Build Randomly Crashing

Zyect

So I recently built a computer from the ground up ($600~ minus the monitor). Right after I installed the motherboard and CPU, my computer started randomly freezing (usually very loud static would emit from the speakers the second it froze), which required a hard reboot to use computer again, or crashing and automatically rebooting (has been crashing for 6~ months now). And by random, I really mean random: anywhere from 1 minute inbetween crashes to a couple days. One time, it crashed, instantly rebooted, and then crashed again so fast that it didn't even show the BIOS startup logo.

It is a 64-bit operating system with Windows 7 Professional.

Specs:

AMD FX-6300 6-core Black Edition (overclocked to 4.1GHz; problem still persists at stock speeds)

CoolerMaster T4 Heatsink with dual 120mm fans

Sapphire R9 280 Dual-X 3.0 GB (overclocked; problem still persists at stock speeds)

Gigabyte 970A-UD3P ATX Mobo (BIOS Version: F1, latest)

Gskill RipJaws 2x4GB RAM 1866Mhz Profile1

PNY 240GB SATA III 2.5" Solid State Drive

Solid Gear BASIX Series 600W

Basic optical/CD-ROM Drive

Corsair Carbide Series Spec 01 ATX Mid Tower Case

Crashes are slightly more frequent when playing a game. However, I triple checked all temperatures, and without overclocking, neither the CPU nor GPU core even come close to potentially overheating. CPU average temp under load: inbetween 40-50C. GPU Core under load: 48-53C.

Update: It happened every 5-10 minutes while playing a game (League of Legends) and I tried turning off V-Sync, and it hasn't crashed since. Does that sound right?

VSync just limits your frames to the monitors refresh rate.What Hz is your monitor running on?

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W

I also turned anti-aliasing off, and it still hasn't crashed since I turned off both v-sync and anti-aliasing.

Im noticing a trend with gigabyte mobos here. My GB board has similar symptoms as yours minus the static noise.

If you can, test another board with your hardware. If its still under warranty RMA the MoBo.

Intel i7-4770; ASUS Z97M-PLUS/BR ;Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz; EVGA Geforce 970 SC; Corsair TX550M; Raijintek Aeneas

Im noticing a trend with gigabyte mobos here.

Poor old gigabyte, I am seeing more and more posts regarding card or mobo issues from them. I suspect they have become victims of their own success and the quality control has suffered.

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

So I recently built a computer from the ground up ($600~ minus the monitor). Right after I installed the motherboard and CPU, my computer started randomly freezing (usually very loud static would emit from the speakers the second it froze), which required a hard reboot to use computer again, or crashing and automatically rebooting (has been crashing for 6~ months now). And by random, I really mean random: anywhere from 1 minute inbetween crashes to a couple days. One time, it crashed, instantly rebooted, and then crashed again so fast that it didn't even show the BIOS startup logo.

It is a 64-bit operating system with Windows 7 Professional.

Specs:

AMD FX-6300 6-core Black Edition (overclocked to 4.1GHz; problem still persists at stock speeds)

CoolerMaster T4 Heatsink with dual 120mm fans

Sapphire R9 280 Dual-X 3.0 GB (overclocked; problem still persists at stock speeds)

Gigabyte 970A-UD3P ATX Mobo (BIOS Version: F1, latest)

Gskill RipJaws 2x4GB RAM 1866Mhz Profile1

PNY 240GB SATA III 2.5" Solid State Drive

Solid Gear BASIX Series 600W

Basic optical/CD-ROM Drive

Corsair Carbide Series Spec 01 ATX Mid Tower Case

Crashes are slightly more frequent when playing a game. However, I triple checked all temperatures, and without overclocking, neither the CPU nor GPU core even come close to potentially overheating. CPU average temp under load: inbetween 40-50C. GPU Core under load: 48-53C.

Test the RAM sticks individually, i had the EXACT same problem your having!

(mem test came back good every time)

i ran tests with one ram stick at a time to test the RAM stick and the socket maybe one or the other.

In my testing one of my RAM sticks went bad

Poor old gigabyte, I am seeing more and more posts regarding card or mobo issues from them. I suspect they have become victims of their own success and the quality control has suffered.

ASUS seems to be doing the same on newer boards but looks like they fixed most of those problems. In terms of AM3+ I have not had any issues with GIGABYTE or ASUS, both amazing boards.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

ASUS seems to be doing the same on newer boards but looks like they fixed most of those problems. In terms of AM3+ I have not had any issues with GIGABYTE or ASUS, both amazing boards.

Thats great to hear and I agree that both companies are great manufacturers ... i hope these issues with Gigabyte clear up quickly

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

Thats great to hear and I agree that both companies are great manufacturers ... i hope these issues with Gigabyte clear up quickly

Yea I do to, only companies I personally will buy motherboards from along side EVGA

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

The static from the speakers would make me think it's a grounding / PSU problem.

It's not a race to the bottom.

Just had shit-ton of problems with Gigabyte's X99 UD4P. RMA:ed it but the new one is also broken and the seller only wants to replace it with the same damn board. I bought it from Germany and they have a law which states that if they can't fix the item they must cancel the contract which means giving my money back. Wish me luck.

I just got brand new memory, so I doubt that's the issue. If you guys are saying it's the motherboard, then I'll try RMA'ing it, but I'm pretty sure I'll only be able to get the same motherboard again.

Unfortunately it isn't a PSU issue. A while ago, I tried a Corsair 600M for a week and that didn't change anything.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I just got brand new memory, so I doubt that's the issue. If you guys are saying it's the motherboard, then I'll try RMA'ing it, but I'm pretty sure I'll only be able to get the same motherboard again.

Unfortunately it isn't a PSU issue. A while ago, I tried a Corsair 600M for a week and that didn't change anything.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Most likely mobo. Cpus won't usually break so I'll say it's the mob.

• 3 months later...

Got an Asrock mobo to replace the Gigabyte one, and I've had no problems since!