GTX 980 SLI with One Reference Card and One Non-Reference

Hey guys,

Just wanna know if it is better to have one GTX 980 Non-Reference design (EVGA FTW ACX 2.0 Cooler) and another GTX 980 REFERENCE design in SLI configuration? I saw one of the latest videos from linustechtips which is titled " Video Card Ventilation"  and they say that with a non reference design on top and a reference design on the bottom the top card will run at 74 degrees. Which is a lot better compared to the 2 SLI REFERENCE card which will make the top one run at 84 degrees.

Thanks

Yep. reference on top and aftermarket on the bottom for better temps.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

They said aftermarket on top and reference on bottom, is that what you meant? because they show a photo of it in their video the way i mentioned.

The only drawback is: The non-reference cards are overclocked and are faster by 5-10%, in that exact configuration the faster card is going to perform as fast as the slower one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Yeah perfectly compatible

The blower fan takes out the heat and generaly the aftermarket not but has better temps, it depends on your case airflow

Also you can try both configs

They said aftermarket on top and reference on bottom, is that what you meant? because they show a photo of it in their video the way i mentioned.

What's your airflow like?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

What's your airflow like?

i consider it good, its a corsair 780T graphite case, with two 140mm fans on the front, 2 140mm fans attached to radiator on top pulling exhaust (out of the case) and 120mm fan at the back.

Do that bro

I had to go full ghetto with 2 no reference cards to get good temps

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Hey guys,

Just wanna know if it is better to have one GTX 980 Non-Reference design (EVGA FTW ACX 2.0 Cooler) and another GTX 980 REFERENCE design in SLI configuration? I saw one of the latest videos from linustechtips which is titled " Video Card Ventilation"  and they say that with a non reference design on top and a reference design on the bottom the top card will run at 74 degrees. Which is a lot better compared to the 2 SLI REFERENCE card which will make the top one run at 84 degrees.

Thanks

yeah, reference on top and non-reference on bottom.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

i consider it good, its a corsair 780T graphite case, with two 140mm fans on the front, 2 140mm fans attached to radiator on top pulling exhaust (out of the case) and 120mm fan at the back.

Reference on top then.

Reference on top then.

I currently have the two gtx 980 REFERENCES in SLI and I got a deal to swap one of them for the EVGA ACX 2.0 aftermarket gtx 980, should i do it? will the temperature actually improve?

Reference on top then.

But then all the heat from the non-reference card goes onto the reference one since heat goes up. I'd recommend the other way around.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I currently have the two gtx 980 REFERENCES in SLI and I got a deal to swap one of them for the EVGA ACX 2.0 aftermarket gtx 980, should i do it? will the temperature actually improve?

Yes. In your configuration you might actually be able to pull off an OK OC on the reference if you put it in on top.

Even if they don't improve the temps, they shouldn't get worse, I'd choose the EVGA one, it's better and can sell for a bit more in a few years.

But then all the heat from the non-reference card goes onto the reference one since heat goes up. I'd recommend the other way around.

The non-reference would be starved for air in the top.

The non-reference would be starved for air in the top.

As they generally run cooler than the reference designs, the reference card on top getting hot by itself, with the 'help' of hot air from the non-reference card below might throttle. Even a starved from air non-reference EVGA ACX 2.0 one should not throttle if it was on top imo.

As they generally run cooler than the reference designs, the reference card on top getting hot by itself, with the 'help' of hot air from the non-reference card below might throttle. Even a starved from air non-reference EVGA ACX 2.0 one should not throttle if it was on top imo.

@atos28 Is there a gap between the cards? Like, are they on decently spaced PCI lanes?

@atos28 Is there a gap between the cards? Like, are they on decently spaced PCI lanes?

Hope you help OP in his issue, I gotta go, good luck ^^

There is a gap, one whole PCIE slot gap, the cards are not sandwiched against each other. Card one used slot 2&3 and card 2 uses slot 5&6 so there is 1 slot PCIE gap.

There is a gap, one whole PCIE slot gap, the cards are not sandwiched against each other. Card one used slot 2&3 and card 2 uses slot 5&6 so there is 1 slot PCIE gap.

Then in that case, put the reference on the bottom.

Then in that case, put the reference on the bottom.

one more question, can I expect better temperatures if i do that? (aftermarket on top and reference on bottom). I currently have 2 Reference in SLI and the top one reaches around 74 degrees, can I expect better with the aftermarket on top? my ambient room temp is 22 degrees. Basically to keep the top one at 74 degrees, it is really loud and the reason I want aftermarket on top is because I think it will be less loud and more cooler? what do you think?