Last thoughts before buying a controller for PC

Giganizer300PRO

XBOX controllers have the best support right. So does the Xbox One and the Xbox 360 controllers have the same support? Doesn't matter that much, coz the layout is the same and you can just use an emulator on old games if you have an Xbox One controller, right?

Dualshock 4 is IMO a better and nicer controller in every way, but it doesn't have nearly as much support as the XBOX and it's not supported on GTA V, which is the main reason why I am buying a controller in the first place. And there is no point in buying a DS4 to then use the XBOX scheme (I prefer the PS trigger scheme).

So in conclusion, the XBOX ONE seems like the best options in my eyes. 

What do you think?

So will any Xbox One controller work on PC wired, no matter where I buy it?

No the best option it's still the xbox 360 controller. The xbox one will be more expensive AND force you into windows 10. The 360 works with windows 7 if you ever want to try that and it has a lot more tried and true compatibility across more games.

Unless you're a big fighting games nut and absolutely want the xbone elite controller, I see no reason to spend extra on the xbone controller vs the 360 one. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

im using a ds4 now and i personally love it and it works well just that you have to remember the button yourself according to what you mapped them as or according to xbox 1 controller. Use inputmapper. And ds4 you can use a cheap bluetooth 4.0 dongle to connect it to pc so why not. 

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

No the best option it's still the xbox 360 controller. The xbox one will be more expensive AND force you into windows 10. The 360 works with windows 7 if you ever want to try that and it has a lot more tried and true compatibility across more games.

Unless you're a big fighting games nut and absolutely want the xbone elite controller, I see no reason to spend extra on the xbone controller vs the 360 one. 

My thoughts exactly. The XBox 360 controller has been around for a long time and has native support in Windows 7 through 10. Most games are compatible and the mappings will be correct (mostly).

Unless you want the XBox One Elite controller I'd say the 360 controller is the way to go.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Force me into Win 10?

Wait what??!

Are you serious? So I'll just need to update? 

I'm on 7 BTW.

As for the price it's not that much more expensive, only around $10, and it comes around the same if you buy a custom skin.

Force me into Win 10?

Wait what??!

Are you serious? So I'll just need to update? 

I'm on 7 BTW.

As for the price it's not that much more expensive, only around $10, and it comes around the same if you buy a custom skin.

Windows 10 only pal.

http://www.pcgamer.com/wireless-xbox-one-controllers-out-for-windows-10-only/

-------

Current Rig

-------

Go with the Dualshock 4. For the games that don't have native support, there's always DS4Windows or InputMapper, two light pieces of software that require no additional setup at all and just make the controller a crapton better on PC, give you full Xinput support, full remapping (even for keyboard inputs and media keys if you want a remote for movie watching), profiles and automatic profile switching, macros, fully functional multitouch pad... Plus you don't have to shell out an extra $50 for wireless connectivity and a battery pack unlike the Xbone controller...

What...

I call bullshit.

I guess now DS4 and Nvidia Shield are back on the table.

Unless they changed it since shortly after the launch of win10, xbone controllers work wired on 7. Its just the wireless receiver thats locked to 10.

The xbox one controller works fine on older versions of windows. I used mine on windows 7 for a while before upgrading. You just have to download the drivers from microsoft. Windows 10 is different in that it comes with the drivers pre installed.

So will any Xbox One controller work on PC wired, no matter where I buy it?

In case you missed it OP One controller works Fine on Windows 7 wired. I have not had any issues Im running 7 until Microsoft removes head from ass. But if you want wireless then you need 10. I dont know about you but I dont do Wireless.  

i7 5820k, Asus Deluxe x99 3.1 board, 2 Strix980tis Sli, Intel 480gb SSD, 4T WD Black, Asus PG278Q, Acer xb271hu, UpDesk! 

Use a DS4, you just need a tool that runs in the system tray and can be used with either BT or wired

01000100 01100001 01110010 01110101 01100100 01100101 00100000 00101101 00100000 01010011 01100001 01101110 01100100 01110011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01101101

Use a DS4, you just need a tool that runs in the system tray and can be used with either BT or wired

But the controls will be Xbox, so there's no point except for ergonomics and the touchpad. And the best thing about the DS / PS for me is the trigger control scheme (trigger at the top, aim at the bottom)

In case you missed it OP One controller works Fine on Windows 7 wired. I have not had any issues Im running 7 until Microsoft removes head from ass. But if you want wireless then you need 10. I dont know about you but I dont do Wireless.  

Neither do I. I have wired headphones, mouse and keyboard anyway.

Neither do I. I have wired headphones, mouse and keyboard anyway.

Go with the Dualshock 4. For the games that don't have native support, there's always DS4Windows or InputMapper, two light pieces of software that require no additional setup at all and just make the controller a crapton better on PC, give you full Xinput support, full remapping (even for keyboard inputs and media keys if you want a remote for movie watching), profiles and automatic profile switching, macros, fully functional multitouch pad... Plus you don't have to shell out an extra $50 for wireless connectivity and a battery pack unlike the Xbone controller...

So if a game detects an XBOX controller, I can remap the buttons so that I am using a PS control scheme?

So if a game detects an XBOX controller, I can remap the buttons so that I am using a PS control scheme?

The software does that automatically. Once installed and paired to the PC, you just hit the PS button (or plug it through USB) and the controller just works. In-game button prompts will still look like Xbox prompts unless the game has native support, though. :/

The software does that automatically. Once installed and paired to the PC, you just hit the PS button and the controller just works. In-game button prompts will still look like Xbox prompts unless the game has native support, though. :/

This is fine for me.

I'm getting a DS4.