Running Folding@Home off a flash drive?

Go to solution Solved by Whaler_99,

First off - it is not allowed by Pande or Stanford to run the Folding client on any system which you are not the sole owner of or have direct permission to use.

Second, I have seen people try this, for large groups of systems, and you basically need to install locally on every system. After that, you can use something liek Group Policy or such for pushing out new config files...

Your school also has an acceptable use policy which most assurdely only allows the use of authorized software. So, you would need written permission to do this. Esp as you will increase the heat the systems produce and electrivity they use. They will notice their power bill going esp, more so if the AC is needed more as well.

FYI - I know of direct cases where someone has been fired for doing this on work systems without permission and where someone has been expelled from school, again for trying this without permission. Do not do it unless you get written permission from whomever manages the IT for the school also indicating that your are Folding and heat and electricity use will be a direct cause.

I was wondering if it was possible, so I would be able to use it temporarily on random computers. I have already installed it but I am yet to test it, will it attempt to modify registry files or write any data onto random computers if I execute the program on them? I was planning to run it on computers at my school (not sure if it break there acceptable use policy, but I think I could bluff my way out if it does), so will it flash any alarm bells?

| Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus | MSI P67A-G45 | i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz |  Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus | EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition 2GB | 8GB (2X4GB) Mushkin Blackline @ 1600MHz | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green | Corsair 600CX V2 | Windows 7 64-bit |

I was planning to run it on computers at my school 

1 you are not owned that PC

2 you are not paying any $ for electricity

3 you are not paying any $ for ethernet

//edited

P.S.soz.... that im mad about last part wich was offensive....

Edited by darksoulinside

// so plz grow up...

Can you please explain what you meant by that last statement, as I find it offensive. You do have a perfectly valid point about the 3 above it though, it's just a shame you ruined it with that sterotype. Although my comment on ethernet would be firstly ethernet does not cost anything, so I am presuming you are referring to internet which a school would not run off of anything but an unlimited plan, and even if it did not F@H does not use much data at all, only for downloading the work unit to fold and uploading the results...

| Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus | MSI P67A-G45 | i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz |  Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus | EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition 2GB | 8GB (2X4GB) Mushkin Blackline @ 1600MHz | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green | Corsair 600CX V2 | Windows 7 64-bit |

F@H doesn't use that much bandwidth but it would really FRYYYY those PC's that schools use. Ok back to the topic I dont think its possible to run F@H without installing it.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, MSI GTX 560TI Twin Frozr 2, 2x500GB drives, cheapo 500w PSU, cheapo HP Pavilion Elite m9000 case
#KilledMyWife

Also if you want to do this to get more points just leave F@H on light mode when you are using your PC and on max at night

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, MSI GTX 560TI Twin Frozr 2, 2x500GB drives, cheapo 500w PSU, cheapo HP Pavilion Elite m9000 case
#KilledMyWife

F@H doesn't use that much bandwidth but it would really FRYYYY those PC's that schools use. Ok back to the topic I dont think its possible to run F@H without installing it.

Lol I don't think it would fry them, I'd only use one core or something :) Thinking about that though probably not a good idea, I was experimenting with putting it on a memory stick but it seemed to create a config file on startup with my computer specifics, so I don't think a standard exe install would work. I am still curious about if its possible though if anyone else has any ideas!

Also if you want to do this to get more points just leave F@H on light mode when you are using your PC and on max at night

I would leave it on at night, except my computer is under my bed and my room gets pretty hot, I just leave it on full when I am not gaming.

// so plz grow up...

You pay school fees for a reason... So yes I would say its fine to run them on the computers, That's if you can get it working on a Flash drive.

\

// so plz grow up...

Please watch the language - the user was asking a valid question. You can answer with your pros and cons, but the last line is not needed in this forum!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

First off - it is not allowed by Pande or Stanford to run the Folding client on any system which you are not the sole owner of or have direct permission to use.

Second, I have seen people try this, for large groups of systems, and you basically need to install locally on every system. After that, you can use something liek Group Policy or such for pushing out new config files...

Your school also has an acceptable use policy which most assurdely only allows the use of authorized software. So, you would need written permission to do this. Esp as you will increase the heat the systems produce and electrivity they use. They will notice their power bill going esp, more so if the AC is needed more as well.

FYI - I know of direct cases where someone has been fired for doing this on work systems without permission and where someone has been expelled from school, again for trying this without permission. Do not do it unless you get written permission from whomever manages the IT for the school also indicating that your are Folding and heat and electricity use will be a direct cause.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I know, certainly a bad idea, and now thinking about it, it would probably take a year to complete a whole work unit! I was curious to whether it would work at all for future reference but looks as though it's not at the moment. Thanks for the help!

Get permission first. if they let you, you can get some good ppd

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Is it possible to run F@H off a flash drive? Yes. I've done it before but it's been many years since I've done it.

Although 1 of 2 ways has been eliminated with F@H client v7. With v6, you could run the client directly without installing it. Although V6 is dieing so it's not worth running it.

The only other way to run F@H off a USB drive now is running it with an OS.

Although It require a large usb drive to hold a full OS (ubuntu, Mint, ect), updates for the OS, F@H program, the WU's, and enough space left over for some wear and tear.

Basicly, 16 GB drive is the absolute minimal from what I remember that is recommended. 

It's also possible to Network boot a computer with no HDD/SSD and fold on them as well. (Or at least there use to be with "Notfred Diskless". Although he hasn't updated in a few years so alternative methods would need to be done.)

Now, Should you be running it off computers that isn't yours. As Whaler point out, No unless you got permission.

Hope this helps.

Is it possible to run F@H off a flash drive? Yes. I've done it before but it's been many years since I've done it.

Although 1 of 2 ways has been eliminated with F@H client v7. With v6, you could run the client directly without installing it. Although V6 is dieing so it's not worth running it.

The only other way to run F@H off a USB drive now is running it with an OS.

Although It require a large usb drive to hold a full OS (ubuntu, Mint, ect), updates for the OS, F@H program, the WU's, and enough space left over for some wear and tear.

Basicly, 16 GB drive is the absolute minimal from what I remember that is recommended. 

It's also possible to Network boot a computer with no HDD/SSD and fold on them as well. (Or at least there use to be with "Notfred Diskless". Although he hasn't updated in a few years so alternative methods would need to be done.)

Now, Should you be running it off computers that isn't yours. As Whaler point out, No unless you got permission.

Hope this helps.

I think that all boot menus are locked at all schools right? at least at my school they locked the boot loader with a password so you cant load a different os

#KilledMyWife

I think that all boot menus are locked at all schools right? at least at my school they locked the boot loader with a password so you cant load a different os

You would hope at least.

I did know of one high school that I when to that didn't. At least on the netbooks that they issued to the students.

(Computers that stayed in the school where locked down but the netbooks that you could take home weren't on the bootloader/bios.)