Excellent Audio Blog: http://archimago.blogspot.de

SSL

http://archimago.blogspot.de

Just found this audio blog. It's filled with tons of objective measurements of all sorts of audio gear and software.

One thing I've learned so far is that the Windows Sound Mixer (using DirectSound) will cause audible high frequency rolloff if set to oversample (e.g. setting the default format higher than the music files being played). This explains what a forum member observed in this thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/343019-sound-clarity-help/?p=4679377. So that means either leave the default format set to 16/44 or else use foobar2k with the WASAPI  plugin to bypass the Windows OS audio stack and send a bit-perfect stream to your DAC.

Happy learning.

i think this is against the CoC (not 100% sure)

I don't believe so, but your comment definitely is in violation of CoC. So, leave it to the mods.

Good, something to redeem my faith in the internet after reading this...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Good, something to redeem my faith in the internet after reading this...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen

Yep, there's a post on USB cable measurements on the blog as well. As you would imagine, no measureable effect on jitter.

Waiting for Nwavguy to show.

One day.

Yeah...

Doesn't Nwavguy work for Audeze?

I thought that was a rumor, like him working for Fiio or a Fiio shill.

That would be news to me.

I honestly don't know as I'm just going with dirt sheets (wrestling term, meaning [in the 80's and 90's] its a reliable source. But now [the 2000's], dirt sheets are just rumour mills. Dirt sheets could be taken as news via word of mouth or in articles in the internet) regarding information on his whereabouts. I'm curious about him.

I never got that impression. His review of the Fiio E10 has hardly glowing. Same with the other Fiio stuff he's measured/reviewed.

I honestly don't know as I'm just going with dirt sheets (wrestling term, meaning [in the 80's and 90's] its a reliable source. But now [the 2000's], dirt sheets are just rumour mills. Dirt sheets could be taken as news via word of mouth or in articles in the internet) regarding information on his whereabouts. I'm curious about him.

I'm sure plenty of people are, given he dissappeared so abruptly. I think it's most likely that his employer reigned him in, assuming he didn't just up and die. Although apparently he's had a history of disappearing and the surfacing again under a new online "identity", so who knows.

I never got that impression. His review of the Fiio E10 has hardly glowing. Same with the other Fiio stuff he's measured/reviewed.

I'm sure plenty of people are, given he dissappeared so abruptly. I think it's most likely that his employer reigned him in, assuming he didn't just up and die. Although apparently he's had a history of disappearing and the surfacing again under a new online "identity", so who knows.

A new online identity like "SSL", methinks :P!!!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

A new online identity like "SSL", methinks :P!!!

lel

I'm nowhere near clever enough to be him.

Unless that's all part of the disguise...

lel

I'm nowhere near clever enough to be him.

Unless that's all part of the disguise...

I feel somewhat as though clever is a bit of a misnomer; I think you're just missing some tools and schooling. You have the right attitude [emoji14]

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)