI: ignore my post count this isn't my main account, that's currently trying to get the password reset)

The best CRT to look for is a FW900. It comes from different brands but the main one is Sony , as a GDM FW900, its a 16:10 24" FD Trinitron screen with a native resolution of  2304 x 1440 at 80 Hz. It can go higher on the HZ at lower rez, or higher rez at lower Hz.

Arguably the best CRT monitor made. IF you find one, and ull be lucky, you will likely have to shell out for it, as its highly sought after by CRT users.

( FYI: ignore my post count this isn't my main account, that's currently trying to get the password reset)

I would really want to get that, but that's more than likely way out of my $150 budget.

I have 4,404 posts.

Does it really look like I'm trying to shitpost.

Now STOP ASSUMING AND GET THE FUCK OUT IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA HELP

I'm sorry but the only reason I could comprehend that you get a crt monitor at that budget is because your computer doesn't have the horsepower to handle a 1080p display? Chances are that's not the case unless your computer happens to be a literal potato

I'm sorry but the only reason I could comprehend that you get a crt monitor at that budget is because your computer doesn't have the horsepower to handle a 1080p display? Chances are that's not the case unless your computer happens to be a literal potato

It can't handle any games at 1080p but it can at 720p/1024x768.

It can't handle any games at 1080p but it can at 720p/1024x768.

oh I thought you doing some lite editing if you wanna gsmd my personal suggestion is buying something like this http://m.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-24-S24D590PL-Full-HD-1080p-LED-PLS-Widescreen-Monitor-/131306687884?nav=SEARCH and just turning the resolution I'm the settings and turning it back up to 1080p when your not

Assumption is the mother of all f*ckups.

Specially ur assumption that CRT = low rez. There were CRTs that had higher resolutions than newer LCDs until 1440p LCD's become widespread, which wans't that long ago.

The FW900 I mention above has been pushed to 2560x1600 at 60-75hz by people. Though since the screen can do 1200p at close to 100hz, a lot of people just run it at that if they have said monitor. But that's a top end CRT, cheaper CRT's could easily handle 1280x1024 though.

Assumption is the mother of all f*ckups.

Specially ur assumption that CRT = low rez. There were CRTs that had higher resolutions than newer LCDs until 1440p LCD's become widespread, which wans't that long ago.

The FW900 I mention above has been pushed to 2560x1600 at 60-75hz by people. Though since the screen can do 1200p at close to 100hz, a lot of people just run it at that if they have said monitor. But that's a top end CRT, cheaper CRT's could easily handle 1280x1024 though.

its also got bezels thicker than my loud neighbours dry wall and effectively a giant box sticking out of it

Aye to true. And that never bothered us back in the day ..why does it now? :P

My Plasma has a 2inch bezel at the top and 3 inch ons the sides and bottom... couldn't care less. You don't surround game with these things.

As for depth, yea, it'll take up a lot of room ,but again that's something u dealt with back then and can still deal with now. a pull out keyboard tray for example if u don't got room in front of the screen. or just a deep desktop, or pull out the desk from the wall a bit and set the screen back further.

God I remember my dads FW900. It was heavy as all hell. I remember seeing it for the 1st time and then my dad booted up Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and was truly mesmerized by the display and graphics. Good times lol. Anyways it would be hard pressed to find a solid working FW900. If you did on Ebay shipping alone would be hundreds of dollars as the monitor weighs about 100 pounds.   These are becoming more a collectors piece anyways. I have seen them be sold for $500 plus. 

http://imgur.com/a/UDZFL#0

There was a post I was reading about this no to long ago. 

I would not bother with a CRT honestly. They are a sense of nostalgia sure but many of the older ones with a lesser resolution do not hold up to well to LEDs. Anyways if you are going for that nostalgia feeling then I am sure on craigslist you would be able to find a few CRTs. The quality, however, would be compelely suspect. 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

RAM:  Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200(16gb) | GPU: Evga FTW ACX  3.0 GTX 1080(2x)

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w