Why do slot-loading optical drives cost so much?

SnoopRekt

So, today I was looking around the place for an optical drive for a HTPC I have in the pipeline; the case of which requires a slot loading drive, when I noticed just how expensive they were. I found an example in which a 6x Blu-ray slot-loader cost a full $20 AUD more than a 16x tray-loading 51/4" drive. Why exactly is this? Is it a difference in manufacturing or companies cranking the price for better profit on a lesser-selling item? Thanks in advance.

well, it needs to be smaller, and in the world of electronics smaller == more money.

EDIT: also, for as little optical drives that ship these days, slot-loading drives sell even less, thats a factor as well.

slot loading drives are a lot more complex

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

There's much less demand for them, and they physically cost more to make.

"Rawr XD"

there more complex and they sell less of them so they have to have a higher margin

slot loading drives are a lot more complex

What the devil is a slot loading drive?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

What the devil is a slot loading drive?

Its a drive where you put the disk into the side of the machine instead of having a tray come out where you place the drive

like on macs

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Its a drive where you put the disk into the side of the machine instead of having a tray come out where you place the drive

like on macs

i.e. a much better drive (until it breaks and refuses to eject the disc -- some are far more annoying to get the disc out of).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Ok, so I guess I'll get a slot-loader just for convenience, I guess. Keep an eye-out for it in the future.