Card 3 of 4 on GPU Loop (295X2) 10C+ Difference

I am running 2x 295X2 in quadfire, with koolance waterblocks. MSI AB and OpenHardwareMonitor both read that the 3rd GPU(out of the 4 GPUs on 2 cards) is running a full 10C+ hotter while under load. The rest are within a degree or two of one another (hovering around 60-63C under load for the other three). The problem child can reach 73 or 74C causing it to throttle. They are roughly the same temps at idle (Around 40C, I have ULPS disabled). Any ideas on how find the issue? I am using koolance waterblocks on the two cards, I have already tried repasting them. While in idle all 4 temps on all 4 cards are very close. Whilst underload, the temperaturature curve mimics the other 3 but is 10-12 degrees Celsius hotter. Could a bad temperature probecause this? Should I attempt to repaste again?  Thank you. (The teal/green line on the bottom is the CPU temp)

post-239189-0-35033100-1446287783_thumb.

Probably try running them on stock cooler and identify the issue. Maybe you could send the card for a much needed fix back to the manufacturer

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

I hadn't thought of the stock cooler idea. I made the mistake I putting on the block soon after I recieved the second one. Although the manufacturer wont do much if it is operating as advertised, wont be much to repair in that case.

With my old 680's I had one that would be like 10C hotter than the other.  Think it was silicon related.  Would also check to make sure you had good thermal paste clamping action by diasssembling and inspecting.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

It shouldn't throttle until 95c...

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I had the same once and found I had different OC settings on my cards.

A little knowledge is very dangerous
CPU: I7 6700K CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H110i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero GPU: 2x Asus GTX980 STRIX RAM: 4x4 (16GB) Corsair DDR4 Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 750GB SSD PSU: Corsair HX1000W Displays: 2xAsus PB287Q (4k) 2x1080 Monitors Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Mouse: 1xRazor Naga Elite 2x Razor Naga Sound: Asus Essence STX, Quad Elite Pre Amp, Quad 909 Power Amp, Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers Headphones: Logitech G930, Sennheiser Momentum Black Microphone: Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 802, Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro EQ OS: Windows 7 64bit

Yeah 75 is still great.

They set the throttle temp on the 295x2 at 75C because on the pump that sat on the gpu with the closed loop that came with it. Being im using aftermarket blocks this is now irrellevant, but its in the gpus BIOS

I had the same once and found I had different OC settings on my cards.

Did you determine this using stock software or did you have to use aftermarket software to determine it?

It shouldn't throttle until 95c...

I don't how to change the temp max thats on this cards BIOS, thats what AMD set it at because of the pump.

They set the throttle temp on the 295x2 at 75C because on the pump that sat on the gpu with the closed loop that came with it. Being im using aftermarket blocks this is now irrellevant, but its in the gpus BIOS

OIC, didn't know as my 295x2 is also underwater and only gets to 60C. :)

OIC, didn't know as my 295x2 is also underwater and only gets to 60C. :)

Then I am obviously doing something terribly wrong here.... ive got 2x 560 rads a 400 a 240 and 2x 140 rads. 2x 295x2's in the loop with coolance blocks and the cpu on a phobya block.  Noctua fans and ap182 for the radiators.. Except for the 2x 560's, I just have crap bin 140's on there.... The 60C's im getting on the other card is respectable is the 74C thats really bugging me. Hence this thread. Ill try repasting again and see where it gets me, switching the block might be a good idea too.

Then I am obviously doing something terribly wrong here.... ive got 2x 560 rads a 400 a 240 and 2x 140 rads. 2x 295x2's in the loop with coolance blocks and the cpu on a phobya block.  Noctua fans and ap182 for the radiators.. Except for the 2x 560's, I just have crap bin 140's on there.... The 60C's im getting on the other card is respectable is the 74C thats really bugging me. Hence this thread. Ill try repasting again and see where it gets me, switching the block might be a good idea too.

Woah thats some rad space. It must be something in the block/paste as I wouldn't expect anything less than amazing with that much radiator. Did this problem just occur and it was fine before, or is this a new card with a new block? Maybe even gunk in the cooling channels, I would take the block apart and clean it, could be particles from the rads or something.

Woah thats some rad space. It must be something in the block/paste as I wouldn't expect anything less than amazing with that much radiator. Did this problem just occur and it was fine before, or is this a new card with a new block? Maybe even gunk in the cooling channels, I would take the block apart and clean it, could be particles from the rads or something.

To be honest this is my first time trying a custom loop. I simply assembled everything and filled. Frustrated with the lack of performance however. A lot of rads to push through but I have 2 phobya 260 pumps in serial to push them. I could just disassemble everything and reassemble. Use that time to wash out the radiators and such. I didn't wash them out initially, or the blocks. Just hot water?

To be honest this is my first time trying a custom loop. I simply assembled everything and filled. Frustrated with the lack of performance however. A lot of rads to push through but I have 2 phobya 260 pumps in serial to push them. I could just disassemble everything and reassemble. Use that time to wash out the radiators and such. I didn't wash them out initially, or the blocks. Just hot water?

Rads don't add much restriction, you should be fine on flow. If you didn't clean out your stuff and you have that many rads you may have junk in your block obstructing the flow. For the rads you can wash them out with warm water or warm water and vinegar. For your blocks you may want to take the problem one apart and look at the flow channels for debris. You may be able to dislodge with water but for 100% you'll have to dissassemble.

R9 295X2 will throttle at 75C, its different from R9 290/X.

If your block is serial config, then 10C different is normal for dual core GPUs. That's why I always use parallel for my GPUs. 

Flush the block. I had to do that with a Koolance VID-NX680 after noticing a major temperature difference between two cards in SLI.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Flush the block. I had to do that with a Koolance VID-NX680 after noticing a major temperature difference between two cards in SLI.

Was it a physical obstruction? I'll give it a go then, I have to take it apart anyway so it will be a good opportunity.

Was it a physical obstruction? I'll give it a go then, I have to take it apart anyway so it will be a good opportunity.

I don't think it was an obstruction as I changed the configuration from serial to parallel without any significant change in outcome. But once I flushed the blocks the temperatures were about what one would expect between two graphics cards in SLI. If the temperatures didn't change, I would've returned both blocks to Koolance (bought both direct from them) for inspection or replacements.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6